ForumsWEPRBring the Companies back to the US!

29 14718
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Read this:
http://www.cnet.com/news/china-readies-home-grown-windows-replacement-for-fall-launch/

Maybe it's time for the greedy company owners to bring back their factories here and put the Chinese out of work since they seem to hate everything that is foreign.

• 29 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Last of all, for somebody accusing the Chinese of "hating everything that is foreign", you're actually coming over as awfully xenophobic.

Not really, I do hate the Chinese government though.

The US government is far from perfect but at least we don't end up in jail for talking or showing our disapproval.

Can you imagine all those anti-Obama clowns from Fox News?
If they were living in China they'll all be in jail by now.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Besides, why should companies value petty nationalism over profits? That's really rather naive of you - corporations are meant to make money; if they don't, they will collapse because a competitor has and has won over their investors.

Of course, if a weasel moves his company oversea he'll win over the competitors because of the cheap labor and he doesn't have to care about safe working conditions and insurance.
All the companies end up doing the same.

All those years and efforts to create civilized work environment gone because of some greedy business owners who could care less about putting their own countrymen to work. Money, always more money!
As if it was the only important thing in life.
On top of it, they moved to a Communist country, how hypocritical.

That's sad really.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

And I love how you call all of the Chinese paranoid, when that is exactly what you're being. Don't speak for an entire country that you don't know about.

I'm talking about the government, not the poor people who lives there and have to suffer mistreatment by a corrupted and ignorant government.

My rant is about the fact that American businessmen are willing to do business, (which also bring money to the Chinese government) in a country that has no respect for human rights.

If you like China so much why don't you go live there?

You might want to do some reading first.

I recommend reading the whole thing, it's really interesting.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/analects/2014/07/censorship-china

http://world.einnews.com/article/225555125/m6_mvCMvzZZqy5OR?continued=1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/17/china-internet-censorship_n_4981389.html

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/08/researchers-set-up-a-social-media-site-to-test-chinese-censorship-filters/

http://world.einnews.com/article/225473947/Ok3ofdEEh0sgU2sJ?continued=1

http://world.einnews.com/article/225408099/eAhG5fhbUBw_nc6B?continued=1

http://world.einnews.com/article/225289441/gsIT0TvRh0can3xP?continued=1

This stupid government causes it's own people to lose money because of the Internet paranoia. Sellers have a hard time communicating with their customers outside the country.

Just because a few rich corrupted weasels among the government are scared that the population might learn the truth about them and this idiotic party. Another proof that they don't care about the welfare of their own people.

You can't separate business from poor human living conditions even though greedy American businessmen try to ignore this fact.
So I'm saying bring back the companies here you traitors!

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

For the record, I did. Nice place, excellent food, insane quantities of rote-based mathematics.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

The Chinese government is behaving in the same manner as how Western governments used to act in the past. It is very hypocritical of us to condemn the Chinese, and expect them to abruptly jump from an authoritarian style of government a few decades ago, to a free and easy democracy like other nations. It is impossible to do so, and credit needs to be given to the government for vastly increasing the freedom of speech/rights to its people since the past half a century.

I feel that there is some self-indulgent insincerity in the sentiment of your posts. Whilst you claim that the Chinese government is wrong and gross in attempting to influence markets since foreign firms are crowding local companies out, you do advocate the US government reign in their own domestic companies to return to the States. If you are against the government meddling in economics, shouldn't US companies be allowed to carry out their operations as they deem fit instead of kowtowing to the authorities?

I think too, that the tone you utilise against the Chinese is a little exaggerated and hysterical. Claims such as the one made on the Chinese needing to be put out of work as they hate everything foreign do nothing to propel your arguments, but only cast eyebrow raising doubts on them.

The Chinese government are far from perfect, but they do try to act in the best interests of their state, and their people (Chinese government has for millennium centered around the core idea that the central authority needs to act in the same manner a father acts towards his family - a firm guiding hand towards what he thinks is the better course). It might help to look from their perspective once in a while.

