ForumsWEPRsuicide

72 26993
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

i just read a story in the paper about a boy who killed himself and it was pretty sad. just wondering if other people have encountered suicide in their lives

• 72 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i did. not in person though. 2 of my old elementary highschool classmates commited suicide. one did it last year and one this year.

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

We habe neighbors and they have a 10 year old girl, her mom suicided like 3 years ago.

-Jeff

ChronicFrost
ChronicFrost
14 posts
Nomad

my cousin killed himself

Vendablebow
Vendablebow
30 posts
Nomad

I have a cousin who killed herself. To me it is pretty selfish as it upset my aunt a lot. My point is, I do not understand how someone can get SO low that they only feel their only option is to kill themselves. Never really clicked in my head how that was even remotely possible. Trust me, Ive had a rough life myself, the thought never crossed my mind.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I have a cousin who killed herself. To me it is pretty selfish as it upset my aunt a lot. My point is, I do not understand how someone can get SO low that they only feel their only option is to kill themselves. Never really clicked in my head how that was even remotely possible. Trust me, Ive had a rough life myself, the thought never crossed my mind.

Finally someone who shares my thoughts.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So..you think that your cousin should have continued a life of torment/pain (which was most likely the case..quick note though..there are other reason people commit suicide..though I'm assuming your cousin's act was due to the most common reason) solely because the suicide upsets your Aunt? That sounds more selfish to me

Also..you don't know what went on through the head of a person that committed suicide. The thought could have been "Everyone would be better off without me. I'm more of a burden than anything else"..and if that is so..how could you call that selfish? Although the act is a tragedy, the thought behind it is far from selfish
Vendablebow
Vendablebow
30 posts
Nomad

So..you think that your cousin should have continued a life of torment/pain (which was most likely the case..quick note though..there are other reason people commit suicide..though I'm assuming your cousin's act was due to the most common reason) solely because the suicide upsets your Aunt? That sounds more selfish to me

Also..you don't know what went on through the head of a person that committed suicide. The thought could have been "Everyone would be better off without me. I'm more of a burden than anything else"..and if that is so..how could you call that selfish? Although the act is a tragedy, the thought behind it is far from selfish

It doesn't matter what went through her head, when someone says, "They would be better off without me," that is a feel sorry for yourself move. Only encourages suicide even further. No one would be better off if you killed yourself. Its the stupidest thing I have ever heard honestly. When people are depressed they do not think rationally, and tend to think selfish and irresponsible thoughts. That is my point.

Still don't get it, because I have never wanted to kill myself. There are people in life who are well worse off than most of the suicide cases that happen here in the United States. It is funny how we as a society have used suicide as a way out, when a child or adult in Africa who is starving to death, would rather starve to death, than kill themselves.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Trust me, Ive had a rough life myself, the thought never crossed my mind.

Be glad it hasn't.

It doesn't matter what went through her head, when someone says, "They would be better off without me," that is a feel sorry for yourself move. Only encourages suicide even further. No one would be better off if you killed yourself. Its the stupidest thing I have ever heard honestly. When people are depressed they do not think rationally, and tend to think selfish and irresponsible thoughts. That is my point.

Still don't get it, because I have never wanted to kill myself. There are people in life who are well worse off than most of the suicide cases that happen here in the United States. It is funny how we as a society have used suicide as a way out, when a child or adult in Africa who is starving to death, would rather starve to death, than kill themselves.

It's as you said, a mindset. However, the rest of your post clearly shows you do not understand what said mindset entails. It is not simply thinking that the world would be better off without you, it's thinking that you no longer want to continue living. Which is vastly different.

People starving to death and fighting to live want to live. People depressed to the point of suicide to not want to live. They would rather everything just stop. It's not about being weak or strong either, so don't give me that crap. If you've never felt that way, you have no right to judge what others choose.

Should they have killed themselves? Almost certainly not. Would things have gotten better eventually? Most likely. Did they hurt others around them by taking their own life? Yes. Were they weak for killing themselves? Not at all.

If you have no idea what it is like to seriously consider killing oneself, please don't argue with this. Would you have the courage to jump off a cliff, or pull the trigger to the gun, or overdose on medication? Do you know exactly how much thought they put into it beforehand? It's not something that's done on a whim.
Vendablebow
Vendablebow
30 posts
Nomad

People starving to death and fighting to live want to live. People depressed to the point of suicide to not want to live. They would rather everything just stop. It's not about being weak or strong either, so don't give me that crap. If you've never felt that way, you have no right to judge what others choose.

Should they have killed themselves? Almost certainly not. Would things have gotten better eventually? Most likely. Did they hurt others around them by taking their own life? Yes. Were they weak for killing themselves? Not at all.

If you have no idea what it is like to seriously consider killing oneself, please don't argue with this. Would you have the courage to jump off a cliff, or pull the trigger to the gun, or overdose on medication? Do you know exactly how much thought they put into it beforehand? It's not something that's done on a whim.

