ForumsWEPRsuicide

72 27037
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

i just read a story in the paper about a boy who killed himself and it was pretty sad. just wondering if other people have encountered suicide in their lives

• 72 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

ends on a different time than it's supposed to be.

Depends on your views of determinism.

Even if we had suicidal thoughts of our own it's possible to relate but never to understand, because nobody is the same.

Then who are we to judge it as 'horrible'?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I must say i'm surprised that it took so long for a "devote" religious person to join this thread.

Hard to call him a devote religious person..since I'm about 99% sure he is just a troll

please no obvious trolls doing obvious trolling, just don't.

The irony

now on topic, suicide is a horrible thing

I'd say more tragic than horrible
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

But it was a made choice by those who commited it and we will never fully understand what made them take such a step.

There are factors influencing people though, social and biological ones. Social ones are rather intuitive, or so one could think. Biological ones are still controversed and/or studied, but it doesn't mean we will udnerstand them fully at some point.

But it's hard to "understand" an irrational decision. People surviving suicide attempts like jumping from bridges sometimes report regretting their act during the fall. I don't think suicidal people realise the consequences or meaning of their act the same way a non-suidical person does.
Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

well there we go again, excuse me once more for making my uhm bad english sound things different than what i intended to say.
(no sarcasm i'm honestly sorry)

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

excuse me once more for making my uhm bad english sound things different than what i intended to say.

Is this to me?

If so..your English is actually quite fine, first off. Second, I wasn't arguing with you or anything..just stating that I'd view suicide more as a tragic thing than a horrible one..calling it horrible makes it sound insidious, in my opinion
Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

yes it was to you, and honestly with horrible i meant it in a way as something that shouldn't happen. Horrible as in it's horrible that some people must endure something that, together with other factors might cause them to end their life.

It saddens me that people commit suicide but i do admit that i can, in a way understand that they considered it the right thing to do. I'm not saying it was the right thing, nor will i say it was wrong it was their decision and no matter what it took a decent amount of bravery to carry it out.

KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

[i]Got any evidence, even scripture, that supports this?[i]
Actually, if you die with mortal sin on your soul, you go to hell, and killing is a mortal sin.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Actually, if you die with mortal sin on your soul, you go to hell, and killing is a mortal sin.

That's nice. Now could you answer his question? Where's your evidence, or even scripture passage, which says this?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

and killing is a mortal sin.

Then why was it ordered by God plenty of times?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

To further the point more on-topic, Samson is venerated in the New Testament for his faithful suicide in which he kills thousands.

KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

God can kill,and order to kill. We as humans can't do it. Obviously you are atheist, so I can't argue with you. You're just going to be ignorant. The freakin 5th commandment is "Thou shall not kill"

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

God can kill,and order to kill.

How is it right for God to kill people?

The freakin 5th commandment is "Thou shall not kill"

See -> "Samson is venerated in the New Testament for his faithful suicide in which he kills thousands."
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

God can kill,and order to kill. We as humans can't do it.

God did NOT kill Samson, God did NOT order Samson to commit suicide, yet he's honored for it.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Killing yourself because your upset, and killing yourself to save others are two completely different things. Pulling the pillar down was a heroic act, so it was not wrong. Soldiers who fight in war are basically killing themselves, but they are heroes. My older brother died in war. Now I'm left with just a Mentally handicap brother. (Doesn't have to do with anything lol)

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Pulling the pillar down was a heroic act, so it was not wrong.

"The 9/11 hijackers slamming jets into buildings was a heroic act, so it was not wrong."
Showing 46-60 of 72