ForumsWEPRafterlife

57 21918
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

im an atheist and my grandfather died recently. now i am soo scared i will never see or hear him again help

• 57 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Ah...another one of these

I'll be compassionate and try to help you out with your worry...warning though, others will probably not be as such

Simply..if you'd like something to ease your mind..whatever afterlife there may be (if there is one)..there does not necessarily have to be a god for their to be one (look at that..appealing to be your atheistic viewpoints and your troubling worries)

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

now i am soo scared i will never see or hear him again help

Would it not be scarier if an apparition of him transcended and spoke to you?

Just remember the moments you shared, things he said/did/enjoyed. Write 'em down in great detail if you want to, so that some day you come across what you wrote and can remember again. Other than occasionally reminiscing, move on. I really doubt he would've wanted you to dwell on it.
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

thank you

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

im an atheist and my grandfather died recently. now i am soo scared i will never see or hear him again help

In my opinion, you'll see him when you die, regardless of your afterlife belief (or lack thereof)
That doesn't mean kill yourself, the world is for the living. Death is the end of life, but not the end of everything.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Just throwing this out there, but, there are atheistic beliefs that include an afterlife. Atheism refers only to the belief in a supernatural entity.

You won't see your grandfather again, or speak to him. This doesn't mean that you will forget him, though. It may be sad that he's gone but death is a natural part of life. Just remember him fondly.Eventually you'll come to accept that he's gone and life will seem normal again.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

death happens. everyone loses a close one sometimes. i guess this is the 1st time you experience this. but we can all say that life will go on and after some time whitout you noticing. life keeps going and the grief you have now will make room for joy whit others. just remember that your not the only 1 feeling this. everyone gets the feeling when someone close to them dies.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

People come and go, that's the way it is, now we can't die with the dead, can we?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

An afterlife can only seem comforting. It doesn't help make the pain go away though and it can even harm the process of grieving in that you might keep holding on just waiting for that time you think you will be with them again instead of letting go and moving on. Of course letting go and moving on doesn't mean forgetting. It's those memories and experiences you had that in some sense allows that person to continue on.
Each moment you had with them, each conversation, each time you thought of them you were building a model of them in your head. That model continues to exist, even if the person it's was based on is gone. When the pain of their loss starts to get to you, talk to someone, go out and do something you think would have made that person proud of you for doing. Live your life.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

If you think about it, your grandfather had to go at some time, and when his time comes it comes, not much else to it.
I've had my all of my grandparents but one die and a couple of other relatives die including a close relative, but I never really had the sadness there.
If your going to not believe in an afterlife then you have to accept the fact that people will die and not come back around to talk with you or anything.

Really I think the worst thing for you to do is try to keep remembering everything about them since that will just lead you to realize how much you miss them and in some amount, need them for talking to or whatever.

I found that going to the funerals help since it is kind of a closure that the person you once knew is gone and all that is left is the body.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I just watched this long series of video on discussions of quantum mechanics and theology and all that jazz. I want to make a note on the two kinds of "atheists" that I've seen argue their points.

The first kind is the most disgusting human being there is. The kind that doesn't care what belief structure or any beliefs you may hold. Their entire being is to destroy and mock what you hold dear. If you don't believe exactly what they believe, then you are a moron. They are terrible people. But there aren't many of them, so that's the good news.

The second kind was the self proclaimed "atheist". But after long questions and thought out answers, its not that they don't believe in a higher power. Its really, that they don't believe in an old man sitting on a throne out in the cosmos. Or that they don't believe in calling it god, but rather call themselves Secular just to stay away from the notation of a western/eastern deity.
My point: they have a god but by any other name.

Maybe this will ease you some. Think of it this way. You cannot destroy something that is fundamental. The mind is fundamental. Sure, the body dies and decays. But there is nothing physical about the mind.

If that doesn't help, what helps me during trying times when all seems lost and meaningless. I ask myself, why its there something instead of just nothing? Its a bit comforting.

I don't know. When dealing with a true atheist its hard to comfort them. When they have nothing but the material world to hold on to. Especially now that the highest mathematics is proving that the material isn't so material after all.

What do you expect us to say? If you believe in nothing then you reap nothing.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

They are terrible people. But there aren't many of them, so that's the good news.

That's a problem of certain individuals, not of atheism. Such people come in all sorts of confessions.

You were watching a show on quantum mechanics and theology. Sounds like pseudo-science. Don't expect a rational atheist to show up there.

