ForumsPopular MediaSub or Dub [Anime]

25 13094
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i saw a anime post a few minutes ago, i don't know if this topic has been made yet as i haven't made a topic in about 2 years, so in anime do you prefer dubs or Japanese with subs?

myself i like some anime dubbed like dbz, fma, trigun,FLCL, and ECT.

but some i preferred subbed, like detective Conan, high school of the dead, zatch bell/konjiki no gash bell!, angel beats, and ECT

• 25 Replies
Strawburries
Strawburries
2 posts
Nomad

I prefer most of the anime I watch to be subbed. Dubbed feels unnatural. xD

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'm a toss-up. Every anime I've watched has been dubbed...but

Dubbed - Usually things are changed, like how things are said, personality of a character (albeit, usually just slightly), what happens in a story, etc.

Subbed - Such a huge effing distraction having to focus on a certain part of the picture

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

depends if i saw it the 1st time subbed or dubbed. i usually like it most the way i saw it for the 1st time.

wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

It really depends, I haven't watched subbed much, but it's annoying having to watch the bottom of the screen. I usually watched dubbed even through they change things often.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

in dubbs they usually cut out more of the vulgar language and certain...perverted related things... which i do not approve of

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I like subs, because I like to hear the characters talk the way the makers intended them to speak.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I usually choose subs because the dubs commonly have horrible voice acting.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

definitely subbed. its a totally different feeling. and when its so different that a whole personality changes its annoying because you dont get the same experience.

i remember watching cardcaptor sakura in hebrew first. i loved it and sakura was like this sassy happy go lucky girl.

then i rewatched it years later in japanese and it was so different. it was like watching a totally different show. the sub is the closest (pretty much identical) to what the artists (yes) want to show so except for when its not available i really see no other reason to watch dubbed animes.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I can't get immersed in the anime when it's subbed. I don't enjoy having to read every single thing they say. It also detracts from the anime if all i'm looking at is words, and not the show.

HappySunFlow
HappySunFlow
28 posts
Farmer

Subs all the way. Get into the sub-marine. Go to Sub-way and buy me a sub-sandwich. It's a bird, it's a plane - no, it's sub-erman.

I honestly cannot stand dubbing in anime. If I'm watching something that was made in a non-English-speaking country, I would prefer to have everything with subtitles, as they do not detract from the actors' original voices. I enjoy hearing how the characters are supposed to talk, plus you can actually learn a bit about pronunciation of certain words as well as snippets of languages.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I've watched all my anime subbed since I legitimately got into it. For some reason, English dubbed voice acting never seems to be good. I've seen some Chinese dubs though, and they were much better. But it's easier to find anime subbed so, I stick with that. Unfortunately, subs do distract a bit, and it's easy to miss subtle but important details when watching them subbed.

However, there are a few anime that I can't imagine in their original Japanese forms, mainly because I grew up on them. DBZ and Pokemon come to mind. In retrospect, the voice acting was still pretty ****ty though.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Problem too, is that there aren't that many dubbing voice actors, hence everyone might start to sound the same.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Problem too, is that there aren't that many dubbing voice actors, hence everyone might start to sound the same.

*peeks over the border to germany*
confirmed
Squiddicus
Squiddicus
266 posts
Peasant

It doesn't really matter that much, but if I'm watching something with a lot of action like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Mobile Suit Gundam, I'll try to watch a dub if I can.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

sometimes i prefer not to watch anime where the guys sound like 5 year old girls

Showing 1-15 of 25