ForumsThe TavernSuperman Made Real

22 6879
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

What if Superman became real today? How do you think society would act? What would be your reaction? What things in the world would change do you think? Would the Government fear him? Or try and make him an ally?

• 22 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I don't care about what the government would do. I'd just throw a green rock at him at night. Die Superman! Die!

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I'll never understand why a kryptonite bullet was never made. Point a gun at him, he laughs at you, and you shoot his brains out. :/

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

If Superman was real, certainly, crime would be in much fewer numbers than what is present today. Will it be non-existent? No. Simply due to the fact that there are multiple crimes happening around the world, and Superman will usually never brutally punish the criminals and usually, he takes the time to actually turn them in to the local police.

Also, if he was real, no country would ever have the guts to declare war on USA just because Superman is mainly an "American". Where do you think Metropolis is? This would essentially hand over much of the world to USA, and the government might even take advantage of this.

Also, the government may fear him and essentially start a "secret military operation" in case Superman ever turns rogue against USA. People can be pretty paranoid. However, they would treat Superman with kindness and give him many benefits so that the possibility of becoming a traitor is lowered, because there's a pretty low chance you can win against a guy that survived nukes.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'll never understand why a kryptonite bullet was never made. Point a gun at him, he laughs at you, and you shoot his brains out. :/

Also..apparently Kyptonite is sold at the nearest Walmart, saying as how everyone and their dog has a stash of it somewhere.

If Superman was real, certainly, crime would be in much fewer numbers than what is present today. Will it be non-existent? No. Simply due to the fact that there are multiple crimes happening around the world, and Superman will usually never brutally punish the criminals and usually, he takes the time to actually turn them in to the local police.

What about the possibility of crime also rising..or at least, more horrendous crimes..due to the fact OF superman and villains wanting to defeat him, or at least get the best of him?
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

What about the possibility of crime also rising..or at least, more horrendous crimes..due to the fact OF superman and villains wanting to defeat him, or at least get the best of him?

That's certainly possible, although unlikely. I mean, you'd have to be a real lunatic to think you can win against an alien that can fly, shoot laser beams, super strength, super speed, freeze breath, and all the other OP powers that comic book writers have given him over the years.

Then again, if Superman was real, there's a possibility of super powered villains coming into the world, too. Though, again, highly unlikely, unless you're an alien or somehow learn "dark magic".

=P
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

There have been several incarnations where a kryptonite bullet was used. I don't think he was ever shot in the head, but you forgot one of his greatest superpowers, plot convenience.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

because Superman is mainly an "American".

Technically still an illegal alien. Deport him!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

If he was real, I would fear for the world. No nation can be trusted with such power invested in a single person.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Nothing the magic of retconning can't solve!

Divorcing Superman from the context of his world and dropping him into ours would be a cause for grave concern. Regardless of affiliation, concentrating all that power into one person would be unsettling. Trust would be difficult to earn, and with no effective way to stop him we would probably be at his mercy.

At least he would deter violent crime.

Also, if he was real, no country would ever have the guts to declare war on USA just because Superman is mainly an "American". Where do you think Metropolis is? This would essentially hand over much of the world to USA, and the government might even take advantage of this.

Mainly an American? What is the rest of him, then? A global citizen? Our Earth isn't the same as the Earth of the Superman lore. I would advise against making too many assumptions. Hell, with all his powers and no kryptonite to weaken him.. he could single-handedly end wars all by himself. Super strength, invulnerability, flight and heat vision among other abilities. That's pretty daunting to face, if you ask me.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Mainly an American? What is the rest of him, then? A global citizen? Our Earth isn't the same as the Earth of the Superman lore. I would advise against making too many assumptions.

True, but there is not much I can say about a comic book character than somehow gains more and more skills when comic writers feel they must add more. Fictional characters are hard to predict, unless you're the comic writer. So yes, I'm making many assumptions, but they're all assumptions based on the comics, so it's more like an educated guess. Do I know for sure? Of course not.

Hell, with all his powers and no kryptonite to weaken him.. he could single-handedly end wars all by himself. Super strength, invulnerability, flight and heat vision among other abilities. That's pretty daunting to face, if you ask me.

I don't think Superman will be completely impartial or unbiased, as Superman has been living a majority of his life in America, as well as being raised there in the first place, so there's a chance that he would favor USA in disputes. Sure, wars may be stopped and he will stop the USA if they were to ever become too "evil", but America may take advantage of Superman's patriotism. How? They can secretly black mail certain countries for oil, or do some other things without Superman's knowledge.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Well, for one, if Superman came to life, I'd tell him to get a cooler looking suit. Something that doesn't look like who wore his pants and then put his underwear on.

Society, I think, will freak out and trust the government and military to dispose of him.

I think both the government and the military would attempt to strike him down, hold him in military captivity, experiment on him, and use his DNA to manufacture super soldiers with this line being used "To end the war with Iran".

I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I think both the government and the military would attempt to strike him down, hold him in military captivity, experiment on him, and use his DNA to manufacture super soldiers with this line being used "To end the war with Iran".

There is no war with Iran.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

[quote=Riptizoid]True, but there is not much I can say about a comic book character than somehow gains more and more skills when comic writers feel they must add more. Fictional characters are hard to predict, unless you're the comic writer. So yes, I'm making many assumptions, but they're all assumptions based on the comics, so it's more like an educated guess. Do I know for sure? Of course not. [/quote]

Fair enough. Now the bane of contention lies in whether one agrees with the education of your guesses.

Though I'm not really a big Superman fan, so I don't know a whole lot of stuff about the lore.

I don't think Superman will be completely impartial or unbiased, as Superman has been living a majority of his life in America, as well as being raised there in the first place, so there's a chance that he would favor USA in disputes. Sure, wars may be stopped and he will stop the USA if they were to ever become too "evil", but America may take advantage of Superman's patriotism. How? They can secretly black mail certain countries for oil, or do some other things without Superman's knowledge.

You have a point.. However, it makes the prospect of having Superman on Earth scarier than I made it out to be, which is lovely!

Still, I don't think Superman is such a tool. If he found out he was being played, then *cough* *cough*..

There is no war with Iran.

Oh Nicho, you silly goose. There is a war with Iran.

It exists in the minds of god-fearing neocon hillbillies. But it is a war with Iran.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

It exists in the minds of god-fearing neocon hillbillies. But it is a war with Iran.

I forgot. Let me me get my Bush-approved blindfolds, and News-Repelling-Fox-Exception earplugs.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I forgot. Let me me get my Bush-approved blindfolds, and News-Repelling-Fox-Exception earplugs.

Add a dose of yeehaw populist American exceptionalism, and you're good to go!
Showing 1-15 of 22