162 posts
Peasant

Anyone on AG an avid paintballer?

• 18 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I used to, but then I took a paintball to the knee (I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist). I actually went a few times and had myself a good time. The prices are outrageous though.

thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

Yeah I agree. The place I go to charges 3-4 times more for the paint but it's really great.
I use a Tippmann A5 with a sniper barrel, stock, large tank, and scope.

sk8er
sk8er
7 posts
Nomad

im a boss at paintball

thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

What marker do you use?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I've currently got a Tippmann Gryphon, but I'm saving up for a Dye DM13 and some i4s.

sk8er
sk8er
7 posts
Nomad

dude nice gun! those babies r top dog!

thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

My friends has an S6 and says it's great but it doesn't seem to be that reliable, any opinions?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I love paintball, but not enough to buy my own equipment. I like to make like I'm in the Matrix when I play paintball, so I tend to dodge paintballs and believe that doing flips and dives makes me completely unhittable xD This generally means when offered body armor, I don't wear it (what I do wear is the mask, and the cup.) To quote one host: "I've never seen anybody do a somersault dive through the window in a game before."

Also I have a tendency to not actually use the gun except for close range takedowns, because I'm ninja like that (also saves you a bunch of money if you don't have to purchase ammo). This frustrates the umpires, because it's kind of "missing the point", but frankly I don't get all this sitting around behind a barrier potting away with an ungrooved round that doesn't even fly straight except at the range when you're technically not supposed to be shooting at people. I once won a &quotlant the bomb" round without a gun, by virtue of being able to move quickly behind enemy lines.

The one satisfaction I get from firing those things are headshots, because the paint splatter pretty much incapacitates that player for the rest of the round. I actually think that if I could (legitimately) organise a game which used either BB guns, or riot buckshot or something (for that I would actually wear armour), that would be even more fun.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I went a lot before, I was pretty good and hard to hit. Kinda like Strop, except less ninja and more gun, since anytime I go my friend pays for all the ammo and gun rentals :P
Sadly, I moved and there isnt a place that close to my house anymore so I havent been in over a year.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

My friends has an S6 and says it's great but it doesn't seem to be that reliable, any opinions?

For something relatively cheap, I'd go with a Tippmann 98 Custom. They're the AK-47 of markers, and you can do a lot of... customizing on them.

I actually think that if I could (legitimately) organise a game which used either BB guns, or riot buckshot or something (for that I would actually wear armour), that would be even more fun.

I'd... actually play this.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Oh, there is one thing I did discover. If you are upside down, airborne, or in any position other than upright... paintballs can and may hit you in the face from underneath your mask. I copped one in the teeth while charging a blockade once, it kind of really hurt :|

Maybe I should invest in a full helm.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Strop: Full helmets can get really hot on the inside, and the fan really only stops them from fogging up. I dunno how hot it gets where you're from, but I'm in the deep south.

Thats also why I'm a tad nervous about the i4. It really only covers your front face and eyes. But they look so, so sick.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

If I were me (which I am) and I were allowed (which I am not) I'd just wear goggles and a bandana. It's not as if copping a paintball in the mouth lost me any teeth, or my lips >_>

Also that rule about not firing at people point blank should be scrapped, really. Nobody ever follows it, at least not when you pop up in front of people without warning yelling "FREEZE!"

TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

I like paintball quite a lot, but i'm terrible at it and can't afford to play very often.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Also that rule about not firing at people point blank should be scrapped, really. Nobody ever follows it, at least not when you pop up in front of people without warning yelling "FREEZE!"

Eh, the refs where I go are really strict about it. It sucks because you end up with two people screaming at each other.

"You surrender mother f**cker!"

"No, you surrender mother f**cker!"

And then a third party comes along and shoots both of them. :/
Showing 1-15 of 18