ForumsWEPRBest form of Government

141 49400
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

What is your opinion on the best form of government?
Most of us live in a democratic society, but there are many who are of the mind of Monarchy, Communism, or otherwise..
What do you think?

• 141 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Stupid people making poor decisions, minorities can get crushed, uncentralized so it's difficult to enforce.

Well, some people prefer that freedom is not compromised, even if it means that everyone eligible can vote. No system is a success. We can only hope that people become more educated, and think more critically.

Minorities get crushed in all forms of government. But at least democracy makes it clear who the minorities are, and gives them fair, ample ground to voice opinions, and even sway the crowd.

Democracy doesn't mean the system is decentralised, unless we follow a style of democracy where referendums play a larger role.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Monarchy and Imperialism are the easiest to control, but higher level corruption are almost guaranteed, and the little guys get poo'ed on.

It's not easier to control.....one guy has to monitor all the angles, and make sure of all the percentages so to speak. And in this age, where everything is going global, you seem to need a brain with the power of a supercomputer to cope.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

in the middle ages, kings and queens also had advisers and such.
the head of a monarchy doesn't have to keep track of everything.
some kings kept track of nothing except their dinner plate. =P

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

in the middle ages, kings and queens also had advisers and such.
the head of a monarchy doesn't have to keep track of everything.
some kings kept track of nothing except their dinner plate. =P

Not very efficient and more than useless in that case....
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I don't remember if I have ever posted on here before, so this might get interesting.

The major flaws with democracy are:
1.majority opinion always wins
2.no focus on the minority rights that were proposed in the constitution.
3. If the majority is foolish, or idiotic, then the nation goes to S***.

Because of this, I'm glad that the U.S isn't a democracy, but instead a representative republic, because a member if the minority like me can still change things.

-Blade

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Because of this, I'm glad that the U.S isn't a democracy, but instead a representative republic, because a member if the minority like me can still change things.

The US is a democracy.

Democracies and republics are often misconstrued and misunderstood today, and we might blame the two large parties for that. A Republic is simply a form of government where people of office are elected, with offices of power not being inherited. If you have a country where all eligible citizens (typically constrained by just an age limit), can vote and have an equal say in their lives, then that country is a democracy.There are various overlaps between democracies and republics; furthermore a democracy might not be a republic, or a republic might not be a democracy.

The Italian Renaissance cities were republics for example, but not democracies since historically only a select few nobles would convene and elect the leader. Yet, we have Constitutional monarchies today, such as the UK which are democracies.

The US is both a constitutional republic ( A country where the top brass govern according to existing constitutional law that limits their power, which does include laws protecting minorities). and representative democracy ( A system where an elected group of people govern, versus direct democracy).

So in some senses, you are correct, but to miss out on the details is to do injustice to the system. For example, the minority is protected, but the terminology of a ''member of the minority'' here is mostly one to deal with race, religion, or culture, as protected by the Constitution. [Also, caveat here is that democracies don't always mean that the minorities lose out, they too can have their own set of rules to abide by]. The system however, doesn't allow minorities like extremist fringe parties to come into power, or groups with less support to easily ascend to the top unless such minorities have amassed enough support, whereupon it would be feckless to label it a minority. When it comes down to the crunch, the minority doesn't win most of the time, as demonstrated by the Electoral College or the popular vote when it comes to elections.
Showing 136-141 of 141