ForumsWEPRIs it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

364 121103
shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

Notes:
Lets try not point out certain religions. I am saying creationalists for a reason.

• 364 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Oh yay, another one of these.

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution.

How many of those parents are scientists? Arguing that schools shouldn't teach evolution (a very important and well backed theory) is basically teaching your kids that you can pick and choose what is true and not. All current evidence points to evolution being fact.

Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution.

Why does everyone call them Creationalists...the word is Creationist, there's no L. What they believe is, quite frankly, irrelevant. School is for learning, and evolution is a part of science.

It goes against their beliefs.

That's nice.

If someone doesn't believe in gravity should we not teach them about it?

They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs.

That's nice. However, unless they can provide evidence that evolution is wrong or evidence for their beliefs, they will not be listened to.

Do you think that it should be taught?

Of course it should. Not only does evolution simply cover what previous organisms have existed before, it is used in day to day applications. Evolutionary theory is applied to many, many aspects of life. Not teaching evolution would be as crippling in many fields as not knowing how to do multiplication.

Le
ts try not point out certain religions. I am saying creationalists for a reason.

1) Again, Creationist. Not Creationalist. No L.
2) "Creationist" almost exclusively refers to Christianity. While the technical word could be applied to anyone who thinks the word is created, when someone mentions Creationists, they almost always are referring to Christians.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Pretty much repeating what Kasic said, but..

Yes, it should be taught. Evolution is a factual part of biology and thus has it's due place in school, not teaching it would be contrary to the principles of education. Beliefs like creationists can be discussed (not taught, discussed) in religion courses, among other religions; people should be aware of the issue of course.

shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

wow great response. I am a heavy supporter in evolution and an atheist. I started learning about it a couple of years ago in Biology and continue to learn about it in my free time. I was kinda just wondering what people had to say about it.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

There are some who say Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution as an equal-side choice; however, this cannot be. Just as I've said in the Climate Change thread, people have this terrible psyche of taking two sides of an issue and balancing them equally, despite one being a recorded fact and another representing a faith.

But we are not slaming religion and telling everyone that they can't have it in schools. If they want religion in schools, make a separate elective course for it! Something in the curriculum called THEOLOGY. Creationism is not allowed in Biology class, but that's okay, because Biology is not allowed in Theology class, same as Theater not allowed in Automechanics. Understand the simile? Subjects irrelevant in courses cannot *be* in said courses.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Creationism is not allowed in Biology class, but that's okay, because Biology is not allowed in Theology class, same as Theater not allowed in Automechanics. Understand the simile? Subjects irrelevant in courses cannot *be* in said courses.

But math is allowed in every class. Y u treat math all special?

Anyways, no one should have any issues with theology being taught as theology. Problem is that "Creationists" are often more...radical.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

But math is allowed in every class. Y u treat math all special?

Some classes require mathematics in their application..but that doesn't mean they are teaching 'em. But that is besides this topics point..

Anyways, no one should have any issues with theology being taught as theology. Problem is that "Creationists" are often more...radical.

I'm all for Theology being apart of the curriculum...but you just know that there will always be some group that will have issues with it. One group will say that they believe they should be taught more or another should be taught less..and that it is disrespectful to them blah blah blah.
And then...somehow they find out the teacher's religious preference...oh here go hell come

Also..would they teach Nihilism?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Also..would they teach Nihilism?

Under philosophy, why not? Just that most people will just get hung up on Sartre and Nietzsche and not move on.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Nihilism is included in Philosophy class, which is usually not in federal schools, but private schools, like universities.

Some classes require mathematics in their application..but that doesn't mean they are teaching 'em. But that is besides this topics point..

And every class ever is a Physics application, even if they don't know it!
_Sonia_23
_Sonia_23
3 posts
Nomad

I believe evolution should be taught in public schools. It's a theory like many others that is backed up with good points and should be presented to students so they may independently form their opinions without their parents influencing them.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

An evolution thread, how did I almost overlook this?

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

What creationists believe should matter about as much as someone believing the stork delivers babies as apposed to the process of conception and birth. Evolution is one of the backbones of modern biology, as such I think we would be doing a grave disservice not to teach it in a science class. Of course just like how we wouldn't include the stork belief in a class teaching about reproduction we shouldn't include creationism in a biology class. If we were to include it, it should be done so as an example of how not to do science.

I started learning about it a couple of years ago in Biology and continue to learn about it in my free time.

If you're interested in evolution you might want to check out my profile.

The problem is creationists want to teach theology as biology and science, when it's not.
I would be hesitant to even call creationism a hypothesis let alone a theory.

Nihilism is included in Philosophy class, which is usually not in federal schools, but private schools, like universities.

A philosophy class might not be bad thing to have as an elective at higher grade levels.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

A philosophy class might not be bad thing to have as an elective at higher grade levels.

I doubt so. University yes, but philosophy, to treat it with respect, needs to be taught well, thoroughly, almost like a main subject.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

How you can teach creatonism?
Ok class, now we learn on anothe creation. Some peopels belives that God made everything, and not evolution. End of class kids".

Unless you start just praise god and tell stories on it {all of these Paganic stories of "God saw that the flower was sad so he made him a bee" and so on}.

And btw Kasix, Orthodox jewish also dont belvie in evolution and are not teaching it in Religios schools here in Israel {They actualy dont teach much of everything and just creating more and more hobbos who live from the state money}. its one of the fist argue who come up when you talk on what school is better, a religius one or a normal one.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Sure, we could teach Creationism and breed ignorance. Or we could just pay attention to Darwin and his colleagues, smart men and women who did things to benefit science, not to illude thousands and incite terrible wars.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

How you can teach creatonism?
Ok class, now we learn on anothe creation. Some peopels belives that God made everything, and not evolution. End of class kids".

you can take the 5 biggest religions of present day and some dead religions, to compare them. what links do they have. what believes are returning throughout all these religions. what religions have been revolutionair and what was a clump of different believes putted together.
there is allot to learn and discuss beside what 1 religion says.

see it as a philosophy class only about religions.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Yes it's okay to teach evolution and Creationism should be discussed in a theology class (and pretty quickly forgotten) also teaching about different religions (the big ones, not the sub-sub-sub religions with their weirdos at the helm) with their different views on their gods. I almost took a theology class BTW, because I was interested in mythology back then and I'm still are.

Showing 1-15 of 364