ForumsProgramming ForumBeta test Sal's game

26 22129
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Hey guys,

I've been somewhat absent these past weeks, haven't I? The reason being: I'm working on a Java game! I got all the basic features built and ready to run and they seem to work. Or, at least, they work for me. But before I start creating more actual game content, I need you guys to try it out so I can see what you think. I'm looking for Beta testers to give their opinions and to see if they run across any weird problems. It'll help me a lot in the long run, and hopefully you guys will get some sort of enjoyment out of it.

Before I hand out download links, I have to say a few things.

What type/format is this game?

The game is a Java game. This means that it was developed in the computer language Java. Java games, once finished, are deployed in an applet to wherever they're supposed to go, whether it be a web page or whatever else. But as my game isn't quite finished, you'll have to take a few extra steps to play it.

So how do I go about playing it?

Before the game is deployed, you'll be downloading a small version of the game onto your computer. Once there, you'll need to download a JDK and some sort of program that allows you to compile and execute the game, such as BlueJ or Eclipse. I personally use BlueJ.

OK Sal, enough crap. How do I Beta test your game?

1. Download the Java game file: (Called AnthillJAR)
2. Download and install a JDK: (Scroll down)
3. Download and install BlueJ:
4. Open BlueJ.
5. In BlueJ, go to Project to Open Project...
6. Find where you saved the AnthillJAR file and open it.
7. In the BlueJ window, locate the box that has the title "World_EXECUTE_THIS_CLASS" and right-click on it. Left-click on void main(String[] args) and the game should run. Everything afterwards can be found in-game.

If you have any questions, ask! I tried to keep this simple. Feel free to share any of your opinions or problems. Also please keep in mind that this version is still pretty rough; there isn't much there. I'll do my best to update it frequently.

Cheers!

• 26 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

hey wait a minute this isn't the game you were working on...

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

The game is hardly past the content-oriented development stage by any means. I could really turn it into anything. Even, yes, the Salvidious Game. But yeah, tell me if you want me to do that. I'm your corporate slave.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

This game is awesome. Minor glitches but is actually funny and enjoyable overall. I like how it's like a quiz in some areas.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Thanks Mino.

I just updated the game. It now supports universal adaptability for all Windows users, which means as long as BlueJ and the JDK function on your computer, the game will function as well. I also fixed a minor issue in the cookie/saving/loading systems which caused problems for some users. If you try it now, the game should successfully remember your name and player information every time you go to play.

If you currently have an outdated version, all you have to do is click the link in the opening post and the newest version will be there. No more searching for the latest version!

If you don't have any versions at all, hurry up and get one! :P

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I've done some monkeying around with how the file operates. Fortunately, I've been able to allow the file to run as an executable. This means that now you won't need to download a JDK or BlueJ! All you have to do is click the download link in the opening post, and open the file that downloads. This should save a lot of time in the future.

gamerguy12345
gamerguy12345
2,851 posts
Bard

Pretty cool so far. Can't wait to see the full game. Found some minor bugs but I'm sure you'll get them fixed.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

You can beat the game using nothing but nonsense inputs. Same if you continually check your status (or the help) and nothing else.

You might need to rethink how it reacts to inputs while the actual "game" part is running.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

I'd recommend getting a free wordpress site, get a some plugin to let you put a java game on it, and then just link people there⦠Cus right now that's a lot to download for 1 game.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

@KentyBK
Yeah, I'm going to work on that issue today. Thanks for letting me know.

@mightybob
To do that I'd have to create an applet which is a headache. And, if you go back and read my last post, you'll see that the extra software isn't required anymore.

@Gamer
Thanks! Yeah, there are a few bugs left to fix before I move on.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It isn't related, but that @person linking thing is cool. Didn't know it was there.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

I felt that the game was quaint, and humorous.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Thanks weirdlike. ^_^

I just updated again. Latest version contains a boatload of fixes of all sorts. The most prominent bug fixed was the one KentyBK pointed out.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Just beta tested it... and I like it. Only problem is that text can sometimes get a bit cluttered, but other than that small little thing, it's coming along nicely. =P

TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

I don't know if I did it right, but it opened in the command prompt thing.

Which made it a bit hard to read and stuff, but I expect you'll change that later on, if you continue working on this.

Great game, you say I'd do good as a cross country trucker? Always wanted to be a trucker.

The enemy name thing should be fixed though. I pressed 'n' the second time it asked for an enemy name. Maybe it has to be capitalized and at minimum 2 letters or something.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

While attempting to install the game, I get this message:

This program is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer

It's probably one of my anti-virus softwares, but it doesn't allow me to disregard the warning.
Showing 1-15 of 26