ForumsWEPRIs it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

364 121310
shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

Notes:
Lets try not point out certain religions. I am saying creationalists for a reason.

• 364 Replies
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I say yes. It is just another part of world history. And I see no problem with us learning about it... :P

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I believe that my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and Our Father, God, created Heaven and Earth, and all people

While I would prefer that you recognize there is overwhelming evidence about evolution and that there is no need to involve any supernatural powers, I would rather you believe God drives evolution than completely deny it.

America was founded i the believing in God, though of course other religions are excepted.

No it wasn't. The United States of America was founded on the idea that people have the right to self governance and that government serves the people, instead of controlling every facet of their lives.

Nothing to do with God, gods, or any sort of fairies.

Public schools are funded by the government, tax dollars, and the government was founded under God.

No it wasn't. Also, people can go to a religious establishment if they wish to learn about x god.

Public schools are funded by the government to teach students basic information they will need to know for future contributions to society and higher learning. Evolution is a cornerstone concept in modern biology and has been irrefutably proven to occur. It it literally accepted by over 99.99% of the professional scientific community as fact and proven Scientific Theory.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Nothing to do with God, gods, or any sort of fairies.

The only invocation of "because God" used by the founding fathers was to say "...that [all men] are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights...". Of course, this was reasoning in response to a kingdom whose leaders were considered to be part of a pure lineage appointed by God. More of a trumping tactic than an actual claim.

and all the "in God we trust" stuff.

You mean the McCarthy Era additions?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

America was founded i the believing in God, though of course other religions are excepted.

America was by primarily deists who didn't want an established religion running things. Or as one of them put it "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

I don't think public schools should teach this... "evolution" or whatever. Public schools are funded by the government, tax dollars, and the government was founded under God.

Even if it was (which it wasn't) you're saying that a God founded government should deny teaching facts? I think that speaks values of this religion that it must deny and suppress facts for itself.

because you are putting shame to America

Yes it's absolutely shameful to teach facts and science in America. I mean what? We actually want our children to have a good education? What kind of noise is that!

pretty much dissing the constitution

Which makes no mention of God.
The Constitution of the United States: A Transcription

and all the "in God we trust" stuff.

Which wasn't added until the 1950's.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

No it wasn't.

America was, however, founded on the idea of keeping Church and State seperate
TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

Long answer to this whole topic; I believe that my lord and savior, Jesus Christ and our father, God, created Heaven, Earth, and all people. America was founded in the believing of God, though of course other religions are accepted. I don't think public schools should teach this,"evolution" thing. Public schools are funded by the government using tax dollars, and the government was founded under God.

well well well, it seems there are some silly people on this topic. This has already been replied to many times, but I don't think I can help myself. It's just silly. First off, the government was founded in the believing of god? One word, no. The government was founded to govern the country and keep it from turning to total anarchy, not because they believed in god. If they had wanted to do that, they would of founded a church instead. Second, this is your belief, not everyone elses. Just because a fair bit of the population believe that there is a god doesn't mean we should deny the many others getting taught a fact. If we were to follow this line of thinking, then we might as well scrap science all together. If you believe in god, then I will respect that, honestly, but the idea of forcing ones belief on another is just plain wrong.
No, don't teach this "evolution" public schools, because you are putting shame to America and they are pretty much dissing the constitution and all the "in God we trust" stuff.

Good god, this line I have to say is definitely the worst. Now, I think you need to change your idea of shameful. Getting a five trillion dollar debt is shameful. Teaching people something with evidence to back it up? Not so much.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

shhh everyone calm down and do not feed the Troll.

However, for anyone else who decided to read this thread I present social commentary. Please be advised (for younger users) some language is offensive.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Side note: the video discusses climate change, however the point is that those who are not scientists do not get a say in what should be taught in science class. Why? Because belief is not fact.

shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

I just got assigned a paper in english. I have to write it about something debatable and this gave me some good ideas

SectoidMedic
SectoidMedic
165 posts
Peasant

this topic will turn into a flamewar at the drop of a hat.

ArchlordPie
ArchlordPie
150 posts
Jester

Wow. 20 pages and only one mention of either micro- or macro-evolution. I am very disappointed. Let me put this in simple terms.

Micro-evolution: The concept of genetic mutations resulting in variances within individual species. This has been observed and is scientifically proven to happen.

Macro-evolution: The concept of species changing into other species via genetic mutations. This has not been observed but is still touted as "fact" by far too many people, even though it's the best explanation science has for where all the different species on earth came from.

To answer the titular question, yes, it is OK, because it (at least the micro part) is proven scientific fact. I personally wish they did a better job of differentiating between micro and macro so as to be less confusing/misleading, but... meh.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I just got assigned a paper in english. I have to write it about something debatable and this gave me some good ideas

Keep in mind the debate is not among the scientific community, but with the general public and the religious in particular.

Macro-evolution: The concept of species changing into other species via genetic mutations. This has not been observed but is still touted as "fact" by far too many people, even though it's the best explanation science has for where all the different species on earth came from.

http://www.epicgifs.net/images/show/6SD3VJN7

29+ Cases for Macroevolution
Observed Instances of Speciation
Evolution and Information: The Nylon Bug
Ring Species: Unusual Demonstrations of Speciation

I personally wish they did a better job of differentiating between micro and macro so as to be less confusing/misleading, but... meh.

It's really not that important as it's all the same process.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

this topic will turn into a flamewar at the drop of a hat.

...you do realize that this thread is on its 20th page, right?

That hat is taking its sweet time falling
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

A lesson from school actually shows macro-evolution at work. A good case is sickle-cell anemia in people of African descent, and how carriers for the gene are resistant to malaria. This is evidence enough for macro-evolution, and I don't even need to go into the peppered moth observation.

-Blade
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

A lesson from school actually shows macro-evolution at work. A good case is sickle-cell anemia in people of African descent, and how carriers for the gene are resistant to malaria. This is evidence enough for macro-evolution, and I don't even need to go into the peppered moth observation.

While these are good examples of evolution they wouldn't be examples of macroevolution. as these aren't a splitting of species.
Showing 181-195 of 364