ForumsWEPRObama, 2012-2016 President of the United States of America

255 72423
superbobdabest
superbobdabest
305 posts
Nomad

Well he won.

274-203

Romney got more votes but Obama got more elecrol votes.

COMMENT!

• 255 Replies
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

And my original point still stands, that enhanced interrogation preserves the safety of a state.

What will be your opinion, if this happenns to you or to some relative of your's?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murat_Kurnaz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakhdar_Boumediene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_Six

Links fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murat_Kurnaz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakhdar_Boumediene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_Six

One question, are these prisoners considered prisoners of war? If so does that not mean they should be granted treatment as stated in the Geneva Conventions, where torture is considered a grave breach of said treaty?
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I seem to remember that when Bush set up Guantamano Bay the people he imprisoned were not considered prisoners of war therefore the Geneva Conventions did not apply to them, according to the regime in power then. MageGreyWolf

ldslarson
ldslarson
59 posts
Nomad

Depressing I wish Romney would of held in the a little bit longer

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Depressing I wish Romney would of held in the a little bit longer

For what? He was going to lose...not much he could have done
EnigmaX
EnigmaX
101 posts
Nomad

In response to the links:

I honestly don't care. Other interrogation sessions led to information that ultimately enabled the killing of Bin Laden. So an occassional mistake is allowable because the end of state security is still achieved.

What will be your opinion

You sure you want it? You don't seem to let me speak without screaming for a lawyer or physics professor as a source. XD

At this very moment, it wouldn't happen to me because I'm not nor have any desire to be an enemy of the US. And if happned to my relative, they must be an enemy of the US and so they got what was coming to them. Terrorist have no rights.

One question, are these prisoners considered prisoners of war? If so does that not mean they should be granted treatment as stated in the Geneva Conventions, where torture is considered a grave breach of said treaty?

Geneva Conventions apply to legal participants in war; terrorists are not legal participants given the very nature of terrorism. More specifically, the Islamic Extremists have voided any claim they have to the Geneva Conventions since they have deliberately targeted civilians, buildings and vehicles clearly emblazoned with the red cross, etc, etc.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

At this very moment, it wouldn't happen to me because I'm not nor have any desire to be an enemy of the US. And if happned to my relative, they must be an enemy of the US and so they got what was coming to them. Terrorist have no rights.

What if some third party did it to you or your family.
EnigmaX
EnigmaX
101 posts
Nomad

What if some third party did it to you or your family.

You're changing the parameters of the question; explain the vague details.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

What if some third country abducts and tortures you or your relatives on the name of National Security. ?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

At this very moment, it wouldn't happen to me because I'm not nor have any desire to be an enemy of the US

What if someone made an outrageous claim that you or your family was a part of a terrorist organization and the US decided to torture you for info? They have no proof, other than a claim someone made

Many people tortured were not, nor had any desire to be an enemy of the US...but someone made a claim they were so.

More specifically, the Islamic Extremists have voided any claim they have to the Geneva Conventions since they have deliberately targeted civilians, buildings and vehicles clearly emblazoned with the red cross, etc, etc

What about members of say, the Taliban, who aren't terrorists (but merely members of a rebel group) but still get tortured on occasion?
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

the Taliban, who aren't terrorists

In my view, if you use terror as a weapon, you are a terrorist. This makes the taliban and the u.s army terrorists.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

In my view, if you use terror as a weapon, you are a terrorist. This makes the taliban and the u.s army terrorists.

Just because they strike fear in you doesn't make them terrorists.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

oxford definition of terrorism:
the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims

us army is (mostly) official and authorized.

for the rest... yea they are the same.
EnigmaX
EnigmaX
101 posts
Nomad

What if some third country abducts and tortures you or your relatives on the name of National Security. ?

Loaded question. You're automatically assuming the innocence of an individual without examining the context of the circumstances.

What about members of say, the Taliban, who aren't terrorists (but merely members of a rebel group) but still get tortured on occasion?

Whether they are or are not a terrorist has nothing to do with it. The Taliban has been do umented to do the aforemention actions. So I'm not seeing what your point is.

What if someone made an outrageous claim that you or your family was a part of a terrorist organization and the US decided to torture you for info? They have no proof, other than a claim someone made

Many people tortured were not, nor had any desire to be an enemy of the US...but someone made a claim they were so.

A state will use its resources in the most effective means possible. So the US will investigate such a claim before acting because thats the most prudent thing to do. Because someone who makes the claims could just as easily be trying to convict others and hide his own guilt. Pragmatism anyone?

us army is (mostly) official and authorized.
for the rest... yea they are the same.

Apples and tomatoes are both red and come from plants. Theres a few other details, but for he most part they are the same. Right?
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Loaded question. You're automatically assuming the innocence of an individual without examining the context of the circumstances.

I left you with out an answer!
Showing 136-150 of 255