ForumsWEPRWhat news outlets do you use, and why?

10 5297
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I was wondering how, in the internet age, how people get their news coverage and why they trust that source.

I get my television, radio and internet news from the BBC because it's convenient and in theory should be free from bias. It also has to condense news down to a simple form everyone can understand, so I don't have to concentrate very hard when I listen to it. (With the exception of BBC radio 4 which is slightly more intellectual)

Printed newspapers in the UK are mostly pretty bad, as most are either populist Tabloids or hold extreme political views, or both. There, are a couple, however, which I like. The independent is a national newspaper that has a classical liberal, pro-market, stance, but has columnists from across the political spectrum. There is also it's sister paper, the i which is the same, but cheaper and more concise.

• 10 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

BBC is my favourite, apart from my local news outlets. I use The Independent as well, Huffington Post, The Economist, TIME, Newsweek, etc. Come to think of it, I use an app to compile news from quite a number of outlets, so it's quite the spread.

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

I use the Sky app on my phone mostly which I can watch live news coverage on and is always updated, I never have time to just sit down and watch the news so it's good when I'm on the move. On weekends I read The Times and The Mail, I'm not really interested in financial stuff though.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

BBC is my favourite, apart from my local news outlets. I use The Independent as well, Huffington Post, The Economist, TIME, Newsweek, etc. Come to think of it, I use an app to compile news from quite a number of outlets, so it's quite the spread.

That's particularly, at least how I view it, how people should treat their news gathering, just so you don't miss any details, or that you don't get suckered into any bias an outlet might seep out. Ack at Huffington Post though. I've heard nasty things about how they get their views.

I try not to watch or read any miscellaneous news articles, but when there's something big, I go for C-SPAN, who just shows you what's happening without any insider commentary. I think the aim is so you can form your own perspectives on the situation.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

That's particularly, at least how I view it, how people should treat their news gathering, just so you don't miss any details, or that you don't get suckered into any bias an outlet might seep out. Ack at Huffington Post though. I've heard nasty things about how they get their views.

No no, the app is set by my own settings, i.e, it doesn't have a political bias. I have Fox on it, Wall Street Journal, Al-Jazeera, a mix. All news outlets have in one way or another a nasty streak to them; journalism is not a career for saints.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Just dropping a handy link, perhaps: Thousands of Newspapers on the Web.

That doesn't answer what I use, and why. Difficult to catch in a few words, I guess Maybe it does support my feeling that the written (/printed) media shouldn't be overlooked, these days. Dumbing themselves down, by and large, in a bid to keep up with the web's instantaneousness though I may otherwise feel they are.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

ign for gaming
yahoo for news, i dont watch tv its a waste of money to pay for cable

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I don't have a TV.
I have email hosted by Comcast, so I guess I use Comcast and their news blips.... other than that mostly radio.

~~Black~~

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I'm a little disappointed with myself for never mentioning The Onion, really.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I don't normally watch the news. it's just another distractor from medical school nowadaysâ¦. but when I'm at home my family used to watch everything we hadâ¦. Now we find ourselves drawn more and more to FOX news. It's not that we're drawn to it based completely off of our opinions or anything⦠it's just that after the whole Trayvvon Martin / George Zimmerman thing Fox was one of the few at the time that I could watch and not have yelling at me telling me how bad I am because I'm white just because I'm white. It sounds ridiculous, but it's true. There were quite a few Afrocan Americans saying things like that on some of the other news station panels. Plus, more often than FOX I've seen some of the other news stations arguing over things like stand your ground law and how terrible it was when it was used in the GZ/TM case when it really played no part at all whatsoever. People say that FOX makes a lot of stupid comments and make fun of it, but they're definitely not the only news stations spewing out the hurt durrâ¦

So, I guess I watch them (only if that's what my family has turned on) because their particular brand of hurr durr doesn't normally get targeted at me.

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

I use mostly local news sources.
Mostly because other news sources just "dont get it". Forget about bad translating and reporters who dont gets what realy going on.
Plus, forgien reporters twnd to get over excited about things i find trivial. If i whould be angry about anything my minister for forgein affairs say, i whould blow up already.

Showing 1-10 of 10