ForumsWEPRWhat would be the best way to unpopulate the earth

255 90738
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Any answers hopefully humane and by unpopulate i mean lower human populations.

• 255 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Capybara City, nicer ring than Raccoon City. ^^

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

But what if the virus mutates into a more lethal strain (with a 90% kill rate), called the Zepplin Virus, and goes airborne? The virus, causing psychological imbalance and reducing human intelligence to primal instinct and bloodlust, would infect nearly anyone without an oxygen purifying system. Those infected would kill any remaining humans immune to the airborne version of the infection, as ZV would constantly pump the host with adrenaline and enhance their physical attributes and the virus can spread through saliva contact as well as blood.

But what if that virus mutates into the Goomba virus, which would cause the human population to slowly transform into small, mushroom like people that only have the capacity to move back and forth within a 5-10 meter linear location with susceptible weakness to brain trauma.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Ernie's idea sounds a lot like libertarianism. I am surprised no one caught that. But yeah, sourcing from video games is weird. I was wondering why you were doing that.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Ernie's idea sounds a lot like libertarianism. I am surprised no one caught that. But yeah, sourcing from video games is weird. I was wondering why you were doing that.

It's almost like you are implying that video-game logic has no place in WEPR. As if the WEPR is for actual debates using science, logic and real world situations.

Weird.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So, would the human population eventually die of exhaustion? Or does the Goomba virus increase one's lifespan?

What? No
They all turn into blocks.

Have you never even played the game?!

As if the WEPR is for actual debates using science, logic and real world situations.

That would make no sense
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

There is the famous "hole in the ozone layer," though. Would it be possible to, say, make another one above the poles? Assuming that the hole would actually increase the temperature of a specific area.

It has virtually no impact on the climate/temperature whatsoever. It affects the penetration of ionizing radiation from sunlight.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Please don't feed the troll.

Yeah, that's me. Questioning the legitimacy of video-game logic in the WEPR. Also, what is sarcasm.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Would it be possible to, say, make another one above the poles?

There is still one. Both too little ozone, and too much ozone is toxic to life. We are in a balancing act as it is.

Matt wrote:
so, after a few attempts to justify the idea, I dropped it

Matt wrote:
I think that one might involve actual magic. Or does the Goomba virus increase one's lifespan?

Are you serious?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Ernie's first idea (the libertarianism one) is unlikely to happen because of obvious social disagreement, political limitations, and other unneeded-to-point-out factors. If you want an example, look at how popular the libertarians are.

His second idea (the polar ice caps one) is unlikely to happen because, as FishPreferred pointed out, we're in a fragile enough situation as it is. That and the resources to pull such a feat off are tremendously expensive, while a racial genocide would be much easier.

I'm humourously in favor of the Carlin "4 Groups of People that Gotta Go" scenario.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I said racial genocide would be easier than melting the ice caps. Each of those paragraphs are to be considered separately.

Need evidence?

Nazis came pretty danged close.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Nazis came pretty danged close.

I already suggested that, but noooo. Apparently it isn't a viable solution. Pfft, as if. Maybe if we target Christians first it would be more effective.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

First of all, I don't understand your point. It may just be me, but it went right over my head. Secondly, how much do you think it really costs to melt a continent (and then some), and why?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Plus, the Nazis ultimately failed. You can't say that a project to melt the ice caps would fail, as no one has attempted to do so.

Because of war.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Here is an article to show that melting the ice caps would cost more than WWII (2-20 trillion or something like that). Also, melting the ice caps is a very noticeable problem, compared to racial genocide anyway. There is genocide occurring right now, so yeah. Are we done with this topic? :S

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) is a good example of showing just how much Nuclear Weapons we've stockpiled up in the cold war.

If your argument is that the most cost-efficient way is the most humane way, you're contradicting your original post regarding nuclear radiation.

Showing 226-240 of 255