ForumsGamesFinal Fantasy Discussion

25 5457
theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

From 1 to 13 and everything in between; argue over which FF game is the best of them all, tips to win in one of them, etc. Anything FF related welcome.

• 25 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

my favorite is 10, my least favourite is 2 and even though my favourite is 10 i think 6 was generally the best. im still wondering why they remade 3 and not 6 or 7

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

X is my favorite as well, but it was also my first. I've enjoyed the ones that followed, even though many people hate on them.

I'm working on VI, VIII, and IX at the moment. I've stalled out on each one for some reason, but one day, I'll finish them! *shakesfist*

And I guess Lightning Returns is next? I love Lightning and all, but I'm ready to move on from the XIII universe.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

up to 10 it was great. but then something happend to the story writer. so since 10-2 it all went down story wise.

but also gameplay has gone down massively.
since 10-2 it doesn't feel or plays like a FF anymore.
there was 1 where you basically do not have to fight anymore. just walk up to the enemey and the computer will sort out the fighting.
and the last game that is time based sucks aswell. when i play a FF i want turn base battles. not real time battles. and that is why i will never buy another FF anymore. it was the best rpg serie untill FFX. FFX-2 was still a bit funny. but not that good as FFX. after FFX-2 it's all ****.

ow and 9 is my fav.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

im still wondering why they remade 3 and not 6 or 7

they remade 7 for the ps3.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Question..who here is actually going to take into account of the different numeration between Japan and Western world with the games?

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I respectively disagree partydevil. I believe square enix has done a find job of evolving the combat system. The story is a different matter, but let me break down briefly, starting with FFX. And I'll get more in depth if you me to.

FFX
Story: Awesome.
Characters: Great. I feel like every main character was well developed.
Battle-System: Great. SE perfected turn based combat with this one, imo.

FFX-2
Story: Ok. It was fun and yes, it was very girly. But it at the same time, it felt insignificant after all that happened in FFX.
Characters: It only had a few compared to FFX, but none of them really brought much to the table. Payne had her little story, but I didn't really care.
Combat: Fun fun. Timing and coordination was very important, and the battledress system added a cool new element.

FFXII
Story: The story was strong, but the pacing was awful. I can remember going through entire zones without a hint of dialouge.
Characters: Some of my favorite characters are in 12, but that doesn't entirely make up for the fact that most of them were very underdeveloped
Combat: I never tinkered that much with Gambits to be honest. I controlled everything manually, so it really felt like a mix of X and X-2. Which was great!

FFXIII
Story: Once you move past the barrage of new terms, 13 has a good "us against" the world story. There are some odd moments of logic, but it was good all in all.
Characters: A good cast. Everyone had the spotlight atleast once, and each character developed well. They could still be annoying at times...
Combat: Fast and fun. It really only opens up towards the end of the game though, and on harder opponents.

FFXIII-2
Story: Too outlandish, imo. SE had a good foundation for a story after 13, rebuilding civilization on a hostile planet. Instead, we get some wierd time travel junk.
Characters: Didn't care to be honest. Aside from Caius being a good villain, there wasn't much for me to like.
Combat: A subtley improved 13 system. The new monster collection system added a nice twist, but I would have rather have had a third party member.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

FFXII
Story: The story was strong, but the pacing was awful. I can remember going through entire zones without a hint of dialouge.
Characters: Some of my favorite characters are in 12, but that doesn't entirely make up for the fact that most of them were very underdeveloped
Combat: I never tinkered that much with Gambits to be honest. I controlled everything manually, so it really felt like a mix of X and X-2. Which was great!

i actually hated the story... i found myself forgeting why im doing things and the whole game felt like a history lesson.

at first i didnt like the characters, then after thinking alittle bit i realised those were cool characters stuck in a bad story.

i also hated the combat. and btw. if you didnt use gambits did you actually manually controled ALL 3 members? that probably made the game even slower

i havnt played any game after 12 and im still playing 4.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i think final fantasy has been around more then its been welcome... i only played 1,2 and 7-10 but those few 4 i played are fun but from what i seen over the years there are WAY MORE then enough FF games

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Question..who here is actually going to take into account of the different numeration between Japan and Western world with the games?

for me the serie starts at 6. (english start)
i did play 1, 2 and 3 aswell. but didn't really like it. my 1st was FF7. and thats kinda how i remember the serie most. the 2D from above games didn't give me the FF feeling. (except for the characters.)

