ForumsWEPRWhy arent people "BRAVE" anymore?

60 19717
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

Back in medieval times people wouldnt be afraid of anything at all but now theyr all cowards and when you point a gun or anything at you they are like "Dont kill me!!! anyway tell me why people are cowards,answers may lead to movies,stories all things like that

• 60 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Where did you get that warped idealistic notion that medieval people are brave and not cowards? They certainly had their share of cowards, deserters and what not.

Open your local newspapers. There are heroes everyday.

mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

don't you read that they would charge into battle without fear of death,thats BRAVENESS and when i was talking about medieval i meant before for example in the Civil War when many soldiers died in battle and even in world war 1,2 charging into battle even though there were machine guns mowing them down.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Bravery or forced too by harsh punishment? For every battle where soldiers ''charged bravely'' into battle, there is one where soldiers desert or just ran.

So what? Are soldiers today not brave as well? If you think so, then you're ignorant; soldiers still rush into battle. Just because less of them die, does not make them less brave. Were the Coalition soldiers who died in the Middle East cowards? Are the UN troops in peace missions all over the world cowards? Are the Nigerians cracking down on Boko Haram cowards? Are the Malians fighting terrorists cowards? Are the civilians fighting in Syria cowards? No. None of them are. We have plenty of examples of bravery today.

mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

nah most of them were brave back then

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

don't you read that they would charge into battle without fear of death,thats BRAVENESS and when i was talking about medieval i meant before for example in the Civil War when many soldiers died in battle and even in world war 1,2 charging into battle even though there were machine guns mowing them down.

you call that bravenes? i call that stupidity.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

nah most of them were brave back then

Let's give some counter examples of that alright? From a plethora of sources.

The desertion rate for American soldiers in the War of 1812 was 12.7%, according to available service records.

Up to 104,000 men deserted the Confederate Army during the Civil War.

20,000 British servicemen were convicted for desertion from the years 1914-1920;

The Romans had such a problem with desertion that court martials were introduced, and were common.

Napoleon was losing from 5,000 to 6,000 men a day through sickness or desertion during his invasion of Russia.

The mercenaries from Genoa famously tried to flee from the battle field during the Battle of Crecy, leading to the even more famous massacre by their French allies. Apart from this, mercenaries were famous for fleeing the battlefield during the medieval period.

Unless you're prepared to give concrete examples, don't even bother making unsupported comments.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

You've watched too much Braveheart.

As nicho said, this "medieval bravery" stuff is idealistic, because when we talk of medieval times, we like to think of the "noble knight" ideal, ignoring they were most likely fat dirty rapists.

There's also that thing about Valhalla, that has certainly heavily influenced our perception of people back then. Only those who die in battle get there, that kind of stuff. Doesn't mean that all nordic people were brave. Besides, I wouldn't even call it brave, if you are convinced that you'll end up drinking mead if you die in battle. Engaging a fight without that conviction is much braver.

Lastly, braveness is a tad overrated. Better be reasonable than brave. It's healthier.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

As nicho said, this "medieval bravery" stuff is idealistic, because when we talk of medieval times, we like to think of the "noble knight" ideal, ignoring they were most likely fat dirty rapists.

Yes, this also ignores that intimidation and fear were common place tactics in battle, even in that time.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

This reminds me of a quote I once read:

"Fools are willing to die for what they believe in, but only a wise man will try to live for what he believes in."-J.D. Salinger

It isn't a matter of bravery, because bravery isn't a lack of fear, but a courage to face them. There is bravery every day, but the bravery you want is nothing more than foolish bloodlust. If people had no fear, then they would be just as irrational as those with too much fear. That is why your view is not only flawed, but fatal as well.

-Blade

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

My step dad caught a live copperhead with a pipe and his hands then released it into the nearby woods yesterday .It's still there but you have to look in certain places.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

One last thing
fear nothing,respect everything.Bravery involves a great deal of fear I know this myself.I am ashamed to say I fear many things but I'd stair death in the face if I have to.My point is even if you are afraid ignore it if you can replace fear with respect.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

don't you read that they would charge into battle without fear of death,thats BRAVENESS

Good job Cherry Picking there.
Question: Have you heard about the wars going on?
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

hmm yeah maybe true

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

War has evolved with technology, as well as the way in which war is fought.

Soldiers would clash head on with each other because it was an efficient means to attack an opponent, or to defend from attackers who rushed straight in.

When soldiers began fighting with guns, they would often stand shoulder to shoulder with one another and volley shots. That's because guns were inaccurate and slow to reload. Having every soldier fire at the same time made bullets much more difficult to dodge. But the downside to this strategy is that soldiers would be left exposed, with so many of them being clumped in one spot. The soldiers became an easier target.

Eventually we begin to see gorilla warfare, where soldiers would retreat behind cover more often and take advantage of the fact the enemy had everyone lumped together in one large group.

Today, soldiers don't rush blindly into battle like they sort of did in the past. Is it because they're cowards? No, it's because it's an outdated strategy. The goal is to win your battle with the least number of casualties as possible.

The reason soldiers in the past would expose themselves to more danger isn't because they were more brave, but because they didn't have better alternatives. Today, we have much better alternatives, and therefore we have the luxury to take more precautions.

Of course, there are still soldiers who are placed in very dangerous situations. There are still many soldiers who are acting as brave as you claim soldiers in the past acted. But if you're curious why we don't have more soldiers running straight for the enemy on foot, it's because such tactics are outdated.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Eventually we begin to see gorilla warfare, where soldiers would retreat behind cover more often and take advantage of the fact the enemy had everyone lumped together in one large group.

Me King Kong, me smash!
Showing 1-15 of 60