Obviously it is not something done a whim, but my point is why? What could be bothering you so badly you could kill yourself?

EX. Your married for 20 years, next thing you know, you find out your husband/wife has been cheating on you and you confront them about it. They leave you.

Would that be an time to kill yourself? I dont think so. If you kill yourself over someone else, thats just stupid and the science of weeding out the dumb ones begins to occur.

As for depression, well they make medicine for that, and it helps. See a doctor.

I see killing yourself as the pu**y was out, because it is. Lots of us have went through worse things that others. Others have went through worse than us, and they are still here, and they are still clicking. SO that in and of itself should show you who is weak and who is strong.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

No one would be better off if you killed yourself.

What of people who are doing horrible things to others, such as mass-shooters?
Vendablebow
Vendablebow
30 posts
Nomad

What of people who are doing horrible things to others, such as mass-shooters?

You just threw a wrench into my logic lol
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

but my point is why? What could be bothering you so badly you could kill yourself?

Depends on the person.

Would that be an time to kill yourself? I dont think so.

Here's the thing. We aren't talking about you. You don't understand the mindset and you're not even making an effort to. You just want to say people who commit suicide are stupid and weak and leave it at that.

As for depression, well they make medicine for that, and it helps. See a doctor.

Medication isn't always effective. It's also viewed as something bad in society, to be on meds. It also costs money, and requires a psychiatrist to properly diagnose your issues, which takes time. Then there's side effects from medications.

I see killing yourself as the pu**y was out, because it is.

And this is why I'm calling you shallow. You are making no effort whatsoever to understand that you do not understand.

Others have went through worse than us, and they are still here, and they are still clicking. SO that in and of itself should show you who is weak and who is strong.

Yes, but others aren't the ones who are having suicidal issues.

Depression isn't "oh I'm feeling so sowwy for myself." It's a chemical imbalance in the brain which creates physical effects on the body and thought processes. It's an illness. You're calling people weak for being sick, something they cannot control and went untreated for.

I'll say this once more. You do not understand. Once you understand that you do not understand, then we can move past this point.
Vendablebow
Vendablebow
30 posts
Nomad

^^ Past the point of what? Not understanding what? That it is ok to off yourself because (YOU CANT TAKE IT)? Im sorry it is hard for me to understand it because it is bullsh*t. Everyone has a hard life, some worse than others, still no reason to kill yourself, and hurt your family, friends, wives, sons, daughters or anyone else.

People do not understand that when they do things like this, whatever pain they have means nothing to those they leave behind.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Not understanding what?

That depression is an illness and that people aren't weak for choosing to kill themselves. They aren't some wimpy dope. It's a serious matter which they consider for quite a long time before making their choice.

That it is ok to off yourself because (YOU CANT TAKE IT)?

This is what you're not understanding. It's not about not being able to take it.

It's about not wanting to live anymore. At that point, it no longer matters if things might get better. It no longer is relevant.

Everyone has a hard life, some worse than others, still no reason to kill yourself, and hurt your family, friends, wives, sons, daughters or anyone else.

Stop being self righteous and look at what I'm writing. Yes, some people have worse lives that those who commit suicide. That's not the point. The people who have worse lives and are fighting to live want to live. Depression is a mental illness, it is distinctly different from being sad or making hard decisions.

People do not understand that when they do things like this, whatever pain they have means nothing to those they leave behind.

They do understand that their leaving will hurt someone. Most, anyways. What right do you have to say that they did not consider these things?

You have never been in a suicidal state of mind. As I have said before, please do not act as if you know, because you don't. You think you're better than they are and think they're weak, when all you're doing is being ignorant.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

It's about not wanting to live anymore. At that point, it no longer matters if things might get better. It no longer is relevant.

Going off what Kasic said..

Also..sometimes it isn't even fully just not wanting to live anymore..but to get out of whatever they are in..and they feel there is truly no other way to escape their pain and anguish

Suicide is a severe Defensive coping mechanism..others include withdrawal, substance abuse, self inflicting pain, and aggression. These people (the ones contemplating suicide) are already in a state of hopelessness, and their suicide is not a result of them "not being able to take it"..but a result of their depression pushing way past their breaking point

Everyone has their breaking point..physically, mentally, emotionally, and psychologically. This is not an arguable statement (take the strongest man in the world..give him weights to hold and keep adding to it..eventually he will be unable to hold him. Give the smartest man in the world a test over certain subjects..continuously add subjects to the test and eventually he will be unable to adequately complete the test, etc). Not having your breaking point met (despite having a "rough life&quot does not mean you are "stronger" than them, per se, but that you just haven't had it met. Maybe your coping strategy was more effective, maybe your idea of a "rough life" is different than their idea, etc

Also..you comment about how you don't get it because you have never had that mindset..but then continue to insult and belittle the people that have. Again, as Kasic mentioned, you are only being ignorant. You have no knowledge on that mindset, yet you assert yourself with the right to degrade that had that fatal mindset
Showing 1-15 of 72