From the point of view of the companies, it would make perfect sense to set up shop in a place where labour costs are cheap. It is a bitter truth, but truth nonetheless, that people will always go for whatever will save them money and resources. Instead of demanding that companies come back, it would do far more if the US government did enact policies to make operating in the US an attractive prospect. Reduce redtape. Boost education levels. More business friendly policies, etc.

As stated earlier, censorship in China is a completely different thing from US companies setting up shop China. We could perhaps start a new thread on the issue, or continue an increasingly muddled discussion.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

The US government is far from perfect but at least we don't end up in jail for talking or showing our disapproval.

No, instead young black men are shot in the street by those who are meant to protect us. Instead, protesters who are exercising their civil rights are harassed and harmed. Instead, we have a government that seems to be stagnant because no one is willing to do what it takes. Instead, we have murderers and rapists that get less time in jail than a teenager who had some drugs on him.

Yeah, we're just so much better off.

I'm talking about the government, not the poor people who lives there and have to suffer mistreatment by a corrupted and ignorant government.

China is still majority rural, and not urban. And again, please refer to my previous statement about America, and try your best to realize that we are just as corrupted and ignorant.

My rant is about the fact that American businessmen are willing to do business, (which also bring money to the Chinese government) in a country that has no respect for human rights.

Ah yes, human rights. Please refer to the current situation about gay marriage laws, the aforementioned Ferguson police matter, and a whole slew of other things that put us in the same exact boat as China. If you really want me to, I'll be more than happy to give you a book of sources.

If you're problem is with American BUSINESSMEN, then why are you so mad at the entire Chinese government? Because they are benefiting from American greed, that means it's all their fault?

I plan on it, actually. I study Chinese, and I make my best attempt to understand the vast Chinese culture that is largely ignored by most people. Sometime next year, or the year after, I plan on doing my study abroad in China.

Just because a few rich corrupted weasels among the government are scared that the population might learn the truth about them and this idiotic party. Another proof that they don't care about the welfare of their own people.

Did you mean: America? We are seriously exactly the same. We are FED information from all of these magazines and news articles and you will NEVER have the right information. Yes, we have more sources to pull from, but come on. Fox news, anyone? OUR government releases specific information to us, and people will pay big money to omit a few truths. Just because it was &quotublished" doesn't mean that it is automatically accurate.

I read a few of your articles. But in 3/4 I read, they all mentioned that China has a **** good reason to be weary of foreigners. Invasions, people trying to force their own form of government on the entire country, etc. China is DIFFERENT from most things you know. You may think that it's backwards, or messed up, or terribly awful, but you have no right to impose your own ideas on an entire country. You don't know their history, you don't know their culture, therefore you don't know their perceptions about life. Culture is directly linked to government in case you couldn't tell. Leave it to the citizens to change the way things are. Things will change, governments may fall, new things will arise. But leave it to THEM to figure it out, and then America won't be held responsible if things don't work out.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

No, instead young black men are shot in the street by those who are meant to protect us. Instead, protesters who are exercising their civil rights are harassed and harmed. Instead, we have a government that seems to be stagnant because no one is willing to do what it takes. Instead, we have murderers and rapists that get less time in jail than a teenager who had some drugs on him

Yeah that's a big generalization, not all cops are like that, their mission isn't to oppress people. .I don't make the law but if people stopped committing crimes they wouldn't end up in jail in the first place.

The protester in Ferguson had their message out, it was understood and some official are trying to do something about it. The protest should have stopped after that but they kept going and some street trash took the opportunity to cause trouble and burglarize innocent business owners.

China is still majority rural, and not urban. And again, please refer to my previous statement about America, and try your best to realize that we are just as corrupted and ignorant.

Again, the US government doesn't oppress its people, unlike in China.

Ah yes, human rights. Please refer to the current situation about gay marriage laws, the aforementioned Ferguson police matter, and a whole slew of other things that put us in the same exact boat as China. If you really want me to, I'll be more than happy to give you a book of sources.

