ForumsThe TavernThe greatest nation in the world?

33 11334
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I'm trying to come to a conclusion of the greatest nation in the world, and I've come to 3 nations: 1.) The Celts-All throughout history they were great warriors, they had the strongest faith and wills, and are proud of their past.
2.) The Italians-Possibly the ultimate rulers of the Ancient world, and still thriving with culture and are credited with the support of almost any technology or art style (Music, language, architecture included) and combined with the celts, brought up the English nation which would soon lead to our nation, which is too mixed to consider it as one. 3.) And lastly, The Franks-They conquered all who opposed them and were the backbone of central European civilization. Now you may be angry I didn't mention the Koreans or Chinese, but please, give your opinions.

• 33 Replies
Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

Everyone who knows me is thinking right now, "I bet Clancy is going to post about Canada in Declan's thread". Well, you're right. Just give me a few hours first.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

What are we using for criteria? In the examples you gave, you seem to be ranking largely on historical achievement and culture that originated there.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Well, since it seems we're talking mostly history now..

Celts were indeed a strong people at some time; they even sacked Rome (after which Rome organised and got their revenge of course...). They were no high culture however like Egyptians, Greek or Mayans.

I would also suggest Mesopotamia, all those civilisations famed for being the source of western culture.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Denmark, it holds the title "happiest place in the world".

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Er... You're talking about civilizations and cultures, not countries...

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

'Murica - obvious reasons

Vatican - Youngest legal age for consent

Germany - Screw it, let's throw in our "dark hour" into there. Even with WWII..we helped medicinal research by a crap-ton.

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

I would agree with the German people. How they are still standing after WWI and WWII is a mystery to me.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I would also suggest Mesopotamia, all those civilisations famed for being the source of western culture.

This. Without Mesopotamia and similar ancient cultures (not countries!), we would never be where we are today.

To name a few cultures/countries/religions that haven't been mentioned yet: Greece, Islam, Russia, and nearly all of the ancient oriental culture. I understand that it's pretty general to say these but I'm going to anyway. :P
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Britain or at least it used to be look at the british empire in its full glory

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Gmix6QCSPCs/TnynNukoBnI/AAAAAAAACGE/lwlLScjIloY/s1600/British+Empire+map.gif

Now compare that to the size of britain the size to power ratio is immense.

Other ones to note are the romans macedonians, mongolians and the french which all had big empires.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

Vatican - Youngest legal age for consent

Quite the punchline.

But FYI, that is no longer the case. Since Pope Francis' Papacy, the legal age for consent has been raised from twelve to eighteen.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I'm talking about nations who have thrived all throughout time, with the best forms of government, additions to society and technology, and wealthy in economy and agriculture. Nations who have formed the cultures and countries of today. I forgot about Greece, they were definitely up there.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So you want to consider intertwining nations and cultures together? Would've been easier to say "What is the greatest group in the world" if you're going to ignore definitions and the limitations those definitions implicate.

But of course, it's all subjective.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

This. Without Mesopotamia and similar ancient cultures (not countries!), we would never be where we are today.

Technically everything that happened in the past got us to where we are today.

Anyway, Germany is holding up the Euro zone. China and Japan sell everything, China being cheap goods, Japan being technology. Middle East has oil. Africa is just sitting there, same with South and Central America, though Mexico is on the rise. And Australia just has balls. Australia is scary.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I'm not a history buff, but as far as conquering other nations, influence, and colonization consider:

The Roman Empire
France
Spain
Britain

The evidence of these nations conquest can be seen in by the number of people who speak their languages today. Although few people use Latin (if any), in daily speech, today you can see how many languages currently have routes in it.
Also, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers)

Spanish 2nd most spoken by native speakers
English 3rd most spoken by native speakers
French 18th most spoken by native speakers (consider though that the French language is spoken in France, Canada, and the Middle East some evidence of their colonization.)

As for the other countries on the list, Mandarin may rank higher than Spanish and English, and 15 languages (not counting Spanish and English) rank higher than French, but consider that those higher ranking languages are predominantly spoken only in one country. This somewhat indicates that the spread of these countries empires is not as vast as British, Spanish, and French.

I should make honourable mentions for China and Russia based on how vast they are.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Here are some images of these empires at there peaks (although I'm not 100% on the accuracy of the maps)

British Empire:
http://www.communicationandculture.co.uk/Britishempire%20map.jpg

French Empire:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/French_Empire_17th_century-20th_century.png/800px-French_Empire_17th_century-20th_century.png

Spanish Empire:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Spanish_Empire_Anachronous_en.svg/800px-Spanish_Empire_Anachronous_en.svg.png

Roman Empire:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Roman_Empire_Trajan_117AD.png/800px-Roman_Empire_Trajan_117AD.png

Showing 1-15 of 33