I don't mean to make it harder for Lanod, but there's nothing immaterial about the mind. Ever heard of the brain?
But really the only thing that means is once you die, you stop existing. Is that good or bad for the living? Depends on your own viewpoint. I for instance like to see inexistance as complete and eternal piece. You don't get buggered with any kind of afterlife that might not suit you. There's no risk that your family ends up tortured for some wimpy reason. Really, it's the best thing that could possibly happen.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

The first kind is the most disgusting human being there is. The kind that doesn't care what belief structure or any beliefs you may hold. Their entire being is to destroy and mock what you hold dear. If you don't believe exactly what they believe, then you are a moron. They are terrible people. But there aren't many of them, so that's the good news.

I don't agree that said militant atheists are the most disgusting type of human beings. They may be arrogant, annoying, in your face, and self righteous, but I haven't heard any cases of militant atheism causing millions of deaths, prosecutions, or any other such things. They're just annoying and need a good punch in the face.

The second kind was the self proclaimed "atheist". But after long questions and thought out answers, its not that they don't believe in a higher power. Its really, that they don't believe in an old man sitting on a throne out in the cosmos. Or that they don't believe in calling it god, but rather call themselves Secular just to stay away from the notation of a western/eastern deity.

If they believe in a higher power but just not the Christian/Muslim/Jewish god, they're not atheists.
I don't believe in any higher powers. I don't claim that none for sure exist, because there's no conclusive evidence saying otherwise. That doesn't mean I automatically think it's likely, or real. Quite the opposite.

But there is nothing physical about the mind.

Except the brain. Stab that a few times and people sort of stop moving, you know? Do certain things to it and people no longer remember. Or their personalities change. Or their body stops working right, or they can't think about certain things or in certain ways.

Mind showing me exactly where the mind isn't physical?

When dealing with a true atheist its hard to comfort them. When they have nothing but the material world to hold on to. Especially now that the highest mathematics is proving that the material isn't so material after all.

This is quite frankly, just ignorant. I don't believe in a higher power. That suddenly means I'm unable to cope with the concept of death? Like hell. Things die. Yes, it's sad and they're gone. But they had a life and they lived it, and, hopefully, it was a good life. What more can you ask for? In other cases, people were suffering before they died. I don't believe that people live on in some imaginary paradise after they die. I don't need to comfort myself that way.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I want to make a note on the two kinds of "atheists" that I've seen argue their points.

Atheism is far more varied than that.

That's not an atheist, that's just a theist of another belief system.

It is very much based on physical processes.

"A mind is the complex of cognitive faculties that enables consciousness, thinking, reasoning, perception, and judgementâ"a characteristic of human beings, but which also may apply to other life forms." - wiki

All cognitive functions is just the function of the brain.

I ask myself, why its there something instead of just nothing?

Why would there be nothing?

I don't know. When dealing with a true atheist its hard to comfort them. When they have nothing but the material world to hold on to. Especially now that the highest mathematics is proving that the material isn't so material after all.

Belief in an afterlife really isn't any more comforting than not believing ins such things. I'm speaking from dealing with death on both sides of the spectrum here. You're going to have that feeling of loss if you believe or not.

What do you expect us to say? If you believe in nothing then you reap nothing.

Being atheist doesn't mean believing in nothing.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I just watched this long series of video on discussions of quantum mechanics and theology and all that jazz. I want to make a note on the two kinds of "atheists" that I've seen argue their points.

is it me, or did you just go westboro baptist by insulting his views, a group of people, and then set yours up to be better, right in the middle of him seeking advice to cope with death? how insensitive are you?

I'm going to become one of those if I ever see you pull crap like this ever again. it's not that we hate your views, we just hate you for forcing them on us without our consent.

this again? the whole "atheist religion" thing? that's almost as bad as arguing for god because of the "universal constants".

ever heard of the term "brain dead"? the mind is a series of chemical reactions, nothing more.

If you believe in nothing then you reap nothing.

honestly, nothing sounds way better than thinking this life is only a test with impossible standards.

@OP- with that I'm sorry for your loss, but nothing good comes from grasping too hard at someone's memory. don't forget him, but don't mourn forever, or it will only make the pain worse.

-Blade
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

PauseBreak, I would recommend watching this video.
"What is an Atheist? - A Better Understanding of the Godless" - Chris Dees

Showing 1-15 of 57