ForumsThe TavernVirtues & Vices

4 2467
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill

Oh well, sad for him. I found one of those quotes in one of my English essays as I was clearing them up, so I figured I'd make a thread out of it!

So, which virtue do you value the most? And conversely, which vice/ negative trait do you detest with every fibre in your being?

I value honesty mostly above all. I cannot stand underhanded tactics, behind your back gossip, and hypocritical sweet words; for me, trust is the most basic building block of any human relationship, and I appreciate if you were truthful to my face, rather than try and sooth my feelings. I abhor phony and spurious people! I also value a degree of humility, loyalty and kindness, though amongst the three I cannot see which I admire most. You could say I'm pretty down to earth?

Also, the ''vice'', or maleficence I am most against, would likely be an uncaring heart. I also do not appreciate overly ambitious people who tend to place their selves over others. Though of course these aren't really vices. :P

• 4 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Based on the quote, I thought you might ask which virtues we might dislike and which vices we admire - e.g. the vice of being overly-confrontational is one that I sort of wish I had.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Oh....nahhhh, I merely used it because of my room clear out. But yeah, you could do that to!

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Greatest virtue: Intelligence. (It makes humanity)
Greatest vice: Arrogance. (It ruins humanity)

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

One's ability to make others comfortable is probably the highest-priority in my rather short list of desired traits. Aside from that I enjoy those who give strong deliveries, are personable and who try and understand things. To be frank, my list is probably so short that I don't really value honesty as much as most others do. It may be because I'm apathetic towards the sort, so long as it's done in goodness.

As for vices, nothing is coming to mind. I don't think I dislike many traits.

Showing 1-4 of 4