ForumsNews and FeedbackArmor Games Mascot

103 29916
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Since John has retired from Armor Games, and along with John went the iconic blue elephant that is beloved by all AG users. While this elephant was regarded as a de facto mascot, it suddenly occurred to me, why doesn't AG have an official mascot? While the choices are limited, (unless a new character is created), I was thinking maybe Sushi Cat?

What are your opinions, views, thoughts, recommendations, ideas, or suggestions? (Admins and mods, you're included (not that you need to be told you're included, since you would include yourself anyway, but I thought it would be nice for you to know you're welcome.))

• 103 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

In summary, I'm the ag mascot. Bow before the furious simian!!

Can't we have a serious discussion about this? Besides that, a mascot needs a better armatar then some mad monkey.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Maybe this talk will give one of the game maker admins ideas on a new character and if they make enough good games for this character, it could be our mascot.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Can't we have a serious discussion about this?

Monkeys, rabbits, wolves, ferrets, etc. can be pets in the medieval based games. Maybe some of them being able to talk and having other special abilities.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Maybe stating the question that was already asked, but... why an animal? Why not a comic knight character?! The website IS, after all, medeival themed... =)

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

The website IS, after all, medeival themed... =)

So, what, like armoured animals instead?
Can do.
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/IMG0049_zps1603f9bf.jpg

Anyway do carry on with the discussion.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Not wearing something to guard the back of the neck is irresponsible.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Ferrets like to live their lives irresponsible. It's ferrets, after all.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Welp, there can be no complaints that ferrets aren't related to Armor Games now... My guess is that halberds would be their weapons of choice. Look how happy he is!

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

irresponsibly

English is hard.

Anyway, just for the sake of it:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/IMG0063_zps5e0bdfa4.jpg

The wonders of armoured animals.
My guess is that halberds would be their weapons of choice. Look how happy he is!

The thought of ferrets with any kind of weapon scares me a little.
Even if they are happy.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Or their distant cousins the Meerkat, whose group name is mob, gang, or clan, and enjoy gang-to-gang combat raids to gain control of territory.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It's ferrets, after all.

They're. English is still hard. ;D

But yeah. Armored ferrets. Yes.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

An armoured animal. I'm all for it.
But I feel like they would would better as mascots if they were more anthropomorphic and simplistic in style.

It's ferrets, after all.

It's sounds correct to me. Using the word It conveys a broader sense of the topic at hand (which is ferrets) instead of referring directly to the animal.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

It (is) implies only one subject, while they (are) implies many. Since the direct object (ferrets) is plural, the latter would be correct.

I can't decipher this it rule. Basically the rule would be that it cannot be used as an impersonal pronoun (or be the subject of a sentence) without a prior use of a different noun for the subject and that noun must occur within the same sentence. With the exception when it refers to time, weather, or distance.

I keep seeing this, but no explanation as to why it must refer to time, weather or distance. This leads me to believe it has to refer to time, weather, or distance, when used impersonally, but I am having trouble finding a source to clarify and verify this.

Anyway, if it can be used impersonally (and be the subject of a sentence when not referring to time, weather,or distance) then you are half right. They're is totally correct in the sentence. But if it is referring to the irresponsibility of the ferrets the sentence is be correct both ways.

If, it can only refer to time, distance, or weather, when used impersonally, then you are completely right. But as a slang sentence, It's ferrets after all would still be a commonly heard type of sentence and would be something used by native speakers to English.

The word and term 'it' can be used for either a subject or an object in a sentence and can describe any physical or psychological subject and / or object.

"Everyone got its legs kicked or its feet trodden on in the scramble to get out of the carriage."

Also, this from the book Correct Writing Book; Sixth Edition (1995):

Collective Nouns:
Collective nouns are singular in form but plural in meaning. These nouns may take either a singular or plural verb: if you are thinking of the group as a unit, use a singular verb. If you are thinking of the individual members of the group use a plural verb.

Examples:
The crew is striking for higher pay. [The crew is acting as a unit.]

The crew are writing reports of the wreck. [The members of the crew are acting as individuals.]
(p. 147)

Collective Nouns as Antecedents:
With collective nouns use either a singular or plural pronoun according to the meaning of the sentence.

Examples:
The team elected Jan as its captain. [The team is acting as a unit and therefore requires the singular possessive pronoun its.]

The team quickly took their positions on the field. [Here each member of the team is acting individually.]
(p. 158)

[I wanted to show collective pronouns, because they cause some very odd sounding, yet correct English sentences. Usually such sentences are rephrased like the the crew are example could just have read, "The crew members are writing reports of the wreck." Which sounds less awkward.]

Impersonal Use of the Personal Pronoun:
Remember that pronouns are frequently used impersonally and when so used do not have antecedents. Notice the correct impersonal use of it in the statements about weather, time, and distance:

It looks like rain. [Reference to weather.]

It is now twelve o'clock. [Reference to time.]

How far is it to the nearest town? [Reference to distance.]
(p. 167)

So,
Ferrets like to live their lives irresponsibly. It's ferrets, after all.

I supposes ferrets couldn't be a collective noun. I don't think someone would ever say,"The ferrets is making a home." And, even though they are acting as a unit, the sentence is incorrect. The word are would have to be used.

But,

Ferrets like to live their lives irresponsibly. It's ferrets, after all.

could be read as:

Ferrets like to live their lives irresponsibly. It's their type of lifestyle, after all.

Irresponsibility is the antecedent and noun that it is referring to. Irresponsibility is not directly in the first sentence, but can be derived from it. Irresponsibility is a singular noun. Therefore, "It's there type of lifestyle, after all." is correct and so are the sentences Ferrets like to live their lives irresponsibly. It's ferrets, after all.

The sentence could read:
Ferrets like to live their lives irresponsibly. Irresponsibility is their type of lifestyle, after all.
Which avoids ambiguity from It's.

Search something like it's cars on Google. Plenty of results and the same singular/plural arrangement (singular it with plural cars). (You can even search "it's cars, after all".)

So the second sentence is either correct or slang. But even as slang it's a common occurrence form native speakers.

I post this, because I rarely speak a second language out of fear of being laughed at how miserable I am at it. So, when I see a "correction" to a sentence without the qualifier that the sentence could still be correct (or at least commonly used, although grammatically incorrect) I get really irked. It's a great way to deter people from using a second language.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Having read all that I still don't know what the appropriate construction would be, but I know that anecdotally, a lot of people these days would say "it's ferrets, after all".

Looks like you uncovered a different difficulty of English than you thought you were pointing out, eh, Sal?

Anyway, the real reason I was making this post was to say GET BACK ON TOPIC!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

You could have done the right thing, which was to create a separate thread in the appropriate section. To make it up to me, how about you go and do that now instead?

Showing 61-75 of 103