ForumsNews and FeedbackArmor Games Mascot

103 29978
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Since John has retired from Armor Games, and along with John went the iconic blue elephant that is beloved by all AG users. While this elephant was regarded as a de facto mascot, it suddenly occurred to me, why doesn't AG have an official mascot? While the choices are limited, (unless a new character is created), I was thinking maybe Sushi Cat?

What are your opinions, views, thoughts, recommendations, ideas, or suggestions? (Admins and mods, you're included (not that you need to be told you're included, since you would include yourself anyway, but I thought it would be nice for you to know you're welcome.))

• 103 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

IMO i don't think AG needs a new mascot.

AG has never had a mascot.

the clashing swords at the beginning of each AG original game is just a classic origional. Such as Leo said earlier in the thread, people think of the fighting swords, not a blue elephant

The mascot doesn't have to go into all the flash games. He could be used mostly as just a promotional gimmick.

A new mascot can be a jar of pickles for all the public care, so long as the website is up and flash games are still released, seeing a sushi cat or something along those lines in the top corner of the screen with be a 2seconds look,

Who said anything about him being in the top corner of the screen? I was thinking more of a community mascot. Something exclusively for the users of AG. How and what he would do still requires thought.

All in all, i feel a mascot would make minimal difference to the popularity of the community, due to the high popularity already!!!

High popularity in the community already? HOHO!! That's awesome. The forums have been suffering from severe lack of activity for the last two years. Only recently has activity gone up, but it's still far from being mega popular.
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

A stick man or dinosaur is fairly generic and could be applied to many things.

Well,we can't use a stickman because it's the mascot of Bored.com(I think).Sushi Cat is highly recognizable,I agree. Sushi Cat could do the job.
chuncster
chuncster
12 posts
Nomad

Who said anything about him being in the top corner of the screen? I was thinking more of a community mascot. Something exclusively for the users of AG. How and what he would do still requires thought.

A website that hosts flash games can't do much to promote themselves, a mascot would be pretty useless, just stick the crossed swords on advertisement and there we are, a well-known icon associated with AG.

The forums have been suffering from severe lack of activity for the last two years

So you're suggesting the mascot for the forum only? What about the main website, where will it go? The most predictable place would be the corner, such as Newgrounds. There isn't really anywhere else for it to be put. I'm speaking for a common internet surfer when i say i couldn't give a rats behind about a mascot, before i started going on the community properly AG was just a games website, anything else was just random stuff i didn't care about. And once you decide to join the website, a mascot such as a cat or an elephant etc won't make a single difference towards my activity.

Chunc.
chuncster
chuncster
12 posts
Nomad

Sorry for double post, until the site is upgraded i don't have a choice cos i can't edit.

Added to my post, sushi cat is an original picture around the internet already, the impression of AG if we steal an icon from somewhere else would not be high in our favor.
If it is decided that a mascot is to become the image of AG, at least make it an original picture, something a user makes, like an animal (or whatever) on the laptop or pc. I dunno something that's not already all over the internet.

Also, just an added Q: This blue elephant, when the creator retired, did he disallow the image from being used on the website again or something?

Chunc.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Also, just an added Q: This blue elephant, when the creator retired, did he disallow the image from being used on the website again or something?

No, it's still owned by AG.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I have several things to say about mascot possibilities.

1) The mascot should be something developed in-house.

2) It should be from one of the major game developers (ex. joeybetz, ConArtists, or Krin)

3) it should be from one of their more famous franchises (the aforementioned sushi cat, (for betz) last stand (con), or sonny (krin))

~~~Darth Caedus

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Making something cool about this right now.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Something I spent very little time on. Took about 5 minutes. :P

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg606/Salvidian/AGMASCOTCONTEST_zpsd923abf0.png

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Wow that looks awesome and I think it would be a great thing to do for the community to get together and decide on something as a whole.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

sushi cat is an original picture around the internet already, the impression of AG if we steal an icon from somewhere else would not be high in our favor.

Did you not notice that JoeyBetz, the creator, designer, and complete owner of the whole idea of Sushi Cat works for Armor Games? Everything that is Sushi Cat related came from him and AG, so, it would not be stealing an internet icon, but merely using an already fairly obvious icon. Obviously, you don't know what you're talking about.

a mascot would be pretty useless, just stick the crossed swords on advertisement and there we are, a well-known icon associated with AG.

Who knows what the mascot could be used for. That would be up to the Admins, if they decide to use my idea.

If it is decided that a mascot is to become the image of AG

No one said the mascot is to become the image of AG.

The elephant was never an official mascot (as I said in the OP, it was a de-facto mascot.)

it should be from one of their more famous franchises (the aforementioned sushi cat, (for betz) last stand (con), or sonny (krin))

Hmm... Interesting idea. I don't like the idea of the Last Stand being used though... If the community were to vote on what would be the mascot, and the last stand were in there as an option, it would be no contest (you all saw how LS stomped it's competition in the game of the year (aside from the final round.)

[quote]Something I spent very little time on. Took about 5 minutes. :P

Pretty cool... I'll ask ferret to take a look at the thread, and see what he has to say about it... Maybe the admins will take the idea. =D
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Maybe the admins will take the idea. =D

They probably won't but it's worth a shot I guess. But how will everyone know "it's" the armorgames mascot?
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

You could post a very big sign on the front page saying ''AG MASCOT CONTEST'' for one..

xD

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

And how will everyone know it's the mascot about 2 months after the contest?

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

And how will everyone know it's the mascot about 2 months after the contest?

They would be able to read about it in the "News Section"... something that has been disgarded way to much by the ArmorGames community if you ask me...

As for the initial idea and the follow up, untill no so far... me-like! *two thumbs up*

And that's an awful long 5 minutes there Salvidian... nevertheless, nice job! =P
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

They would be able to read about it in the "News Section"...

I'm asking way too many smart questions today.

And what about the people who don't go on the community?

By the way I'm not hating the mascot idea but this needs to be throughly thought out before it actually happens.
Showing 16-30 of 103