ForumsGamesEmulators

14 4116
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I was wondering whether or not anyone else using videogame emulators. Basically, you can get a whole game system on some sort of device. I have a Windows phone and got Purple Cherry GBC (Gameboy Color). It costed $1.27 (USD) and it is well worth the price. All the roms are free and of high quality. Some people also get them on their computers.

• 14 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

lol they make you pay for a emulator?
hahaha, you got robbed dude. xD

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Not really.... As I said, it was high quality.........................................................................................

Loptice
Loptice
242 posts
Peasant

Yeah it's high quality !!! Wake up you can get any emulator for free with all features for mobile. There are paid version but let me give you advice - They are NOT better. Free emulators can play games just like the paid ones. In fact I'm not even sure if making someone pay for emulator is legal.

Phosphorite
Phosphorite
20 posts
Peasant

I don't think that making people paying for emulators is legal, cause most of the emulators are freeware or under GPL license.

So ironblade, the others are right, you got robbed dude.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Robbed of little more then a dollar. You know, I'd be more worried if I lost, say, my life savings, but maybe you're all conservatives.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I believe it was called Dolphin, the one I used...and it worked just fine for me.

Also..if you are wanting to play like GB games, GBC, GBA games...hell even some N64, NES, SNES, and a few other nintendo old nintendo games..I recommend Vizzed.com

Disclaimer: Not advertising..just letting y'all know about a good free place to play these games

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I've been using emulators for years! I have one for the NES, SNES, N64, GBA and a Playstation that I never used. I also use gamepads with them.
I still play some old games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms 1,2, and 4, Uncharted Waters New Horizon, Ogre Battle, The Knight of Lodis, Metroid, Super Metroid, Advanced Wars 1, 2, Mario Kart 64, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warrior, etc. xD

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Robbed of little more then a dollar. You know, I'd be more worried if I lost, say, my life savings, but maybe you're all conservatives.

it's a saying. -.-'

Not really.... As I said, it was high quality...

and high quality is never free? you should search longer

I'm not even sure if making someone pay for emulator is legal.

not sure if emulators are even legal. as what they are is stolen from a other company.

Not advertising..just letting y'all know about a good free place to play these games

there are some good psx, ps2, xbox, 3ds (and alikes), dreamcast, etc, etc emulators out there aswell.

i use them if i wanna play old classics that can't be found in stores anymore. l
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

not sure if emulators are even legal. as what they are is stolen from a other company.

Emulators themselves are perfectly legal, as they're just a piece of software that emulates a given piece of hardware. For instance, if you buy a digital download for a DOS game, it might come with a DOS emulator in order to play it on a more modern OS.
Downloading GAMES for an emulator however, is straight up piracy.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Downloading GAMES for an emulator however, is straight up piracy.

Only technically speaking, in the USA at least you are allowed to "make" a digital copy of most media for personal backup/use. While that wouldn't cover downloading, its hard to charge someone for pirating something they already own.
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Basically, what I was trying to say was that I don't really care that I payed for it. It was only a dollar. It's not like I would use it for anything and it was then only legit emulator on my phone. The Windows Marketplace has very little to choose from. The only commonly known games on there are Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja, and there still isn't a free version. The only good free games are by Microsoft Studios.

Royaletoser
Royaletoser
10 posts
Nomad

I don't use emulators for a couple of reasons, the most basic being that I'm terrible at getting them or the roms to work perfectly, and I like the way they look on my tv. I dont know, but it seems as if emulators especially with polygon based games or even nes games look too "clear" or "sharp" making an already old game look uglier, hrmmm... maybe they're just not for me.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I don't use emulators for a couple of reasons, the most basic being that I'm terrible at getting them or the roms to work perfectly, and I like the way they look on my tv. I dont know, but it seems as if emulators especially with polygon based games or even nes games look too "clear" or "sharp" making an already old game look uglier, hrmmm... maybe they're just not for me.

Some were cheaply copied and the color palette used it bad but some NES games are still playable even when the graphics aren't great.
For example, all the Romance of the three Kingdom, nobunaga, Genghis Khan, and similar strategy game series are playable if you love the genre.
The SNES roms are good and all the GBA roms I played looked amazing and or close to the original.
Besides Mario Kart 64, I don't like the rendering of other N64 games though.
Anyway if you like old games then an emulator is the best choice + you can use pretty much any gamepads with them, the only obstacle is the OS.
In my case I had to buy new gamepads for Window Vista and 7 because my old ones only worked on XP but they're getting hard to find now and they are cheaply made.
dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Emulators are indeed legal, but the spread of emulators for currently produced consoles is sketchy. Besides the quality of the emulator being iffy, the fact that you download an emulator of say, a DS that is still being manufactured, is getting kinda iffy, as you're blocking a sale given to the company. Same goes for currently produced games. I don't go for an emulator and games until that system and games tied to it are done being renewed and are only being spread around as used copies, creating no sale loss to the companies.

As for quality, most emulators I've used have an HD option that makes the games look much better than they used to, clearing up some of the large pixelation of creating too big of a screen. Smooths out the borders of characters and such, and makes it look semi-new.

Visual Boy Advance is what I use when I'm too lazy to search for my old Pokemon games, or feel like cheating the crap out of them :P

Showing 1-14 of 14