ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] Disqus Comments

220 146288
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all!

We're going to be moving all our game comments, profile comments, MMO comments and editorial comments over to Disqus as early as this Friday. Because of this, I wanted to give you a FAQ to help solve any mysteries on the process...

What about Merits?

Merits will not live on our website in the same way, they can't be tied directly into the Disqus system which means they will no longer be comment-based. A simple Merit system will be created on our launch Friday that will grow more robust with time - allowing moderators/admins to merit people directly. Later e-mail notifications will be added to this as well.

You can also "Feature" a comment in Disqus, so that could also be awarded with your merit.

What about non-AG armatars?

A big concession we had to make with the Disqus system is that a Disqus account trumps our normal user accounts. This means users can name themselves whatever they like, and associate any armatar they like to their profile.

There will be alterations in our rules that discuss impersonation of other users, especially Moderators/Admins that will result in permanent bans. Also utilizing any exclusive armatars will result in a warning and possible further punishment.

Guest Accounts?

Guest accounts will be killed on site, and your real account warned. Guest accounts are not allowed on our Disqus comments.

Colored text for Knights/Admins/Moderators?

Not available right now in Disqus. You'll notice our accounts have "Moderator" next to our names. This text may change, but it means that person has moderator powers over Disqus comments.

What about total comment count?

This should be worked on before launch as well, nobody should lose their comment counts, just add on to their total.

What about old comments?

Still unknown the degree we'll be transferring over old comments. I'd love to hear your opinions though. This obviously is very tedious work, but I think me and @boppins agree that certain games (or comments) should make it over.

If you have any more questions let me know below.

• 220 Replies
TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

Uh hey so there was some changes I guess in the setup. Those are okay.

My issue (right now) is the fact that it's not technically AG. I use a public computer, on which social network sites are blocked, and Disqus appears to be considered a social network site.
Is there a way to like, implant to code into AG, so it's not blocked? I'm fairly sure at least a few other people use school/library computers, or maybe I'm the only one.
Whichever, I won't be able to respond to any comments on my account until something's fixed, or if unable to be fixed, I'll just disable comments.

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

Disqus does have a bad word filter system, but it may not immediately block your comment. If you use a bad word, it may look like you posted, but instead it went into an approval queue..

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I'm not seeing this myself. Anybody else having this issue? :/

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I looked it up and this is what shows up for me:

xXxDAPRO89xXx blk2860 ⢠a day ago
Okay, I'll try to make sense of it.

blk2860 xXxDAPRO89xXx ⢠17 hours ago
You haven't posted yet.

xXxDAPRO89xXx blk2860 ⢠13 hours ago
Making sense of it is hard lol

Shows up as it should? =)
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

@boppins
I'm seeing the swears in other's comments.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Uh, was there a point to doing away with the perfectly good system we had in place before? This new system is irritating and has been causing many users nothing but problems.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

This new system is irritating and has been causing many users nothing but problems.

It's irritating because it's not completely finished. Once the system has reached its completed stage, said users should find it much less irritating.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@themastaplaya Could you list these problems?

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

So have some of our old comments been integrated into the system? I'm pretty sure my post count went up a little, and when I click on the "Armor Games" tab next to comments it shows all the old old users with loads of comments. Also, on Firetail's profile he had loads of old comments.

Did you guys do this?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

They are being integrated.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Could you list these problems?

Sure, here are some:

-no way to delete older comments/comment chain doesn't cut off after a certain point. This make ones comments very bloated and increasingly lengthy

-comment count is longer displayed next to forum post count and merit count

-comments load externally with disqus instead of being part of your page

-disqus doesn't work with web browser EI 10

-I personally dislike the upvote/downvote system. I feel that this empowers trolls/flamers to hurt someone by downvoting every comment that their target posts.

Those are the main problems that I have with this new system.

/// Mastaplaya
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

They are being integrated.

Okay. So are they gonna be hooked up to the comment counter on our AG profile or only to disqus?

Also, is disqus pronounced discuss? My brother said it like that and it makes more sense than the "disk iss" way that I used to think of it.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

comment chain doesn't cut off after a certain point.

It doesn't look like it does now because most of our pages have not yet been converted and we only have the comments on our page from after the system was released, but at a certain point, such as in the case of @firetail_madness or someone else who has more than a set number of comments, it will say "Load more comments" at the bottom of the page, and will continue to do so at every set interval.

I'm not entirely sure if that's what you meant, but at a certain point, comments do get cut off so that the page doesn't go on for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles.

Again, it's not completely finished, so not all legacy comments have been converted to Disqus comments, and Disqus comments do not yet filter into comment count, but both of those things are projected to happen very soon.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

-no way to delete older comments/comment chain doesn't cut off after a certain point. This make ones comments very bloated and increasingly lengthy

I'm not quite sure what you mean, chaining is a part of Disqus - some see it as a feature, not a problem. We're talking about widening the size of game comments so that it doesn't look so condensed.

We are looking into fixing it, doesn't touch functionality.

-comments load externally with disqus instead of being part of your page

Have you had any issues with Disqus being down?

-disqus doesn't work with web browser EI 10

Could you please try looking at this?

-I personally dislike the upvote/downvote system. I feel that this empowers trolls/flamers to hurt someone by downvoting every comment that their target posts.

Downvoting isn't visible to anybody but moderators and admins, and trust me we very well know who's trolling and who is not.

The most serious one I see you mention is the IE10 issue, I'm interested if that article helps at all. I can promise that a majority of IE users aren't having issues.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Would it be possible for us to set our own "Featured Comment" on our profile only? I don't think it would be used otherwise, so just wondering.

Showing 166-180 of 220