I never tinkered that much with Gambits to be honest.

if you did you simply had to run to a enemy and then do nothing at all. the computer does all the battles and you just run around. it was the most boring FF ever.

Combat: Fast and fun.

not what i want from a FF game.
i want to be able to take the time. get a cup of coffee and a snack.
think out a good tactic.

also if you are not a leveling person but rather follow the story. then this game gives a huge problem somewhere in the middle of the game. where you are not hard enough to fight the enemies yet. but also are not able to walk back to the previous screen. i.e. your stuck. i got stuck 2 times and then threw away the game. i will never play another FF anymore unless they go back to the turn base fighting system. and there must be a hype among other people that dislike the new FF's that the new game is actually good.

I believe square enix has done a find job of evolving the combat system.

for me it is the same as if AC would go back to their counter-combat combat system. but then the other way around. AC greatly improved the combat system where FF entirely failed there and made it much worse then befor.

maybe the game would be good if the stories were still as good as befor their story writer died. that was the 1st hit for the serie.

i havnt played any game after 12

i played up to 13. i thought that they made 1 mistake and that it would be fixed. instead however, it wasn't a mistake. it is their new style.

i have to say that i greatly enjoyed "blue dragon" at 1st you might think it's kiddy game. and it sort of is. but it's so much more fun the FF is.
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

While I haven't played a single Final Fantasy Game (besides the intro to FF10), I'm really looking forward to Final Fantasy V. 13.

It's probably just the gameplay and themes getting to me, since people have compared it to a more mature version of Kingdom Hearts.

And that game was by childhood

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

It's probably just the gameplay and themes getting to me, since people have compared it to a more mature version of Kingdom Hearts.

ugh... one of my favourite games (if not my favourite) is kingdom hearts... but its not final fantasy. and id rather play a ff game with ff controls...
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

ugh... one of my favourite games (if not my favourite) is kingdom hearts... but its not final fantasy. and id rather play a ff game with ff controls...

Makes sense. I just enjoyed the thought of the gameplay being a more fluid and fast paced RT Game.

I was never too into Turn-Based Games, I always just thought of it as people taking turns to punch each other in the face as stylishly as possible lol.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I was never too into Turn-Based Games, I always just thought of it as people taking turns to punch each other in the face as stylishly as possible lol.

some people just want to relax. follow a good story and be tactical in the fights.
the RT gameplay doesn't relax me. neither can i use the full benefits of my tactics because time is following me. and i can't go get a snack in the middle of a battle anymore. or just get a break because something more important has to be done. i have to wait till all the action and cut scene's and story is over befor i can do that now. this can take really long sometimes.

I always just thought of it as people taking turns to punch each other in the face as stylishly as possible lol.

it just gives you the time to decide what your going to do.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

i also hated the combat. and btw. if you didnt use gambits did you actually manually controled ALL 3 members? that probably made the game even slower

Don't get me wrong, gambits were on, but only the simple stuff like attack and heal. I just made the important decisions.

Anyway, enough with this arguing of why this FF sucked and that one didn't. Does anyone have an awesome memory that just stands out in their mind? For me, it happened in 12 against Gilgamesh (the final encounter with him). I had one man left standing, Balthier, and I was desperately trying to cast a phoenix down. Unfortunately, Gil attacked me first and it was over...But wait! He missed, he freaking missed for the first freaking time in this battle! I revived Ashe, revived Basch and managed to scrape out a win. Ah, and what a thrill it was.
kevinhex
kevinhex
17 posts
Nomad

I prefer kingdom hearts, because of the story, I think it's cooler

Showing 1-15 of 25