ForumsWEPRWill Christianity Die Out?

213 81898
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

So I was thinking a few day ago about all the religions that died out because they worshiped the sun, and I'm curious if you think Christianity will do the same due to its outdated beliefs (well to be exact Jesus is the sun, and Christianity also has roots in astronomy but whatever).

• 213 Replies
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

It will die out like everything does but a new belief will find its way to replace Christianity. It will be started by a younger generation and spread far more easily. I do think though it will not be as religious more of a casual type as the is less and less need for a Jesus like figure.

thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

casual type

possibly christianity will do that and become more modern just a maybe though.

Jesus like figure.

messiah in judaism.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

possibly christianity will do that and become more modern just a maybe though.

The only ''modernization'' it's doing is trying to fit its beliefs increasingly unconvincingly to suit the ever growing pile of scientific fact going against it. Like those blokes adopting the line that "Evolution did occur, but God created the first micro-organism that evolved".

Forcing square pegs into round holes is just plain sad.
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Forcing square pegs into round holes is just plain sad.

Especially if they're trying to cheat.
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

It's hard for me to see Christianity die out when it stimulates the economy and creates jobs for thousands of people in America.

But I also think that as science progresses and as information on the internet is more easily accessible, people will begin to further themselves from Christianity.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

It's hard for me to see Christianity die out when it stimulates the economy and creates jobs for thousands of people in America.

Well, that's the same reason they gave for slavery too, wasn't it? You might have a point about the money though, Christian ministries are far too powerful financially to die out in the short run.
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Well, that's the same reason they gave for slavery too, wasn't it? You might have a point about the money though, Christian ministries are far too powerful financially to die out in the short run.

That's different though. As America was established we realized how cruel and unfair slavery was and it was abolished.

Slavery stimulated the economy at the expense of the rights of an entire race. Churches and ministries may be corrupt but its not like having 5% of the entire population legally considered property. And I know you're not comparing Christianity to slavery but the negative effects of Christianity don't outweigh the positives for our economy.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

That's different though. As America was established we realized how cruel and unfair slavery was and it was abolished.

Do people realise now that Christianity itself is cruel and unfair to many marginalized groups?

The negative effects of Christianity can be measured in terms of economic hardship, but more importantly social welfare. They deny the right of marriage to millions of people worldwide (which often denies people the financial benefits of said marriage). They condemn simple medicinal practices ranging from vaccines (More pronounced in the past), to contraceptives (Which can save millions of lives, which would translate to a huge economic loss for my nations if you want to go into economics), drastically and negatively affecting the health of millions because religious leaders elected to not listen to the medical experts. They fleece billions of dollars in tithes which makes the financial and social situation of the poor even worse than it should be. Many religious societies ostracize people of other religions, or non-believers, casting them out as untouchables, breaking even family bonds.

We cannot just look at the economic side of religion to pass judgement on it (although a strong case can be made for how it is harming the economy, especially in Third World nations), lest we become mere unfeeling robots. The emotional distraught caused by bigotry has to be weighed up as well.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

:O Now it sounds like I'm just discussing the pros and cons of religion. Oops.

To link it back, yes I think it will die out eventually, because people will realise that its a marginalizing force against increasingly number of groups.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Do people realise now that Christianity itself is cruel and unfair to many marginalized groups?

Yes, Im not making a point that Christianity is right in any way, and I was mainly talking about churches in America, I truly have no knowledge on the effects it has in other countries.

I never looked at it that way so thank you for opening my eyes on that.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Yes, Im not making a point that Christianity is right in any way, and I was mainly talking about churches in America, I truly have no knowledge on the effects it has in other countries.

Yeah, I went off track. Sorry mate. :L
jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

Excuse me if this has been said but I don't feel like reading 17 pages worth of information hahahah.

Yeah Christianity at some point will die out. I didn't really used to think this until an interesting concept I recently heard about. This concept basically states that if you have alternate universes' the science will always be the same but religions will always differ. The science is a constant.

Probably not very relevant, but there's a solid chance science being this constant 'truth' will, eventually, be the major factor in the death of not only Christianity but religion as a whole. In saying this I think we still have many, many years ahead of us before this happens. A third of all Americans still don't believe in the theory of evolution ( source ). Sure this is an improvement from the half of Americans who didn't believe in evolution a dozen (I believe it was a dozen) years ago, but if this is only finding it's way to people, we've got some time before other things are introduced and accepted, or in this case left behind.

Excuse the fact I probably sound extremely pretentious and off-topic, I haven't slept in 36 hours (DON'T MAKE OUT AS IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN HERE BEFORE).

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

This concept basically states that if you have alternate universes' the science will always be the same but religions will always differ. The science is a constant.

That would depend on the physics of the alternate universes, but the process itself of basing conclusions on supporting evidence and using logical arguments should work in any reality.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

i cant help but throw my two cents in, it's been too long since i've wasted time here, but still. Christianity, as Christians believe, will last till the end of time. But the view on the so called "Christianity" today isn't based on what it was back when those beliefs were established. Although Christians today, of any denomination, believe 'similar' aspects on this, they all differ from the one that was established years ago, which they have forgotten, but catholicism has then grasped. Why did the ancient pagan religions die out? Because more 'sensible' religions like Christianity, mohammedism (whatever its called), and judaism came along. Catholicism, on the other hand, will decrease very soon, because it has 'old-fashion' standards, which dont flow in this corrupt, and quite lazy, world. People cant handle strict religions, and they may feel guilty being atheist, so they feel Christianity is the easier way. So it won't die out, but it may decrease because arabs are multiplying like rabbits, spreading their faith, christians and jews are all having 2 or 3 kids, and atheists will have 1 or 2 kids, or an abortion. So, unless birth rates go up, the religion percentage will only go down.
- R.I.P
KnightDeclan
1998-2014 XD

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

So it won't die out, but it may decrease because arabs are multiplying like rabbits, spreading their faith, christians and jews are all having 2 or 3 kids, and atheists will have 1 or 2 kids, or an abortion.

May I see some concrete statistics from an independent .edu or .gov source with these reasons as the answer?
Showing 151-165 of 213