ForumsWEPRThe studies to prove/disprove a god's existence

71 29521
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Alright, after a long time off of this wonderful sight, I decided to come back on and pose a question from a different debate I'm participating in.

I would like to ask: Is/Are there any studies, experiments or otherwise known physical laws, mathematical formulas or the like which explicitly prohibit and exclude the existence of a god (which one is not important for this question) or explicitly prohibit all things in existence being the result of a god?

this is the quote from one of the theists on the thread. so the question is: does any formula or theory disprove/prove a god in any way?
  • 71 Replies
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

A group of atheists that hate Christians gather together and are determined to disprove God's existence. They kneel and pray. Afterwards one of them says "I didn't hear God speak back to us! He must not exist!" "Yeah!" "That means God doesn't exist!". "Now I'm not going to listen to Christians who say that God exists!" "I'm covering my ears!" "Blah, blah, blah, I won't listen to you! "Waaahhh!"

In my experience, that's generally how atheists solve their "God problems"

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

While it may show to be theoretically impossible to disprove a vaguely defined, if at all, concept (like "deity&quot, it is certainly easy to address the existence of an object that has clear properties, or a person that has been reported to do very specific acts.

What problem
Anyway, yes, this is a silly way to do it. The experience is never finished until you actually feel/hear god, or whatever is supposed to happen. Until that time of course you can safely say that you have personally no reason to adhere to such a belief, but there are several reasons you have not been contacted by a god, its inexistence being only one; so you cannot use that as absolute proof.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

A group of atheists that hate Christians [...]

Why do we never hear stories of ordinary atheists? Are there just too many to group together in one place?

[...] They kneel and pray. [...]

To what? For what purpose?

[...] "I didn't hear God speak back to us! He must not exist!" "Yeah!" "That means God doesn't exist!". "Now I'm not going to listen to Christians who say that God exists!" [...]

Is this coming from multiple people, or is the guy talking to kimself? Nobody's starting a debate or arguing semantics or doing any of the things we expect atheists to do when someone else makes a point, so I'll have to assume the latter and that nobody else hears him.

"I'm covering my ears!" "Blah, blah, blah, I won't listen to you! "Waaahhh!"

Huh? Where did the creationist come from? Did you do a scene change without telling anyone?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

A group of atheists that hate Christians gather together and are determined to disprove God's existence. They kneel and pray.

hahahahaha xD
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Yeah, that's f---ing hilarious now that I look back on it.

Also, both sides rarely listen to the voice of reason.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Also, both sides rarely listen to the voice of reason.

And what do you consider to be the voice of reason?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Nice Strawman you made there. Have anymore?

BANG! I got you!
I consider myself to be the voice of reason
;D

And yet you make pitiful strawmen.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

@themastaplaya

In the two times I've been "graced" with your presence, you have shown me that you are about as informed on the issue as I would expect a creationist of your age (16?). I deconverted at that age because there is no logic behind organized religion.

The only things I could possibly think of that could strike against a god are the laws of thermodynamics, mainly the first and second when dealing with the "eternal" nature of a god.

-Blade

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

BANG! I got you!
I consider myself to be the voice of reason
;D

I would prefer a serious answer to my question.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I consider the voice of reason to be true Christianity, I do not heed the pseudo-science of evolution. In case you can't already tell, I don't have any respect for evolution. FYI: I also consider many other false forms of Christianity to be unworthy of respect. These false forms include Catholicism, Santeria, Lutheranism, etc...

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I consider the voice of reason to be true Christianity, I do not heed the pseudo-science of evolution.

Please learn what pseudoscience is before using the term. A scientific theory, even a wrong one, cannot qualify. Traditional Chinese medicine and Freudian psychoanalysis are pseudoscience. Origin of species is not.

FYI: I also consider many other false forms of Christianity to be unworthy of respect.

So you're saying that yours is the only respectable false form?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

I consider the voice of reason to be true Christianity

Which version is that?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I consider the voice of reason to be true Christianity,

Why? And what is "true Christianity"?

I do not heed the pseudo-science of evolution

It isn't pseudoscience.

I don't have any respect for evolution.

I'm guessing you never take shots?
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

It isn't pseudoscience.

I like their "science vs faith" flowchart. Very accurate and concise.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Which version is that?

I would like to know this as well. What denomination do you consider to be "true Christianity"? Also how is believing something without or even against the evidence a reasonable position?

You and your holding on to your asinine beliefs that you had brainwashed into you in public school.

Actually I'm almost entirely self taught.

I would be happy to get into the topic of evolution with you further, but that isn't really what this thread is about. If you like we can create a new topic on the subject or discuss it in the more general theist vs. atheist thread.
Showing 16-30 of 71