ForumsWEPRAtheist or Agnostic?

25 12812
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

So recently I've been kinda confused about whether I'm atheist or agnostic. I don't believe that there's a god, but maybe I don't know. I think if there is a god though that he doesn't have a personality more of like the universe( or more who know what's beyond the universe if anything) is a god of sorts in a broad definition.

So my question is am I agnostic or atheist?

• 25 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

I don't believe that there's a god,

atheist

but maybe I don't know

agnost

So my question is am I agnostic or atheist?

aslong you stay whit the "maybe". your agnostic.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

You can orient yourself on this chart:

http://usureason.com/wp-content/uploads/nb2mO.jpg

From what you say, I would call you an agnostic atheist. You don't believe in god but don't claim to know it is so. If you would believe in a god though, from your last sentence, I would say deistic.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

You can orient yourself on this chart:

I would be right on the line between gnostic and agnostic atheist. Depending on which religions, there is enough contrary evidence to conclusively disprove them. Which doesn't disprove everything overall, but specific claims can be tested. Deism is really the only exception as that's just a belief that a god exists and nothing more -.-
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I agree with that, gnostic atheism only makes sense in relation to specific religions; as you need claims to base your certitude on. If we're speaking of the possibility of there being any god at all, agnostic atheism is really the most rational thing.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I think if there is a god though that he doesn't have a personality more of like the universe

Pantheism = 'god' is the universe(s)/nature
Pandeism = 'god' became the universe(s)/nature and no longer exists in a 'spirit form'
Panentheism = 'god' is both the universe(s)/nature and an external 'spirit form'
Deism = 'god' created the universe and exists solely in an external 'spirit form', not interacting with the universe(s)/nature other than creation.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Agnostic and Atheist aren't mutually exclusive to one another.

Here are a couple of videos I would recommend watching.
Atheist or Agnostic
"What is an Atheist? - A Better Understanding of the Godless" - Chris Dees

georgedean
georgedean
3 posts
Peasant

If there is a God, why doesn't he just blast all non believers with lightning!

zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

Oh thanks for the info I guess I'm agnostic atheist

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Don't get caught up in labels. That's just plumbing the depths of pedantry.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

If there is a God, why doesn't he just blast all non believers with lightning!

There's a few answers for that. Maybe they'll believe again some day. Being blasted with lightning would do nothing to demonstrate Goddidit or which one. Perhaps a creator would be impersonal and not give 2 shakes about worship/belief.
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

Why are you guys are freaking out just to find out what you guys are if there is not form of religion. i would just say you are what you are.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Why are you guys are freaking out just to find out what you guys are if there is not form of religion.

There are about as many factors/forms of non-religion as there are of religion.

i would just say you are what you are.

You identified yourself as a Mormon. Why not use the umbrella word of Christian, or the bigger umbrella of theist?
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

Well what you guys are talking about there is no major difference and when all of you guys die all of you guys just stay died. In Christianity If you are the wrong religion well then you might not go to the right place in the Afterlife.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Well what you guys are talking about there is no major difference and when all of you guys die all of you guys just stay died.

Atheist or agnostic =/= no afterlife. These things are not mutually exclusive. Some are spiritual atheists, believing there's an afterlife that doesn't require a god.

In Christianity If you are the wrong religion well then you might not go to the right place in the Afterlife.

This sounds like Pascal's Wager again. Do you not realize that there are tens of thousands of versions of Christianity? Their versions of the afterlife and how to get there differ depending on which one you go to. Then there's all the other religions of the world. If you're not honorable to Odin/Zeus/Allah, X could happen.
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

OK But probably only one Church is true and all the other churches will be wrong and that one church members will be the only one that will go tto the best heaven.

Showing 1-15 of 25