ForumsNews and FeedbackAnnoying prev/next links

27 16918
Frank_B
Frank_B
4 posts
Nomad

Why the heck have you put in links to prev/next games in the margins when we are playing a game? It is extremely annoying with all such irrelevant things on the screen. Show the game we are currently playing and nothing else.

• 27 Replies
ArcticRaptor
ArcticRaptor
1 posts
Farmer

Agreed. I'm finding it impossible to play some shooter games, I just keep on accidentally clicking the prev/next links. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't right next to the game. Very inconvenient.

Mike1Shari
Mike1Shari
8 posts
Nomad

What's with the monster truck background on Dawn and Clash of the Dragons, really lame, please stop the madness !

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

I am not sure why this feature is needed? I tried some of them and they have nothing to do with the current game? This is what tags are for, if you want a similar game click the tags and look at similar ones.

What's with the monster truck background on Dawn and Clash of the Dragons, really lame, please stop the madness !

Yeah i noticed this aswell, not only at that game but even now on the forums this appears for me.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Just checked it out..it wasn't in game margins for me? Link a game you have issues with it on please.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Previous/Next buttons are on every game, they show up after around 15 seconds of play. In no case that I've experienced, were they near my actual game window - but maybe you have very small windows? I'd love to see a screenshot if you could. They seem very unobtrusive to me.

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Mine are way outside the game window at the edge of screen. I don't think you could mis-click it so i didn't mind it really. The games for prev and next always same on a game. Normally i don't think they are related? What is the list for next and prev based on? For the random game thing?

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I'd figured really they tied together the newly introduced many sub-categories, that I'd offered some mild critique of before, and that I then reckoned they finally made some fairly good sense of, instead.

But I take it this isn't the case? Me, I find them an annoying distraction, then again knowing how us humans are conservative by nature & so tend to dislike whatever New and Unexpected things, I figure before we know we'll be used to them to the point where we won't even notice.

insanekun
insanekun
3 posts
Bard

I agree that the &quotrev/next links" are bothersome. In some games where you move the cursor around a lot, it's easy to accidentally click these &quotrev/next links".

I don't know if these links are misplaced for me, due to me having add-ons like NoScript and such, but the &quotrev/next links" are next to my game window. Like, RIGHT NEXT to it. So it's way too easy to accidentally click them, and have the whole page load away from my active game. I actually had to replay a level just now, because I accidentally clicked that godforsaken &quotrev/next link".

At least have it open up in a new tab, so our active game isn't affected!

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I don't know if these links are misplaced for me, due to me having add-ons like NoScript and such, but the &quotrev/next links" are next to my game window.

They're on the edge of my screen, and I have NoScript on and a bunch of stuff.

But whatever, I can see how it might interfere, since that is what is being reported on, right? Me, except for the visual distraction it really doesn't bother me. On an interesting sidenote: Clicking out of screen will otherwise cause your game to stop Thankfully many modern games seem to catch this, so indeed will stop; it used to be and not at all long ago you'd mostly go off-game, and by the time you frantically got back on to the proper screen, it'd usually be game over.
insanekun
insanekun
3 posts
Bard

On an interesting sidenote: Clicking out of screen will otherwise cause your game to stop

Yes, I am well aware of this. However, these &quotrev/next links" are right next to my game window, so when I "accidentally click outside the (game) screen, these are the first things I will (accidentally) click, and by doing so; it will load whatever game is on those links, and take me away from the active game I was playing. Then I will have to hit "back" on my browser, and reload my game... which will mean I have to replay whatever level I was on. Not fun at all. Please have these &quotrev/next links" open in a NEW TAB, so that I wont lose my active game, should I accidentally hit the &quotrev/next links".
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Please have these &quotrev/next links" open in a NEW TAB, so that I wont lose my active game, should I accidentally hit the &quotrev/next links".

Yes, I do recognize the problem. As an intermediate DIY solution, see if you can set your browser to open links in a new tab, rather than a new window. Off the top of my head, I don't think Internet Explorer (easily) allows for this; I know Firefox does. You can set the latter so that new tabs will open in the background, even, so you never get taken off-screen. It will still cause you some lag, of course...
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Wait...

it will load whatever game is on those links, and take me away from the active game I was playing. Then I will have to hit "back" on my browser, and reload my game...

I see, you mean they open in the same window, right? That would be, um, a botheration, as my Indian pals would call it

Not sure if this can be adjusted at your browser's end; quite possibly not. Anyone?

Ferret, admins/mods, can they indeed be set to open in a new tab, server-side?
insanekun
insanekun
3 posts
Bard

Thanks for trying to help.

Well, I use Firefox and a PC. I'm quite sure I've set everything to open links in new tabs, but as I wrote these &quotrev/next links" still open in the same window (taking me away from my active game).

Anyway, I just wanted to add my opinion about the &quotrev/next links" feature, and I personally don't care whether they are there or not visually; as long as they do not interfere with my gaming experience when I accidentally click them (which they currently do). :/

Metso
Metso
1 posts
Peasant

Yep these are annoying as hell. Make them optional, open in a new tab or an "are you sure" message when you click them please. Also they are pretty useless anyway imo. Just my 2 cents.

Morbain
Morbain
1 posts
Jester

I have a firefox addon called Remove it Permanently. I can after a few click remove the links on my screen as long as I remember to do it.

Showing 1-15 of 27