ForumsNews and FeedbackSpam Bots

36 51219
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I don't know if there was a system to catch these, but over the last couple days there has been an inappropriate amount of these things.
They just pop up I think in the programming forum repeatedly, but I may be wrong about that.

I have told ferret about the first one, and someone had already dealt with it. It happened yesterday and again today. Mod Moegreche is aware of this and today I also told Moderator Reton8.

I fear this will become worse.... Is there anyway to IP ban them or get the news out to people, because frankly it had 36 views and thank god no one posted, but maybe that is to small of a number, but is there a way we can get theses to stop or be reported faster? I think we need to stop this Spam bot raid. Can we is the question?

• 36 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

From what I've seen, these spam threads all have multiple links. If any thread with, lets say 3 or more external links in the opening post were automatically relocated to a hidden "quarantine forum" of some kind, it would prevent naive users from being roped in and clear the regular forums of excess clutter. Would this be feasible?

Not sure, some of the WERPers who use more than 3 links constantly (And there are quite a few) could run into a little spot of trouble there.
devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

Not sure, some of the WERPers who use more than 3 links constantly (And here are quite a few) could run into a little spot of trouble there.

We could use it for few forums like Newcomers Forum,The tavern,Art music and writing etc.This would minimise the amount of spam threads.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

We could use it for few forums like Newcomers Forum,The tavern,Art music and writing etc.This would minimise the amount of spam threads.

Severely limits and hampers our posting. If they can't spam in one section, they'll do it in another anyway.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Not sure, some of the WERPers who use more than 3 links constantly (And here are quite a few) could run into a little spot of trouble there.

Obviously, there needs to be some defining line by which we can weed the spam out. [hypothetical] In a situation where someone uses 3+ external links in the opening post as part of a valid topic's introduction, that thread would be kept in a separate forum from which mods can fish it out at their leisure, unless it looks spammy to them, of course [/hypothetical].
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

don't cap the limits on link posting, what if they learn and decide to post less links instead? The WERP section uses links for backing up your post or for references.

I think the best thing to do is have a limit before you can post. 3 or 5 days after account is made before you can, This won't effect any of us, the new players can play games still but not post. Or if they can post, have their posts needing approval before it is published.

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

And apporaval will require manpower...

Well a problem won't be magically resolved without some work. This will allow those, that are here for the forums to still post. I am sure 3 days when you just made account you can put up with approval. If anything i went to a forums and this was in place, then i know that it is moderated and decent people here. So it shows that they care what is posted.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

don't cap the limits on link posting, what if they learn and decide to post less links instead? The WERP section uses links for backing up your post or for references.

You're treating it like a universal limit. This only relates to the opening post.

I think the best thing to do is have a limit before you can post. 3 or 5 days after account is made before you can, This won't effect any of us, the new players can play games still but not post. Or if they can post, have their posts needing approval before it is published.

This should work for a short while. It would only be a solution if the spambots can be recognized during the wait period. Otherwise, they'll likely be set up with several accounts and start spamming as soon as the block is lifted.
pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

So arguement is sitill in place... needs manpower, that could end up in need more mods... and thats not as easy as it sounds.

Not sure how many posts there will be to review and the total work load. To many mods is not a good idea i am aware.

Thats an assumption, you will surely find people who will accept it, and you will surely find people who will not, so @Deviodless statement is still working "how many people would we loose?"

As i have no info to base anything on so assumptions is all i can go by.

Counter-proposal to the idea. Only the very first post from a new account is moderated for approval. If that new account has posted something other than spam then, let them post freely?

This will decrease the workload hugely and should avoid the issue of anyone not wanting to stay because of post approval.
dav123
dav123
105 posts
Jester

Spam bots? I haven't seen or heard about them in the past year... They sound evil and cruel. By the way, where do the spambots spam links or whatever they do.
GO GET EM KNIGHTS!

dav123
dav123
105 posts
Jester

Well the problem is solved good job awesome AG knights (and some mods and admins)

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Spam bots? I haven't seen or heard about them in the past year... They sound evil and cruel. By the way, where do the spambots spam links or whatever they do.

In the forums or on peoples profiles.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I think we should try to establish some kind of middle ground here. Before anyone passes judgement, I would like to address the fact that at least one bot programmer has been reading this thread (yes, you Mr/Ms iPhone AT&T advertizing person). I'll start with some advice.

SOME ADVICE:
Obviously, the Support Forum is not a place for ads of any kind, and any inappropriate threads made there must be dealt with swiftly. In general, any new thread or post which does not clearly relate to the parent forum or thread is inherently unwanted and uninteresting. If you really want to bring traffic your site, you've got a terrible way of doing it.
I would also like to point out that making half a dozen identical threads is not a good way to promote a product, site, or service. All it tells us is that you have nothing worthwile to say and that you know it.

What other constructive advice can we give these people, assuming there are some actual people at the helm?

pft
pft
576 posts
Grand Duke

Obviously, the Support Forum is not a place for ads of any kind, and any inappropriate threads made there must be dealt with swiftly. In general, any new thread or post which does not clearly relate to the parent forum or thread is inherently unwanted and uninteresting. If you really want to bring traffic your site, you've got a terrible way of doing it.
I would also like to point out that making half a dozen identical threads is not a good way to promote a product, site, or service. All it tells us is that you have nothing worthwile to say and that you know it.

What other constructive advice can we give these people, assuming there are some actual people at the helm?

I doubt these *people* even read the forums. There is no places for ads in the forums. Links should only be used for information, helping others and anything game related.

.Ads where there is no reason for it being there and promotions of your own site for profit is completely not allowed. For all we know these links, which i have never click on could be a virus or some sort of marco and auto-trackers. These can steal information from people.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Generally speaking, they're really called bots for a reason.

devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

Severely limits and hampers our posting. If they can't spam in one section, they'll do it in another anyway.

How many spam threads can be posted in 1 section?It will be easier to delete them anyway.

Showing 16-30 of 36