No, they don't end up in jail for being gay and the black kid who got shot committed a crime. We need to get all the facts about it before we can be sure what happened.

I plan on it, actually. I study Chinese, and I make my best attempt to understand the vast Chinese culture that is largely ignored by most people. Sometime next year, or the year after, I plan on doing my study abroad in China.

More power to you.

I actually know much more about Chinese history that you may think.
They have a fascinating history and bad things happened to them throughout the Ages, like the Japanese who committed horrible crimes against them. The Chinese authorities committed many crimes against the Tibetans as well.

Did you mean: America? We are seriously exactly the same. We are FED information from all of these magazines and news articles and you will NEVER have the right information. Yes, we have more sources to pull from, but come on. Fox news, anyone? OUR government releases specific information to us, and people will pay big money to omit a few truths. Just because it was &quotublished" doesn't mean that it is automatically accurate.

We can still look for information elsewhere, using a proxy if we have too but the Internet isn't totally censored and once again, we don't end up in jail or tortured for trying to learn the truth.

I read a few of your articles. But in 3/4 I read, they all mentioned that China has a **** good reason to be weary of foreigners. Invasions, people trying to force their own form of government on the entire country, etc. China is DIFFERENT from most things you know. You may think that it's backwards, or messed up, or terribly awful, but you have no right to impose your own ideas on an entire country. You don't know their history, you don't know their culture, therefore you don't know their perceptions about life. Culture is directly linked to government in case you couldn't tell. Leave it to the citizens to change the way things are. Things will change, governments may fall, new things will arise. But leave it to THEM to figure it out, and then America won't be held responsible if things don't work out.

You might have read the part where their army's purpose is mostly for reprisal against their own people.
Throughout History, the Chinese government, warlords, emperors, etc have oppressed their population and that is a constant.

Since I live in a free country, I can say WHAT I want and what I think of the Chinese government and you're also free to disagree with me and in the end, we won't get arrested and tortured because of it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

China does spend more on internal security than on external security measures, but again, I feel your points are based mostly on hysterics, and irrational hate.

The Chinese have more freedom and rights than they ever had. We cannot expect them to suddenly have the same amount of liberty as advanced democracies today, because that would be forcing immense political changes that took the West centuries into a few decades. That is unthinkable and just unfairly raising others to the scrutiny of our own comfortable political standards.

I will not pretend to say that the Chinese use an undoubtedly high and iron fisted method to rule their people. But I will also not hide away from the fact that if they do not continue doing it, their country will implode, and all that has been achieved in the past two decades would be washed away in a flood of violence, separatism, and chaos. Firm, but not outright awful security control is the dam that keeps this in check.

For the vast majority of the Chinese populace though, the CCP has been doing a stellar job in getting the country back on its feet and on track. Maybe a tiny minority of politically inclined people will be angered at the censorship, but for the rest of them, it wouldn't be a total issue. For the average American as well, do they use the internet to actively debate politics, or to use social media, to play games, to surf sites of a rather more mundane nature? I think it's definitely the latter.

What the Chinese government really needs to act on however, is the gnawing issue of corruption. But that's another issue.

Back on topic, I still feel that if the States want their own companies to set up shop back home, than they themselves should step up on policies to make it a more viable and attractive place, rather than waste words on China.

Jagatai_Khan
Jagatai_Khan
312 posts
Nomad

Is this one giant what-if discussion? Because if you actually expect businessmen to say "K we have nuff money let's stahp" then you need to go back to business school. It's all profit, profit, profit. Nobody knows why it is the way it is. People are already ridiculously rich. There's no need for this expansionism.

