ForumsThe TavernType with your accent!

13 6044
lord0ftiki
lord0ftiki
1,146 posts
Nomad

Name prihty much sums it up.
Just type the words the same way you say them.

I d-ow-t this will get many posters, as most ov you seem to be from the U.S, and Americans seem to take-stride in saying it exactly the way they spell it!

Eny way, feel free to just make conversation, and start by stating yaw accent.

• 13 Replies
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Someone from a different country should transcribe my words, it'll probably look a lot different than me spelling it myself.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Is there an American accent? Like, Indiana/Ohio accent? I mean there's a lot of people around here that talk like red necks, but I don't have that accent. I guess this is my accent.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Dis a forum game thingy or more a discussion on accents an' whatnot?

Dere are lotsa regional American accents. Mostly, ya don't hear it 'cause you're used ta it e'ryday, but any outsider could easily tell what jor accent is 'cause you'd be harder ta un'erstan'. If ya listen closely enough ya might make out da in'ividual soun's that make your speech a bit more unique from da rest uv America.

I'd be harder ta u'nerstan 'cause I slur my words and drop words n letters here n dere. I 'unno if dis a bit harder to comprehend, but it's harder ta type out. Course I could enunciate but who's got da time ta speak slow n clear?

Edit: Disa bit closer t'how'I'd actually sound:
Disa forum game thingy or mor'a discussion on accents an' whatnot?

Dere're lotsa regional American accents. Mostly, y'don't hear'it 'cause you're use't'it e'ryday, but any outsider could easily tell whatjur accent is 'cause you'd be harder t'un'erstan'. If y'listen closely enough y'might make out d'in'ividual soun's that make your speech a bit more unique from d'rest'v America.

I'd be harder t'u'nerstan 'cause I slur m'words and drop words'n'letters here'n'dere. I 'unno if disa bit harder to comprehend, but it's harder t'type out. Course I could enunciate but who's got d'time t'speak slow'n'clear?

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

IsupposeyoucouldsaythisishowItalk, thoughtit'snotrealylanaccentandmoreofjust "ITALKREALLYFASTALOTOFTHETIMEANDPEOPLEFREQUENTLYTELLMETOSLOWDOWN" andit'skindofapainwhentheydothatbecauseI'mtryingtogiveoutinformatinquicklybutnoooo, theyjustcan'tunderstandit.

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

I GUESS THIS IS HOW I TALK MOST OF DA TIME. IM ALL TOO LOUD AND PEOPLE ABSNOWLUTULY HATE ME FOR IT.

They all tell me to shut up, and i say, "NO THANK YOU!!! IM OK WITH TALKING LIKE THIS!!*Walks away with my infamous devilish grin on my face*

People hate me for it! especially my Latin teacher. Its pretty funny, until she gets angry at me.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Well, um, I meen if you're really curious about how I sound...I'd have to say it won't be too much a shock? (shock stated like I'm asking a question), GIVEn that I'm from the Midwest of Americaaassso I talk pretty standard in relation to pronunciAtion.

The big thing about how I speak, thoughissmy..emphasis on words and...tone of voice. Gennnerally speaking....I talk preeeety lackadaisical or...evenna apathetically.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Well, I don't think I tan talt lite I do in reel life.

~~~Darth Caedus

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Wéll íf yóú réálly wánt mé tó tálk wíth my áccénts, í'd bé hÃ&iexclpy tó óblígé. Thóúgh, í'm réálly súrpríséd by thé láck óf áccénts ón móst óf évérybódy's póst, bécáúsé hé óbvíóúsly méánt áccént by thé áccéntíng óf léttérs, dúh¡ Wéll, wórry nót fór í hád góttén thé jóké. ;-)

lord0ftiki
lord0ftiki
1,146 posts
Nomad

...I partly posted this because I'd to point out a lot of 'roper' spelling are now generally outdated. Such as; Any is actually pronounced Eny, Rose is pronounced with a z...I can't even imagine saying doubt the way its spelt.

It's strange with the American accent, because there are so fyoow changes compared to English or Australian.
Gotta love that Texan drawl, anyway.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

Gotta love that Texan drawl, anyway.

As someone who lives in Texas; No! You absolutely must not love that drawl!!!!!!!

So far as I'm aware I don't actually have an accent. Occasionally I can go a bit British after watching enough of their television. For a few days I almost started rolling all of my "R"s after watching anime. But apart from that I try to say things the way they are spelled, as long as it's not something weird that would sound stupid that way.

~Manly
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Any is actually pronounced Eny, Rose is pronounced with a z...I can't even imagine saying doubt the way its spelt.

[Not typing in accent] So then your interest actually lies not in accents, but in phonetic pronunciation of words.
enzomarista
enzomarista
1 posts
Jester

Hey, then i am supposed to type in another language? :P

#partiu seus recalcados!!!!!!!!!!!

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

I have a pretty boring accent, I literally talk just like this... If you could see me you would realize that it looks like I am using sign language when I talk because I move my hands and arms so much. My friend from russia says I am really loud as well, so I guess *waves arms frantically* HI GUYS! THIS IS MORE OR LESS HOW I TALK!
I do actually say they "L" in talk, as well as in walk and chalk. I say the "th" in clothes so I don't say it like close. I say then and than differently, some people say them the same way. Someone commented and said I say 'daft' oddly. I say it like dawft, with a more 'oh' sound than a sharper 'a' sound. I have a weird voice though... like I recorded myself and played it back and I feel bad for the people that have to listen to me all the time... My voice that I hear sounds much warmer and deeper than it really is, so there's that.
My mother was a teacher though, so she would WAY overpronounce things when I was learning how to speak, so I pronounce things more like a dictionary. Which is weird because a lot of people around me have southern accents and then you have me... who over articulates everything.
I so wish I had a cool accent, anything but the boring American accent.

Showing 1-13 of 13