ForumsSupport ForumN&N and Greg Merit Guide!

99 34389
GregWeeler
GregWeeler
259 posts
Nomad

For further information after you read this, please refer to the Help Section and any questions you may have can be answered there.

Also if you would like to nominate somebody for a merit, check out the Merit_Recognition Page. Here you can nominate other users for merits as long as you submit it in the correct form. DO NOT nominate your self! Once again the mods will be upset if you do.

This is the N&N Guide to Merits!
BY: nick_coolhaha and XCoheedX

INTRODUCTION

On each user page, there is an area that numbers how many merits you have earned. Merits are earned by writing constructive, thoughtful comments in the Games section. They are meant to give feedback to the game creator/s in order to help them improve the game or make a sequel. Moderators reward those who take the time to think out a good comment, as it contributes a lot to the website and sets a good example for others. The post does not have to be a book in length, but should be interesting enough to grab our attention. For each merit you receive, you will earn 25 AP and your post will stand out. Only moderators and administrators give out merits. You can help them choose who gets the merits by hitting the "up-vote" arrow next to comments on the game pages.

Okay, now we'll like to say that the N&N stands for Nick and Nick, because both mine and XCoheedX's names are Nick, so please don't spam this topic with dumb questions, like what does N&N stand for? A merit, of course is a reward for writing great comments on games. To write a good merit, there are many things that must be included. Also, keep in mind that this guide doesn't guarantee you a merit. This is simply a guide to help you guys out, and to head you guys towards the right direction. These are just things that we both use while writing our comments and have decide to share with the entire Armor Games community.

THE GUIDE

1) If there's something that you really liked or disliked right before you have actually started playing the game, for example, the loading screen or main menu, mention this in your review because this just basically makes your comment a little better.

2) This next step is very important! Actually play the game for a good amount of time, maybe like 5-10 minutes, because this allows your brain to get a good idea of what the game is about, so you'll be able to include more in your writing.

3) Now, after playing the game for a good while, you can begin your writing. You can mention a lot of things about the game, whether it was good or bad, or if you enjoyed it or disliked it, and make sure to include why you felt that way. Also, make a critique on the game's concept and game-play. This always makes your comment a lot better and a little longer. Also, if you find something wrong with the game, tell what you would add to fix the problem, or just something you would like to see in a sequel.

4) By this time your comment should be a decent size. After you have followed the previous steps, make a comment on the games visuals and audio. This means, to make a comment on whether you liked or dislike the game's artwork/graphics, the music, the style of art, and defiantly make sure to include why you said what you said. Remember to always give a reason why you think about something because it's really bad when you just say a statement and can't say why you think that way.

5) This step is pretty hard to include into all the games that you're commenting, but usually you'll find a game where you'll be able to add this step in your review. This step is to write down anything about the game that you thought should be improved on, or even on what you think should be added to the game in order to make it better, and what you think should be taken out because it really doesn't do anything for the game. Also, make sure to support why you think that way. This step is optional because you don't always find a game where you can add this step to. Also by now your comment should be very long or decently long, which both are still really good.

6) You have written everything that has needed to be written down so far, so what's after that? Okay, now this is a very helpful and important part of your review. The closing paragraph, or as I like to call the closing. There are multiple ways to start your closing. Some popular ones are: Overall, All in all, through and through, or in the end. Our favorite is "Overall," but that's just our opinion. In your closing you're just basically repeating yourself, but in a way shorter and different manner. A good example of one would be: Overall, I really enjoyed this game because both the concept and gameplay were both good and enjoyable. Also, the art and music just went really well with the game and they were good. Yes, it could be a little longer, but I was just providing a decent example for you guys.

CLOSING

Hopefully this guide really helps you in your journey into merits. Also, always keep in mind that you don't have to follow this guide exactly like this and your comment doesn't have to be in this format in order to get a merit. It's always better to be original and creative with your review. Once again, we hope this helps you guys and we really hope to see a lot more merit worthy comments around and a lot more merits getting earned.

