ForumsThe TavernAny tics and/or nervous habits?

17 2772
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So pretty straight-forward..any tics and/or nervous habits you have? Does it bother you? Do people notice? If they do how do they react? etc.

For me...I have a tic with my neck. I am constantly flexing it (best word to describe it)..basically it looks like this:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhnH1JV3WN1kgBPwl1xPAZ2sh-iB8_UlZTiDHd-kn-gwYBXQvWIw
P.S. for any that would think so for some reason...that isn't me...

Except...I'm not working out when I'm doing it..

For people noticing..there are times where people notice right away but wait a bit before asking about it (don't want to be rude)...other times it takes the person a while before they notice...with both groups, however, the question usually goes like this - "What do you keep doing with your neck?!"

It doesn't really bug me with how people react to it...though there are times where once they notice they just stare at my neck watching it keep happening..which makes me nervous...which makes it worse

Usually doesn't bug me..unless it gets into a nervous stage (normally..it is on "every now and then" time frame...but when I get nervous..or notice I am doing it more frequently due to being nervous..it happens very quickly one after the other...and it becomes very irritating on my neck -_-â¢

tl;dr - I gots a neck tic..people usually notice, but when they notice fluctuates. It gets worse/more frequent when I'm nervous

• 17 Replies
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I don't really have any nervous habits any more.
When I was younger, if someone was talking to me that I didn't know exceptionally well, I used to be all shaky with my hands.
Haven't been like that for a few years, though.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

When I was younger, if someone was talking to me that I didn't know exceptionally well, I used to be all shaky with my hands.

My hands are only shaky when I'm sober! Ermm, I mean..Next slide!

It's not really a nervous habit (although it could be?), but I find my myself absentmindedly cracking my knuckles when someone is talking to me who I really don't care to talk to. That, and blink far too much.
Yup.
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Wow, nice Pecs bro.

Anyways, I do suffer from Tourette's syndrome and used to twitch all over and do some other funny stuff like screaming out of the sudden and making strange noises.

For people noticing..there are times where people notice right away but wait a bit before asking about it (don't want to be rude)...other times it takes the person a while before they notice...with both groups, however, the question usually goes like this - "What do you keep doing with your neck?!"

I know how that feel bro, I was constantly bullied in the past for my Tourette's, even by teachers, since from where I was in the past, Tourette's syndrome wasn't well known... Now, at least I had less twitching and weird noises and get along well with others...
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I used to pull out my hair when was little. That made for an interesting 5th grade.
Now a days, I find myself tapping or moving my foot while sitting, but that's it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I like to twirl and twist my hair when I'm in an exam. And I'm a guy.

MagicTree
MagicTree
749 posts
Nomad

I like to twirl and twist my hair when I'm in an exam. And I'm a guy.

I do that too but not for exams and not when I'm nervous. When I'm nervous I start shaking.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

For me when I'm nervous I pace, and when I say that I mean I pace more than usual, which is quite a bit. Other than that though not much really that I'm aware of.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I usually drum my fingers on whatever is available... Only irritated one person so far.

Either that, or I pop my jaw. Weird as it may seem, I found the way to crack my jaw, just like when you crack your knuckles.

My hands are only shaky when I'm sober! Ermm, I mean..Next slide!

WHOAH! A moderator cracked a joke!! It's the end of an era!
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

A habit, I stare at people I dislike or if they do something that bothers me. Even if they look at me I'll still stare, dunno why. It doesn't bother me and they definitely notice, but nothing bad has came from it.

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I tap my foot when excited and stare at people when I'm thinking. People only notice the staring and ask why. I then realize I was staring and begin to explain I wasn't trying to stare.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

For me...I have a tic with my neck. I am constantly flexing it (best word to describe it)..basically it looks like this:

I know someone who does that. He also stretches his jaw when he does that. Anyways, I tap my heel on the floor to get rid of nervous energy. I also mess with my hair, meaning my hair never looks good.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Killersup will start tapping his foot and completely zone out. Like for a half-hour at a time some days.

collimore
collimore
45 posts
Peasant

I do this weird thing whenever I'm taking tests or nervous... I kind of... brush my hair at the end of my ponytail against my mouth? I don't really know how to describe it but people ask me all the time if I'm eating my hair.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

So it that sorta like a different version of the beard/goatee rubbing whilst being thoughtful? Sounds almost like it.
Except, you know, minus the beard or goatee part.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I tend to flinch easily... Very easily. Would that be a nervous habit? ;P

Showing 1-15 of 17