ForumsWEPRThe LGBT Community

81 37716
darkblueoc
darkblueoc
31 posts
Nomad

It seems it's no longer taboo for one to be part of this group, and in fact it is becoming popular media. Any thoughts?

• 81 Replies
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Asexual falls under queer the same way that gay, lesbian, bi, pan, etc fall under queer.

MC92
MC92
2 posts
Nomad

The LGBT community are subverting the moral fabric of society.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Care to explain?
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Care to explain?

He's a troll who was banned. /explained.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Great. Is there anywhere we can sign up?
chrystalfox
chrystalfox
20 posts
Nomad

Back to taking this more seriously...

Instead of having all these letters for representation, can we just call it queer? First it was lgbt, then lgbtq, then lgbtqa, then lgbtqia.... its just to much. If we just call it queer, we wouldn't have to deal with people relearning the order of the alphabet just to say they're part of a group.

I don't mean to sound offensive, I just think it's all a little tedious.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I don't mean to sound offensive, I just think it's all a little tedious.

That's the problem though. Queer is offensive.

As was said earlier, the movement is just about equality and fighting bigotry against those of non-heterosexual sexual orientation.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Instead of having all these letters for representation, can we just call it queer?

As Kasic said

Frankly, I just refer it as LGBT+ for the few times I mention it
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Asexual falls under queer the same way that gay, lesbian, bi, pan, etc fall under queer.

Why would Asexual people hang with a specific group of sexually actives? Is there a reason they don't hang with the heterosexuals? In their case there is nothing really in discrimination (not anymore than other people discriminate each other.) I don't think asexual people will be "coming out" and doing Parades? I would like to know why people are asexual. Is it due to lack of hormones? With injections to balance hormones will that help in anyway?

The Term will Still be LGBT since they have been the widest used terms. As for asexual and pan-sexuality and few others aren't really understood.

I am one who dose not like to put labels on something. Only for references and some society influence is most peoples views.

That's the problem though. Queer is offensive.

There will always be people who will be offended by something. A suggestion is to not let it offend you. Also i thought the Q stood for questioning?
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

There will always be people who will be offended by something.

This argument always makes me wonder. The people who react to the insinuation that a word is offensive with derision or ridicule are also often quite conservative and think swearing is wrong.

Why would Asexual people hang with a specific group of sexually actives?

The movement is about acceptance of all sexual orientations and people.

Is there a reason they don't hang with the heterosexuals?

It's the same one as homosexuals, bisexual, and transgendered people. They aren't viewed as legitimate ways to feel or be, and are oppressed/mistreated/viewed as wrong.

I would like to know why people are asexual. Is it due to lack of hormones? With injections to balance hormones will that help in anyway?

I would like to know why men are queers. Is it because they're girly? If you give them testosterone injections will that help in any way?

What's wrong with being asexual? Why does this need to be corrected? You probably didn't intend it, but your statement was offensive. Asexuality isn't a disease any more than homosexuality. Your statement is akin to asking why corrective treatment for homosexuality is bad.

Also i thought the Q stood for questioning?

I honestly have no idea what it stands for, nor do I particularly care. It could be for Quidditch and it wouldn't concern me.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I don't really see a need to add or rearrange the letters. It's the idea behind it that is needed to be gotten across and that would seem to be able to be done just fine as it is.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Why would Asexual people hang with a specific group of sexually actives? Is there a reason they don't hang with the heterosexuals? In their case there is nothing really in discrimination (not anymore than other people discriminate each other.) I don't think asexual people will be "coming out" and doing Parades? I would like to know why people are asexual. Is it due to lack of hormones? With injections to balance hormones will that help in anyway?

I was not aware that there was an asexual element to this community of excessive acronyms. I suppose it helps increase awareness that asexuality is an actual thing, although I would think it detrimental to be directly associated with the very same sexual orientations that they are often assumed to secretly or subconsciously share.

People are asexual due, at least in part, to a general disinclination toward sexual activity. Hormones will not reconfigure the brain; they can only interfere with its control over specific organs and tissues. If to "help" is to normalize, the only help for anyone is to be a mass-produced clone.
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

I would like to know why men are queers. Is it because they're girly? If you give them testosterone injections will that help in any way?

Still lack of knowledge why. reasons would be that genetic and environmental issues.These apply to most behaviors. Could be a hormonal imbalance aswell. They aren't all girly. either. If the injections will work or not is debatable/ I think most gays wouldn't even attempt to have it done as part of their individuality.

What's wrong with being asexual? Why does this need to be corrected? You probably didn't intend it, but your statement was offensive. Asexuality isn't a disease any more than homosexuality. Your statement is akin to asking why corrective treatment for homosexuality is bad.

All my posts are intended to be impartial, so that those for and against things see a way to contribute. Also i want to point out that i didn't say they should, i just asked a question. If necessary in a response or asked i will state, My true views on most things is relaxed. I use logic and understanding in everything.

What i meant by it was, every species on the planet, in order for survival is based on desire and reproduction. Now i am aware that any sexuality type is able to reproduce that is fine. Desire to partner with another is a key basis for happiness by they of same gender or not. What ever makes you happy is important.

As most people probably don't quite understand is the lack of sexual desire for anyone and they make up from a survey i seen around 1% or total people. What my question was about is if there is a hormonal problem where you are unable to have desire then it should be thought about. From the actives point of view, imagine one day just losing the ability to have desire. After awhile it would be terrible I imagine. From the asexual view, not having the ability for desire in the first place mean they don't seem to have anything missing or do they?

Hormones will not reconfigure the brain; they can only interfere with its control over specific organs and tissues. If to "help" is to normalize, the only help for anyone is to be a mass-produced clone.

So are you saying, from say a brain scan you can see a difference in the sexual orients? Hormones i know are at-least used in gender reassignment. Possibly sexual identity.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

What my question was about is if there is a hormonal problem where you are unable to have desire then it should be thought about. From the actives point of view, imagine one day just losing the ability to have desire. After awhile it would be terrible I imagine. From the asexual view, not having the ability for desire in the first place mean they don't seem to have anything missing or do they?

It is not necessarily about their being incapable of desire. The absence of sexual desire does not necessitate that these people are miserable or unfulfilled. They will enjoy other aspects of life, at least those who do not also suffer from clinical depression or extremely unenviable circumstances.

So are you saying, from say a brain scan you can see a difference in the sexual orients? Hormones i know are at-least used in gender reassignment. Possibly sexual identity.

I am saying that sexual identity is not determined by hormonal signalling. I have not heard of any case where gender reassignment has changed this, as usually it is the identity which gives rise to the operation and not the reverse.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

What i meant by it was, every species on the planet, in order for survival is based on desire and reproduction.

Today, humans are the most advanced species on the planet. When I was younger, something they taught me in biology was that all species have 2 basic goals: survival of self, and survival of species (reproduction). As we are highly advanced organisms the second goal is unnecessary. On a person by person basis it does not matter whether we reproduce or not. If humans were fighting against natural selection and larger, smarter or more dangerous predators then being not-straight would be a severe disadvantage.

As for why asexuals are considered part of the LGBTQ+ community, a sexual orientation regarded as "weird" or simply not recognised/accepted by the majority would surely want support from orientations suffering similar fates, however even within the community there are many who don't believe asexuality exists, or if it does it should not be considered part of the community.

I don't really see a need to add or rearrange the letters. It's the idea behind it that is needed to be gotten across and that would seem to be able to be done just fine as it is.

What do you mean by this post? Are you happy with simply LGBT? When you read that acronym, what do you think of?
Showing 61-75 of 81