ForumsWEPRThe presidential circus

6 4669
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

So let me get this straight it's Bush's fault I'm a rascist and I'm intolerant oh yah and Obama is the messiah, savior, and prodigal son.Look I lean a little right myself but in truth I dont support either side of the political spectrum becuase they both create false interpritations of the constitution and wipe thier butt with freedom diffrence is the way they do it they both blame the other party thier both hippocrites, liers, and scumbags and their is no smart way to vote.I think it's all to confusing what do you think

• 6 Replies
Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

lol, you are confused if you still trying to decide how to vote!

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

All US politicians (possibly all everywhere, not familiar with foreign affairs as much) are in some way trying to pull a fast one, cover the truth, twist someone's words, or just take the easy way to the top. You're gonna have a hard time if you watch the faults too much, because if everyone did that, no voting would occur, and the election system would collapse. It stinks that it's a "lesser of two evils" kind of deal when voting for presidents, and doubly offensive that it's just two, but that's how it is. It's the same for voting for any political office: they put on their masks and reveal their lies, or impossible to keep heartfelt promises, and ruin the trust we gave them.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

The problem is, it's not just two! There are at least 5 other political parties out there gaining votes, but they only win .6% of the vote COLLECTIVELY. The third, Libertarian, at least is farther in the votes with (what was it) 4% of total votes. It would be fine if the Libertarian candidate had views you didn't agree with, but there are those who truly believe there are only two political parties to choose from. I think that's where we need to start to reform our voting system. That and the electoral college.

Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

I agree that the electoral college has problems. I think that Gerrymandering present a legitimate threat to democracy.
I genuinely don't know how other countries maintain 3+ relevant political parties. Maybe the American system is just too shamelessly cynical, but here, whenever a 3rd party gains any traction, its views are simply co-opted by one of the 2 major parties. Thereby reducing the relevancy of the 3rd party. How does this not happen in other countries? Maybe its a result of the structure of the parliaments and how prime ministers are appointed, but i dunno.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

The problem is, it's not just two! There are at least 5 other political parties out there gaining votes, but they only win .6% of the vote COLLECTIVELY. The third, Libertarian, at least is farther in the votes with (what was it) 4% of total votes. It would be fine if the Libertarian candidate had views you didn't agree with, but there are those who truly believe there are only two political parties to choose from. I think that's where we need to start to reform our voting system. That and the electoral college.
Sorry for not mentioning third partys I left them out because i dont know much about them but yes I agree third partys have a lot to offer but the way the system is run they may as well be counted out in the highest any third party ever got was 10%
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Our modern political system is derived from Machiavellianism. It's a very broad and complex topic, so that link won't be enough alone if you want a good understanding of it.

By the way, some colleges offer entire classes on solely Machiavelli.

Showing 1-6 of 6