ForumsGamesLegend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds

22 21189
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

On Friday, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was released. I purchased it late in the evening and have just now completed it.

Sadly, I have not yet played LoZ: A Link To The Past. This game takes place in the same world and is supposed to be a nostalgic trip for those who have. But you don't need to play A Link To The Past to enjoy this game.

LBW follows the basic LoZ formula. You play as a chap in green clothes fighting his way through numerous dungeons collecting important items to defeat the final baddie. Unlike most other LoZ games, most of the dungeons can be completed in whichever order you want - which is reminiscent to the original LoZ game released for the NES.

While playing LBW, you might feel like Nintendo is going overboard with coin collecting - or in this case, rupee gathering. You'll find yourself gathering hundreds of rupees between quests. But, unlike most other LoZ games, those rupees won't be gathering dust in your pocket. For the first time while playing Legend of Zelda, rupees actually played a pretty big role in the game. I actually found myself short on rupees numerous times. But, being short on rupees isn't a problem - as you can progress without spending a single one if you really wanted to (as far as I'm aware).

Lastly, there's the ending. It's good.

So who else bought this game? How much did you enjoy it?

• 22 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Btw, does anyone else wanna see a female link? (it'd be interesting)

havnt seen one but im 100% sure it already happened (not kidding).

oh now that i think about it the person who acts link in the first zelda japanese commercial looks like a girl to me (or a really feminine looking guy...)

anyway, i got the game 3 days ago, finished it yesterday. i thought it was very zelda-ish and i was really happy to find out the 2d (you know... looking from above) old zelda style wasnt lost. merging into walls became very natural and there werent many secrets that needed you to overly think of using that ability.

the secrets were also really easy to find for some reason... i cant explain it but i almost got all items. what annoys me is that you dont have to get the pegasus boots in order to beat the game, which caused me to not bother looking for it because i thought id get it eventually. so i didnt get them or all the secrets that involve them yet i know where they are all located.

its a very nice game. not as big as the others but i really recommend it.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

anyway, i got the game 3 days ago, finished it yesterday. i thought it was very zelda-ish and i was really happy to find out the 2d (you know... looking from above) old zelda style wasnt lost. merging into walls became very natural and there werent many secrets that needed you to overly think of using that ability.

I didn't think I was the only one who felt this way. : )

the secrets were also really easy to find for some reason... i cant explain it but i almost got all items. what annoys me is that you dont have to get the pegasus boots in order to beat the game, which caused me to not bother looking for it because i thought id get it eventually.

I'm glad it was fairly easy finding everything, because most of what you searched for were baby maiamais. All of them can be found in the overworld or one of the minor tunnels from the overworld, which is convenient.

I got the boots fairly early in the game, but I didn't know what items I would and would not need.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

I'm glad it was fairly easy finding everything, because most of what you searched for were baby maiamais. All of them can be found in the overworld or one of the minor tunnels from the overworld, which is convenient.

actually that kind of disapointed me. im not that much into beating games 100% so i didnt care much for that. on the other hand i just love finding a new hidden secret, hidden tunnel etc. there werent many hidden awsome secrets in this game.

I got the boots fairly early in the game, but I didn't know what items I would and would not need.

i immidiatly guessed that the boots existed in this game as soon as i saw a maiamai on a tree. but idk.... for some reason i just didnt think that you have to get them in that way in the game. if i remember correctly in a link to the past you got them and THEN talked to the guy. so i thought it was a reference.

and about what items i need.... i couldnt care less. renting the items was extremely cheap so it never happened to me that i needed an item i didnt have. i also only died about 3 times. that part actually kind of disapointed me. i always liked in older games how most dungeons are based around a specific item you get in THAT dungeon and how usually the dungeons became more and more difficult.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I'm sure there are many characters from other games I don't recognize in A Link Between Worlds, but I got a kick out of who runs the Milk Bar in both worlds.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'm still a bit confused as to what you mean by "add much to the games". I don't see how any addition would add onto past games that were already released. >.>

I just feel it might be more of a gimmick than anything.

Then again, I'm just being really skeptical =p
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I just feel it might be more of a gimmick than anything.

Then again, I'm just being really skeptical =p

Well, yes, it is a gimmick. But, it's a gimmick that works pretty well. It wasn't poorly executed by any means, unlike other gimmicks such as motion controls on the Wii. >.>

If you ever do play the game, let me know what you think!
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Well, yes, it is a gimmick. But, it's a gimmick that works pretty well. It wasn't poorly executed by any means, unlike other gimmicks such as motion controls on the Wii. >.>

I think SS's motion control was the best aspect of it.

~~~Darth Caedus
Showing 16-22 of 22