ForumsWEPRPope Francis I

30 13204
Mickeyryn
Mickeyryn
276 posts
Shepherd

Anyone got any ideas as to how he will do?
Think he has a good agenda?
Blah, blah, blah, anyways, post anything Pope Francis here!

• 30 Replies
Jesty
Jesty
103 posts
Nomad

I think hi is a good pope. Congrats Pope Francis! god bless

redfan45
redfan45
197 posts
Nomad

Don't know much about him nor am I catholic or Christian nor do I have good feelings towards those things for what they did to my ancestors.

rustygooga
rustygooga
21 posts
Peasant

he seems friendly i think he will be a great pope but i am not too excited about it since i am christian i think that the pope is catholic

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

lets see how he reacts to the next kiddy fiddling case.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

but i am not too excited about it since i am christian i think that the pope is catholic

1) Catholics are Christians.
2) Popes are the head of the Catholic church.

he seems friendly i think he will be a great pope

Based on the info, he at least doesn't seem too bad. There were certainly worse choices.
rocky10199
rocky10199
70 posts
Peasant

He is pretty old so might not last that long.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Based on the info, he at least doesn't seem too bad. There were certainly worse choices.

The 2 main things that stuck out to me...stance on homosexuality and abortions..though those are the norms of his religion, so I can't really hate on him for that

He seems to be quite peaceful with his Brother religions (Judaism and the Islamic community)..so that's a plus

He is pretty old so might not last that long.

As opposed to all those young, fit, and healthy popes that there have been?
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Pope Benedict the 9th was around was uh... pope-ified? Papaled? Mitred? What ever the verb is, he was around 20 or so when he became a pope. Also, his wiki page is quite the entertaining read.

On another note, Popes have a much higher life expectancy (averaging around 80 years or so, 1700 to present) than other well-to-do males during that time period. There is a really good reason for this, but I'm curious to see if any of you AG-ers are clever enough to figure it out (its actually not that tricky).

On a more relevant note: I wonder what stance Francis will take on the increasingly staggering number of scandals the Catholic Church is wrapped up in? Will he go down in history as a reformer, or will he just try to sweep everything under the carpet?
LiquidKryptonite
LiquidKryptonite
30 posts
Jester

No. I'm a Christian and I'm not Catholic.

"Catholics are Christians" is different than "Christians are Catholics".
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

1) Catholics are Christians

[quote]No. I'm a Christian and I'm not Catholic.
[/quote]

Fact Check: Roman Catholic Church is one of the oldest Christian institutions and denominations in the world, as well as the single largest.

You may be a different denomination, but what we were debating is whether or not Catholicism is part of the Christian religion, which dozens of citations at the bottom of the link state it is.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Pope Benedict the 9th was around was uh... pope-ified? Papaled? Mitred? What ever the verb is, he was around 20 or so when he became a pope

In case it was missed..the point I was trying to make was that old age is the norm for Popes

but what we were debating is whether or not Catholicism is part of the Christian religion

How is that even a debate?
You'd think common sense would be something you didn't have to prove..
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

I saw the title of this thread and I thought to myself (being a Catholic) "oh no! This is going to be bad..." but some people seem to know a tiny bit about him.
He is a Jesuit so he is the first Pope from the Americas, the first Jesuit, and the first something else.... can't remember. ok well he is an exceedingly humble man, he took the bus to work, he cooked for himself, and I believe he took care of someone else for at least a while. He took the name Francis because he is like St. Francis d'Assisi (think I spelt that right). Anyways I am sure someone will have an objection to me or my comments. Feel free to object at will.

thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

Ok now I have read the thread...
WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???????
of course Catholics are Christians, we believe in Christ therefore are, by definition, Christians.
Also to adress the title of the thread he is the first "Francis" but he is just Pope Francis until there is another Francis then he will be Francis I.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Reading this thread has done two things to me:

1. Made me laugh that Christians can't agree on anything.
2. Made me realize how little I care for the new pope.

Mr Francis is nothing new in my eyes because all popes have done the same thing (make the church better than it was before). If we are going to talk about something, I say it should be what the guy needs to change about his church's message to get more followers, not this guy's personal history.

-Blade

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Made a mistake in my post:

Change it to claim that he will improve the church.

-Blade

Showing 1-15 of 30