ForumsArt, Music, and WritingStory Contest

44 18162
kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

Hey everybody! I'm going to start a story competition!

I'll post a category, and you have a week to write stories in that category. At the end of the week I'll read your stories and decide whose is the best. I will also provide feedback on each story. Here are the rules:

1. You cannot use inappropriate content or swear words. If you do, you will have NO chance of winning, no matter how good your story is.
2. No plagiarism! Make up your own characters and settings! Plagiarized stories will not win.
3. No blood and gore. I don't want any graphic stories that have too much description. Saying like 'she was bleeding' or 'blood dripped from the wound' is all right, I suppose, but don't go into the gory areas. And do not have carnage! Bloody and gory stories will not be chosen.
4. Try to have good grammar and spelling. If your story is spelled well and if it has fewer grammatical errors, it slightly increases your chances.
5. Try not to make your story super long.
6. No stories where everybody is killed!
7. Have fun with your story and let your creativity shine!

This week's category is:
Magic
Write stories where mages and wizards abound!

• 44 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Any reason for rules 1 and 3? Seem quite restrictive for a person's creative freedom...as I assume the answer surmounts to "I don't like it"

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

i will tell that rule 6 is the same has the rule 3 but im agree with pang if youre creative you can create wahtever story you can

kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

Well, pangtongshu, I am a Christian, as you will see if you go to my profile, and inappropriateness and swear words, in my family, just are not okay. And I would not advocate them by choosing a story with inappropriateness and swear words as a winning story. It's the same with blood and gore. I don't mean to restrict creative freedom, but I also don't want to advocate things that, in my family, aren't okay.
I don't mean to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if I have, but I can't change the rules.

kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

And, minecraftsniper, I can understand how they seem the same, but they really aren't, because in a story everyone can be killed but not have it be gory. Also a story can be gory without everyone being killed. I just would not like either element, because of my Christianity.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Any reason for rules 1 and 3?

To an extent, gory descriptions and explicit depictions are against the site rules, and you can use less "expressive" words as interjections (darn, crap, shoot), but we'll know what you meant.

I don't mean to restrict creative freedom, but I also don't want to advocate things that, in my family, aren't okay.

I'd assume that advocating murder of any magnitude isn't okay. Why does it only count against the author if "everyone is killed"?

I just would not like either element, because of my Christianity.

I don't see how a story where everyone dies conflicts with that, considering that there are plenty of biblical stories involving mass death. For example, Samson committing suicide while killing thousands around him. If a story was written here paralleling that event, why would it not count?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Adding to what has been said, this is a PG-13, not G. I don't believe you can filter out gore and swears very fairly because they can very much be used in good taste.

kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

I just would not like either element, because of my Christianity.

I don't see how a story where everyone dies conflicts with that, considering that there are plenty of biblical stories involving mass death. For example, Samson committing suicide while killing thousands around him. If a story was written here paralleling that event, why would it not count?

EmperorPalpatine, you're right! I didn't think of that, thanks for putting it in that perspective! And, you are right about the murder thing... I didn't think of that either. I'm not that good at thinking of everything. Rule 6 can be abolished, but I'd prefer it if not everyone was killed.

And Salvidian, I already explained that, and EmperorPalpatine also said this:
To an extent, gory descriptions and explicit depictions are against the site rules, and you can use less "expressive" words as interjections (darn, crap, shoot), but we'll know what you meant.

Rules 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 still stand!

And rule 7 isn't really a rule, but whatever.
Also, I don't mean to be rude or anything, and I'm sorry if I am, it's hard for me to tell, but could people start posting entries for the contest instead of just complaints and things like that?

Thanks!
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Your values don't dictate whether a story is good or not. =|

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Anyway, my entry.

As the curtains pulled up the valiant steeds raced out with the magnificent knights on back, the lion's den on the opposing door rattled creakily open. The loose sandstone blew all about the place as the two factions drew closer and closer. After some time, and much bloodshed, there but two factors remained: a blue soldier sin horse and a great tiger. The tiger leaped forward as the knight fell to the ground crying. Within a few seconds its entire body was gone, leaving nothing but a grotesque pile of bones. It was at this time when the bell rang, and a tiny man ran out of the lion's den with a stick in a hand. He took the stick and ate it, and instantly the bones vanished. The blood was cleaned, the audience was switched, and sun had gone to moon. And once again, the door to the lion's den began creaking as the horses ran out...

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Ah religious reasons...I feel ya. Well just to let you know..very rarely do people in AMW actually put such content within their works..so you shouldn't find it to be such a big issue.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Yes, for the most part we pretty much avoid extreme gore and swearing. It is a little odd for us to see someone create a criteria like that though.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I'd rather everyone just, you know, stick to making with the stories instead of making grief with the OP's rules. Individual threads can have "rules", but they can't trump the site's rules. So play along and give respect.

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

I know youre a chirstan ( dont know how to tell it in english) i am too but gore and those things are ok also its true that using Very bad words are against rules but knowing that all should not tell them

kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

You guys all have good points, especially you, MattEmAngel. I just have a few things to say.

I don't believe magic is good. I can tolerate it, and I even tend to like stories with wizards and such. I don't promote black magic at all(unless it's black like black holes, dark matter, get it?). I don't mean to promote it. I just won't play with it, dabble with witchcraft and spirits and stuff like that. I hope that makes my reasons clear enough.

And blood can be all right, but gore... I don't know. Long story short, lots of blood and any amount of gore makes me feel ill. And... can I say... I don't know if blood and gore are the same thing, but blood strikes me as blood, and gore strikes me as organs and things like that.

And can I ask... I don't know what AMW means, or OP for that matter. Can somebody tell me?

kylefitch1
kylefitch1
100 posts
Jester

blk2860, you have been entered.
Salvidian, you have also been entered... there's just one thing I don't understand... do you mean the man ate the stick, or the lion?

Showing 1-15 of 44