ForumsWEPRDo you believe in Global warming?

81 31053
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I personaly think the politics do talk about this to scare us. Everyone is worried about how to stop Global warming when what we should be more worried about wheather it is caused by man. I believe Global warming does exist but it is just natural cycle that the Earth's average temprature goes through. Earth naturally heats and cools as time goes on and I think we should except the change than rather stop it.

• 81 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Now, if you please, Palpatine, explain you graph to the gentleman here. We can't continue if all we do is throw around "BS", as PartyDevil so eloquently put it.

I'm not Palpatine, but, if I may..? Thanks.

In Palpatine's second graph, the coloured sections don't all go down to the base line, they're on top of each other and sum up to a total of 80%, GB having something like 20% in 1900.

Could someone however explain me why he showed this graph at all?

The graph with the pirate numbers is not the best example for correlation=/=causation, honestly. I know where it comes from, but no statistician would suggest a correlation, as the GTA rises close to linear in a regular fashion, while the number of pirates first rises by a bit and then sinks non-linearly.

Concerning the CO2 issue, noone can dismiss a close correlation of atmospheric CO2 content and global temperature; it does not mean, as mentioned, that CO2 is the cause; it could be the other way around. I personally think it's kind of both, and there are too many other factors influencing temperature to reduce it down to only those two elements.
One of the links said that CO2 is a "boon for the biosphere"; it is, in short-time, for the terrestrian biosphere. But it can be detrimental if it's influence on climate comes out to be disproportionally stronger than the beneficial influence; and if it is so, humans are pushing the balance to the detrimental side. Besides, the excess CO2, dissolved in the oceans, harms the coral reefs which are an essential part of the marine biosphere. So one should be careful to shout out "guilty" or "innocent" all the same.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Could someone however explain me why he showed this graph at all?

dunno, probably the same as that pirates thingy.
SeaTurtle
SeaTurtle
116 posts
Nomad

I believe in climate change, I think global warming is a deceptive term, because while in many places summers are getting warmer, other places are having frigid winters. We've seen a lot of weather extremes lately, but that includes blizzards and rainstorms as well as drought. I also think mankind's role in all this is overstated. We need to be careful how we use our natural resources and how we treat the environment, but focusing on more pressing, tangible issues like deforestation and extinction would be a better idea. We have the power to fix a lot of our environmental issues already, lets focus on those before poring money into "climate change" when don't have a real solution.

SonOfVader
SonOfVader
110 posts
Blacksmith

Guys, the Pastafarians have conclusive and undeniable evidence that there is a direct correlation between climate change and fluctuations in the levels of piracy on the high seas:

PiratesVsTemp.png&w=600&h=400&ei=mATqUJy-JM3N0AWgkoCYAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=4&vpy=133&dur=2700&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=181&ty=123&sig=113750046494895180697&amp<i class=age=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=212&start=0&ndsp=59&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:88" alt="http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=989&tbm=isch&tbnid=CJY-fTYNFdoUPM:&imgrefurl=http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/&docid=61leGrj9nauRFM&imgurl=http://www.venganza.org/images/PiratesVsTemp.png&w=600&h=400&ei=mATqUJy-JM3N0AWgkoCYAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=4&vpy=133&dur=2700&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=181&ty=123&sig=113750046494895180697&ampage=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=212&start=0&ndsp=59&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:88" />

Scientists: 0
Climate change deniers: 0
Flying Spaghetti monster: 1

xxBoogeymaNxx
xxBoogeymaNxx
83 posts
Nomad

Anyone who looks outside or watches the news can tell that the climate is changing. It's slightly obvious that it is when the polar ice caps which have been there 10,000 years are suddenly meting and breaking away. Also, where I live, this winter and last winter have been the two mildest winters this area has had in recent history. I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it sound, however. Simply put, we are going to survive. Any drastic changes in climate and temperature that might have even the remote possibility or affecting our survivability as a species on Earth realistically isn't going to happen within our lifetime, or our kid's lifetimes, or their kid's lifetimes etc. Also, who is to say that Earth doesn't change it's climates naturally throughout time in some sort of a cycle?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Also, where I live, this winter and last winter have been the two mildest winters this area has had in recent history.

Congratz on your isolated mildness. A multi-state blizzard producing about a foot of snow over the midwest, and another blizzard producing more in the northeast a few days later say otherwise.
xxBoogeymaNxx
xxBoogeymaNxx
83 posts
Nomad

Yeah but where I live, we were only hit with bout 2 inches of that,

Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

A multi-state blizzard producing about a foot of snow over the midwest

If I'm reading that right that storm passed right over me, I got enough wind and rain to knock out power for about 2 hours. And thats not exactly hard to do where I live, and that storm was the worst yet but was extremely mild for what I'm used to. Chicago is in its second extremely mild winter in a row after several really bad ones.
xxBoogeymaNxx
xxBoogeymaNxx
83 posts
Nomad

@Moe Exactly what I'm saying. I live in Ohio and we have only gotten bout 2 - 3 inches of snow so far this year in the area I live, and last year was one of the driest years on record for both snow and rain.

theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

The weather everywhere has been getting quite severe lately. It's probably due to humans screwing with the chemical composistion of the atmosphere: Adding waaaay more carbon from all the coal burning, etc.
Of course, throughout history, temperatures have fluctuated...regularly. This recent one bypasses all others except for maybe the Ice Age.
So yeah, I definitely believe in Global Warming being caused by irresponsible, ignorant, overeducated cubicle mice that dont know how to survive without an Iphone or McDonalds or *grumble grumble*
Check my profile to find out why I can't stand modern civilization.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

A multi-state blizzard producing about a foot of snow over the midwest

Goin with what Moe said..not all of the midwest was hit. Some of Missouri had little to no snow (then again..that state is known for its insanely random weather)
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Yeah but where I live, we were only hit with bout 2 inches of that,

winter is 4 months late here. just like last year. gonna start next week. (finally)
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Whatever the heck is going on, I'm going to get mighty pissed if my island gets flooded in a few decades.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Guys, the Pastafarians have conclusive and undeniable evidence that there is a direct correlation between climate change and fluctuations in the levels of piracy on the high seas:

As I said already in another thread.. no statistician in his/her right mind would suggest a real correlation in this graph, what with the extremely non-linear evolution of pirate numbers... (Yes, I know you were not being serious, or at least I hope so. Still.)

Also, who is to say that Earth doesn't change it's climates naturally throughout time in some sort of a cycle?

It does, and I realize more and more that very few people are aware of that.

It's probably due to humans screwing with the chemical composistion of the atmosphere

CHEMTRAILS!! Oh wait no...

Whatever the heck is going on, I'm going to get mighty pissed if my island gets flooded in a few decades.

Is there a serious risk? How much meter above sealevel are you?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Is there a serious risk? How much meter above sealevel are you?

I don't know exactly, but we can take 2 more metres tops,
Showing 46-60 of 81