ForumsThe TavernDoes age matter in relationships?

40 6416
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

We've all heard this story about the 72 year old who married an 18 year old girl. That's obviously the extreme side to the scale but what do you think about someone who was 13 years old and another that was 16? Would you say the same thing for someone who is 23 years old and 26? I personally think that in high school at least (I'm 14 so this is really all that I have experienced) that I'd say anywhere between 0-2 1/2 years is alright. Do you think differently? Is it possible that if the connection was strong enough age wouldn't matter? Please tell.

• 40 Replies
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

I think that from when your say 0-18 you shouldn't really go out with anyone anymore then 2-3 years older after that up to 10 years different is the most I would say is ok after I think its kind of wrong.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

13-16 is weird because of maturity differences and also I think you might be made fun of for going out with a thirteen-year-old. But you be the judge.

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

intelligence matters, and intelligence comes partly with age. If two people truly are compatible with each other, age shouldn't matter. this rule only applies when both parties are over 18 though. I do not condone statutory ****, even with the smartest of t(w)eens.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

intelligence comes partly with age.

Not really. Most of what comes from age is experience and knowledge.

I don't think age matters too much in relationships (except in obviously non-applicable age ranges...). Also, in case you all forgot, there's more to a relationship than sexual things.

The biggest thing with an age gap is likely going to be differences in interests. Each generation kind of has their own thing and while it's not impossible for those far apart in age to be compatible, people who are closer in age are more likely to have more in common (which is one of the most important factors for a relationship).

You have to consider this too, as one gets older, each year holds less importance as it's backed by more. Really though, this topic always comes down to one thing: underage/teen relationships consisting of a substantially older partner on one end.
red303
red303
7,571 posts
Shepherd

I think it definetly matters when they're kids. But a 7-year gap between two married adults won't really bother me.

collimore
collimore
45 posts
Peasant

My friend's parents are 13 years apart which I don't see as a problem. I agree with everyone else who is saying later in life it doesn't matter as much. Like, right now I'm in high school but I wouldn't consider dating someone in college or middle school....Later in life I don't think those 3 or 4 years matter much.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

We've all heard this story about the 72 year old who married an 18 year old girl

One word, money,lots and lots of money. Killersup can almost guarantee it.
JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

I think it does matter a little bit. I mean I don't mind it being at least 10 years apart. It's just really weird to think about. I do have a question though, Do you think it's weird when the girl is older than the guy?

Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

I think that it could ruin a long term relationship if it were before they were out of high school. but when they were out (or as close as senior year) it doesn't matter in 3- 5 year difference.

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Love goes past all bounds. It doesn't really matter, unless it's only for money/ulterior methods.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Money for the young lady, young lady for the old guy But even in such relations the two partners can develop affection for each other.

I do have a question though, Do you think it's weird when the girl is older than the guy?

If the difference is substancial: Unusual, yes. Weird, not necessarily.
If it's just a few years, I don't think it's even unusual. Less frequent at most.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

i couldnt imagine someone older then me dating me. i mean, i dont normally go for that stuff anyway, but a 3 year age difference is a little much for me.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Money for the young lady, young lady for the old guy But even in such relations the two partners can develop affection for each other.

Also, fame for the young lady. She stays with him for two years,about the time it takes for everyone to forget about her. Then she divorces, and takes half the big fat check with her.
MagicTree
MagicTree
749 posts
Nomad

I agree with pang, as a 10 year old and a 15 year old dating isn't right, but a 20 year old and a 25 year old is fine. I think that the max depends on your age, but once over 20, I think the max is about 15 at most.

phoenixzed
phoenixzed
14 posts
Jester

if it is more than 5 age yeah

Showing 16-30 of 40