ForumsWEPRNon-gun weapons control

114 50431
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

There are many forms of non-firearm lethal weapons: knives, blunt instruments, bows/crossbows, etc. Since all of these can be and are used to commit crimes such as murder and armed robbery, should they be made illegal? At what point/and or what should weapons such as tactical/killing knives should be made illegal? Are these specialized knives useful tools for self defense, or should they be made illegal by the government? Since these weapons are much easier to obtain than guns (many can be made fairly easily too), what steps would be needed to enforce more restrictive laws against these weapons.

Finally, I will state my position. I believe that like just with guns, these weapons in question are only as bad or as good as the person that is holding it. I own many different types of tactical knives for self defense: machetes, kerambits, hunting knives, butterfly knives, etc..
I have no desire to use them unless when necessary to save myself from death or severe personal injury from an attacker(s).

• 114 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@samiel It's descriptive in the same way as a "Running" shoe. It describes what activity the item is for.

I have just realised we have wasted a considerable amount of time arguing over whether "Assault" knives exist.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Food for thought: I have taken martial arts classes... I know 7 different pressure points on the human body that I can kill someone with. I am technically an assault weapon capable of killing multiple people in a few seconds. Would you ban me? and how would you enforce it?

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Would you ban me?

The differences between you and a weapon.

1) You are necessarily trained.
2) Your body cannot accidentally inflict lethal/extreme harm on someone.
3) You cannot be taken/stolen by another person for lethal use.

A ban wouldn't make sense in this instance and isn't really comparable. Not that anyone is advocating banning all knives. I'm not even for banning any knives, they aren't a big enough problem to warrant any action.
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Would you ban me?

As @Kasic says, you are not a weapon. You are a person and therefore, can control yourself, unlike a knife, which needs a person to use it.. Oh and by the way, the government did attempt to ban people in the US in the 1960s. Remember the Civil Rights Movement?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Oh and by the way, the government did attempt to ban people in the US in the 1960s. Remember the Civil Rights Movement?

If you are talking about segregation, that concept has been around since, well, forever. And blacks weren't necessarily discriminated against because they were seen as a violent threat to others (although that was a part of it). It was more because of fear that American culture would collapse.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Yes a person can control themself that's the entire point. A PERSON is dangerous because that is the way they are, a weapon just sort of sits there. I have a bowie knife right here next to my computer, it has not killed anyone nor is it violent. If I told this very large, sharp knife to attack and murder someone what do you think would happen? Go ahead knife, kill. Go kill some one knife. Attack some one now. Either I have the laziest knife ever or a weapon itself poses no threat.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

a weapon itself poses no threat.

A weapon can increase a threat though. A madman with a knife is more dangerous than a madman without a knife.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

A weapon can increase a threat though. A madman with a knife is more dangerous than a madman without a knife.

Can't argue with that. I'm done with this thread it has run about twenty circles and isn't going anywhere new.
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

about a month ago i was in new york and this guy was there with a gang sword on his back it went like a foot to the side of him so if i wasn't looking where i was going i would of walked right in to it

Showing 106-114 of 114