HINTS

*) Obviously do all of the following because most moderators will not merit unless you use: proper capitalization, proper grammar, proper punctuation, and proper spelling.

*) Try to use big words in your review because it makes you sound smarter and it makes your comment better and smarter.

*) This is pretty optional. You could separate each step into an individual paragraphs because it does make your comment longer, but you have to make sure that you have enough information in each paragraph. You can't just have one small paragraph and then a huge paragraph.

*) When you are talking, make sure you know that you are talking to the creator/s of the game. Remember this.

*) Be polite and courteous. Don't say nasty things about the game. Just say that things need to be fixed in a nice and polite way.

Greg is adding this hint

*) DO NOT ask the mods to go look at a comment and merit it for you. This will upset them and you are more than likely not going to get a merit.

***********************************************************************************************

This next part is added in by yours truly: GregWeeler

***********************************************************************************************

COMMENT MERITS

These are a little harder to get. Actually I'm not even sure if one has ever been given out because Mods usually focus on games. But I will give a few tips about how you might be able to get them.

***If a new user needs help with something, explain to them in great detail how they can do that particular thing. Add links to sources that you might have gotten the information from and help them out to the best of your ability.

Note - This is not going to guarantee you that you will get a merit, but it may help.

DEBATE MERITS

Debate merits are probably the funnest to make although they can be very hard.

A debate is two users arguing out an issue under a controlled environment to see who can prove their point the best and maybe persuade the other person. A merit is given to the winner's best comment that secured the win. Thus giving you 25AP.

All the info you will need to challenge someone or get challenged by someone on a particular issue, can be found righ here.

Make sure you read the rules for debating though, and submit your challenge in the correct format.

*****This guide does not guarantee that you will get a merit, but it should increase your chances.

*****Also do not write for the sole purpose of getting a merit. If you are, you are looking at it the completely wrong way. The whole point of writing these are too help people out the best you can. Remember this and you will be on your way to merit success.

After reading this please check the links that are around in here. They are quite helpful.

• 99 Replies
Prim
Prim
43 posts
Nomad

That was part of your guide, wasn't it?

Prim
Prim
43 posts
Nomad

That was part of your guide, wasn't it?

Elastergirl
Elastergirl
79 posts
Nomad

Prim,please don't double post please!Only clcik Post Your Reply once!

Prim
Prim
43 posts
Nomad

Oops! Not another one! Sorry, I pressed Post Your Reply twice again because it was so slow for the first one.

Prim
Prim
43 posts
Nomad

Yes, I know, it just wouldn't load so I clicked it again but it wouldn't load so I refreshed and voila! Two copies of the same comment. Could you have a moderator delete one of them, plz?

Soho
Soho
131 posts
Nomad

Unrealtron, please leave longer comments and try not to spam. This is getting annoying. Also I really like the guide. Very well-written, helpful and very well organized.

jeffwak906
jeffwak906
237 posts
Shepherd

Great guide Greg, XCoheedX, and nick_coolhaha! It will help so many people to become great at commenting!

kingofgames
kingofgames
610 posts
Farmer

haha like ever does not help me, i dont even know where i got my 1 3 merits from, anyways i tried it 2 times after this and still NO MERIT more and believe me i know how to get a merit

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Ha ha thanks Greg I did have another way of doing it

*Before the Game
*About the game
*What you liked/disliked
*What you would change
*Overall

anailator23
anailator23
87 posts
Nomad

when do the mods go through the comments because i have written large reviews for Shift 3 and Bowja the Ninja 2 and still havn't gotten any merits

OctoberSnow
OctoberSnow
207 posts
Nomad

I think some examples of merit quality reviews would be nice. Maybe 1 or 2 for each different type?

trigger347
trigger347
33 posts
Peasant

when I received a Merit I dug around on the site to see what exactly it was and what it was for. this is a very detailed description and excellent explanation of them. Very informative and thanks for the detail.

cassus
cassus
42 posts
Shepherd

this guide is very helf and i will now use some of the points in my comments

cpy
cpy
16 posts
Nomad

Merit? So what is it? I dont get it.

seize_the_element
seize_the_element