ForumsPopular Media90's music v.s 2000's music.

17 12751
ellielovescute666
ellielovescute666
61 posts
Nomad

I personally think that 90's music was the best. A prime example of this would be I Wish by Skee-Lo. It isn't even the era that I was born into but it is still my favourite. Nowadays, music isn't as catchy, if it is, it is probably just rubbish (You hate a song, but somehow end up singing it anyway??)- This is what music is like now e.g *Justin Bieber or *One Direction.

Now it's your turn to vote. So what era do you think is better?

• 17 Replies
SonOfVader
SonOfVader
110 posts
Blacksmith

You can't just say that all music nowadays is crap. There are plenty of fantastic artists out there if you know where to look. The music that you're referring to is the stuff that gets played on the radio, which is of shameful quality. All decades have their big artists and of course there are thousands of truly great musicians most people will never hear about.

ellielovescute666
ellielovescute666
61 posts
Nomad

You have a point, though, I didn't say that you had to agree with me. This is actually for a school project (I have to write my own song and I had to choose a good era). Have you heard of Tom Odell? He is a good example of modern music.

SonOfVader
SonOfVader
110 posts
Blacksmith

I have actually, though I havn't had a listen yet.
But generally I do prefer the 90s. It was the decade of grunge, good hip hop and the birth of electronic and rudimentary dubstep.
My personal favourite is the 60s though: Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Cream and Eric Clapton, The Beach Boys, CCR, and many more..
Then you've got people like Edith Piaf, Bob Marley, Freddy Mercury, Kurt Cobain etc. who made timeless stuff.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

I'm a 90's child, so I like 90's cartoons, and I like 90's music. Though, that's not to say 1) I don't like music from 2000 and on or 2) bands that started in the 90's got added to a hate list when 2000 rolled around. Neither are true. I love a lot of alternative rock that has been coming out lately, and I'm loving pop that's coming from practically every country except the US. The problem is, a lot of my favorite songs from 90's artists were released around '99 and 2000, so the line gets a little grey there.

Also, Blink 182 had a great sound in their mini album last October called "Dogs Eating Dogs." Shows that it's not completely the date, but the people doing it, and their experience, maturity, and growth.

Also, do you mean 2000-2009 for 2000's or 2000-2999? If so, that disbands some of my foreign pop, but not all of it, as well as some of my favorite 90's bands that are still playing. Either way, I like both times, but both also had their share of crap. You just have to be able to search through the crap and find the good stuff.

My personal favourite is the 60s though: Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Cream and Eric Clapton, The Beach Boys, CCR, and many more..
Then you've got people like Edith Piaf, Bob Marley, Freddy Mercury, Kurt Cobain etc. who made timeless stuff.

Well it's hard to beat the classics, man. That's just cheating :P
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

I thought Justin Bieber and One Direction was 2010's?

But 1990's music is cool.

Panthera_Leo
Panthera_Leo
24 posts
Bard

Some of my personal favorites would have to be David Bowie and Queen.
So I'm gonna have to say I really enjoy 70's music, but I do love most music.
Except for the stuff they try to pass as music on the radio that makes your ears bleed and your eyes tear. Justin Bieber and One Direction are only still around because of the large amount of teenage fangirls they have who only see a pretty face and could care less about the quality of the music.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Way to go for comparing an entire decade of music with another in such general fashion.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

You can't possible generalize two decades of music when you've only listen to 0.000000000001% of the music produced in each. Plus, your judgment is marred by a selection bias; you've always had a preconceived notion that the '90s were better, so you only choose to consider the good from the '90s and the bad from the '00s.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You can't possible generalize is two decades of music when you've only listen to 0.000000000001% of the music produced in each. Plus, your judgment is marred by a selection bias

^This

I was actually goin to say something of the sorts (but not as intelligent sounding) and give examples of bands I like and how they are perfect examples that not everything from '00-'09 is "rubbis"

Gojira - All their albums except L'Enfant Sauvage (made in 2012) (especially From Mars to Sirius..which some websites say is perfectly composed and what-not)

System of a Down - Everything after Self-Titled album

Meshuggah - Nothing, Catch Thirtythree, ObZen (especially this one)

I could list a lot more bands/artists and a lot more from other genres..but I just wanted to make a point..which is: Don't subjugate an entire generation of music with your feelings of a select group of artists. If you were to say the Pop genre, hip-hop genre, and Rap genre have gotten worse..then subjectively I'd have to agree. But you can't assert that objectively they are worse..because some people have different taste in music
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

90's have some really good bands like:Green Day,RHCP,Nirvana and Weezer.You didn't expect that from old grumpy Gandalf,huh?

kragnock
kragnock
34 posts
Shepherd

^^^^^^ I AGREE GANDALF!!!!!^^^^^ GREEN DAY!!!! Green Day is a perfect example of both eras, if you listen to stuff from 39(1990), Dookie(1994) and Nimrod(1997) and compare it to their newer stuff like iUNO! iDOS! and iTre'! there is a HUGE difference in sound, yet its all the same band. yet there are very many similarites in the newer songs too. back in the Dookie days, Welcome to Paradise was a HUGE smash hit, if you play Welcome to Paradise then play Nuclear Family from iUNO! the guitar is exactly the same but in a different frett. anyways my point is that its hard to classify the 90's and 2000+ eras, theres huge differences with some groups and huge similarities with other groups and their own music, (I.E. if they formed in late 80's throughout the 90's and are still together today)

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I definitely like the 90's feel of music much more than today's club/dance style.

tkmax2499
tkmax2499
12 posts
Nomad

I personally am a rock music fan, but for me to pick my favourite era is hard because I like music from both. Overall I'd say 2000's music, but I do agree that Bieber and 1 direction are annoying. I pick 2000's because of Muse, Linkin Park, Snow Patrol and Foo Fighters. But then different genres have changed and most eras have got something for everyone.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Not going to join the bandwagon about how this thread sucks.

Anyway, some 90's bands (or at least bands that thrived/started in the 90's) that I like:
-Tool
-Foo Fighters
-Nirvana
-Soundgarden
-Pearl Jam
-Green Day
-Blink 182
-The Offspring
-Red Hot Chili Peppers (started in the 80's, but got really big in the 90's)
-Metallica (more or less)
-U2
-Korn
-Creed
-Smashing Pumpkins
-Radiohead
-Alice In Chains
-Nine Inch Nails
-Rage Against The Machine
-Guns N Roses (more or less)
-Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band
-Pantera
-Stone Temple Pilots
-My Bloody Valentine
-Lenny Cravitz
-R.E.M.

Yes, I'm one of those "mainstream" lovers. Goa head and label me. If i created a list for my favorite 2000 bands, I think it'd only be about half as long, if that. The 90's has to be my favorite decade as far as music goes, with the 70's coming in at a close second. The 60's probably come in at nearly a tie with the 70's, the 00's a good fourth, and let's just forget about the 90's.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

and let's just forget about the 90's.

Meant to say 80's, if that wasn't obvious.
Showing 1-15 of 17