But this isn't a perfect world. We will expand. We will step on the weak. We will violate rights. This is the world that is now. A world of homogeneity, where we try to fit in and finish school and get a good job and pay the bills and have kids and be happy with what we have and be thankful that we've got a better 'quality of life' than people in 3rd world countries. It's a giant rat race, and there's no winners. When it's all said and done, we're six feet under, and it doesn't matter how rich or poor you were when you were alive. What matters is how much you enjoyed it.So maybe instead of complaining about a world that you are not going to change, you should seek something you are passionate about, and do it until you're dead. Lead a life that makes you happy, and don't settle for anything less. Don't worry about foreign markets or nuclear war. When you die, you die. Crying about injustice never solved squat. Just seek to better yourself before you take it upon yourself to judge the world for wrongdoings. If complaining makes you feel fulfilled at the end of the day, and you feel like if you died right then and there you would have no regrets, than do so.

Peace and love, man. Peace and love.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Ha ha, I'm just venting.
I know that this discussion won't change anything and at the end of the day I go to bed like every other nights, without worries. I also don't hold grudges.
When I'm mad I let it out and I usually forget about it quickly. Keeping stuff inside and staying angry for a long time is bad for anyone's health.

I appreciate everything I have and I'm thankful for it knowing that I might not wake up the next day or get sick or killed in an accident or murdered, blown up, etc.

Life's too short.

I must admit that I like pushing people's button during a discussion, especially when they seem to take it way too seriously. xD

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I must admit that I like pushing people's button during a discussion, especially when they seem to take it way too seriously. xD

We all experience that phase, because we pour too much of ourselves into the argument, that we forget it's just a discussion, until it becomes a point of personal contention! Sorry if what I said was mean sounding!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

We all experience that phase, because we pour too much of ourselves into the argument, that we forget it's just a discussion, until it becomes a point of personal contention! Sorry if what I said was mean sounding!

No harm done.
Koshionos
Koshionos
881 posts
Jester

The &quotroblem" from a business aspect is that sourcing jobs in the US costs a lot of money. Take a look at the company I work for, for instance, we hire only in the US, all of our techs, tech support, repair, and customer service are located in the US and the US only. What occurs is higher prices on services you can occasionally find less expensive elsewhere.

It boils down to cost of operating, and as much as it may be terrible to have to explain the matter again and again to "Roy Rogers" in "Texas" (Fake name for an Indian Dell Tech support rep that I got.) If the corporations are spending less money and making more money, it is a win-win for them.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Okay wait, let's read what you said.

Yeah that's a big generalization, not all cops are like that,

Now please, please, please realize that you are generalizing all of China. Not all of China is composed of communist tyrants.

Again, the US government doesn't oppress its people, unlike in China.

All governments oppress their people, to some degree. You just don't approve of the level of "oppression" in China.

No, they don't end up in jail for being gay and the black kid who got shot committed a crime. We need to get all the facts about it before we can be sure what happened.

The black kid who got shot didn't commit a crime. It was suspected that he stole something from a convenience store, and it's not worth getting shot 6 times while unarmed The correct course of action would have been an arrest and questioning, not violence.
And like you said, we need to get all the facts. So once you get all the facts about China and how it's somehow their fault for US companies staying over there, please do tell me.
We can still look for information elsewhere, using a proxy if we have too but the Internet isn't totally censored and once again,

And so can they. Taiwan, anyone? People will go to Taiwan just to get access to a less restricted form of the internet.

China does spend more on internal security than on external security measures, but again, I feel your points are based mostly on hysterics, and irrational hate.

The Chinese have more freedom and rights than they ever had. We cannot expect them to suddenly have the same amount of liberty as advanced democracies today, because that would be forcing immense political changes that took the West centuries into a few decades. That is unthinkable and just unfairly raising others to the scrutiny of our own comfortable political standards.

I will not pretend to say that the Chinese use an undoubtedly high and iron fisted method to rule their people. But I will also not hide away from the fact that if they do not continue doing it, their country will implode, and all that has been achieved in the past two decades would be washed away in a flood of violence, separatism, and chaos. Firm, but not outright awful security control is the dam that keeps this in check.

^
nicho you're far better at being diplomatic and eloquent. I wish I cared enough to step up to your level.
Showing 16-29 of 29