ForumsWEPRWhat is God's Name?

66 39234
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Most people believe that Jesus is God's son, and that God sent His son down to save us from our sins. However, in some Bibles, the name of God is either mentioned as God or Lord. But those are not names, those are titles. So what is God's name?

-Please show evidence supporting your answer

• 66 Replies
231terminator
231terminator
87 posts
Nomad

yeah i agree with apldeap said, thats pretty much what i meant but the bible says the trinitys not supposed to make sense. legit it says that. but calling him any of those 3 things makes sense. Same as calling the devil, satan, or diablo. they all 3 mean the same, just different ways of putting it. in conclusion god has many different names and has been called many different names, the trick is that there is no one answer. oh and that thing about catholics calling it a divine mystery, yeah baptist believe in that part as well, it is just a mystery

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Same as calling the devil, satan, or diablo.

No. Those, along with others you didn't mention, are different names of the same entity. This is not the same as the trinity issue.
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Holy.. this is so political.

Though, if we aren't speaking of jesus and the holy trinity, I think god would be a name for the highest above. See, all religions have a god, the word god is just like a the word table. just a name to call something. Though I believe in God. capital G. It's too complicated but that's my way of interpreting it.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Same as calling the devil, satan, or diablo. they all 3 mean the same

Diablo is Spanish for Devil, in the same way that Allah is Arabic for God, so of course they mean the same thing. But Devil is Greek for "Slanderer", Satan is Hebrew for "Adversary". Although often used interchangeably as titles for a character, they do not mean the same thing.

See, all religions have a god

all *theistic* religions
R1a2z3e4
R1a2z3e4
116 posts
Shepherd

God is know by different names... You can also give him a good name

Dimf
Dimf
68 posts
Shepherd

God name is... GOD!)))

MikeyM123
MikeyM123
2 posts
Nomad

While it is true that the God from the Bible has many titles, he also has a personal name. In fact, God's name appears thousands of times in the Hebrew Scriptures, or "Old Testament" alone!

So what is God's name? In the Hebrew language, his name appears as four consonants, יהוה. Those four Hebrew letters are commonly transliterated YHWH. In English, a popular rendering of God's name is Jehovah, while Yahweh is another rendering. Thus, the Almighty God does indeed have a name. In the Bible, God said: "I am Jehovah. that is my name." (Isaiah 42:8; Psalm 83:18)

Additionally, the Bible says: "Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah." (Deuteronomy 6:4) Jesus quoted that scripture at Mark 12:29, which means he obviously both knew and used God's name. He even made God's name known to others, as he said the following when praying to his heavenly Father, that is, God: "I have made your name known to them and will make it known." (John 17:26)

Anyways, if anyone would like to learn more about Jehovah God and his Son, Jesus Christ, then you should consider checking out jw.org. Also, the link below contains helpful information.

- Bible Questions Answered (Simply click a topic or question that grabs your interest).

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

In English, a popular rendering of God's name is Jehovah

This rendering is based on a Latinization (not a translation) that originated in about 1270 (at least, that's the earliest recording known) when a Spanish monk named Raymundus Martini (or Ramón Martí) combined YHWH with the vowel sounds of Adonai, meaning "My Lord". The historical vocalization of YHWH has been lost since about 300AD because in Second Temple Jerusalem, usage of it was unfavorable, so they substituted Adonai or Elohim.

In the Bible, God said: "I am Jehovah. that is my name." (Isaiah 42:8; Psalm 83:18)

Depends which bible you're using. I'll assume this is The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.
DeathPickaxe
DeathPickaxe
71 posts
Shepherd

@apldeap123 - Just want to confirm some things. God is really, just God. He is The Messiah, our Lord, and at some times called the Father, but He is really just God.

@EmperorPalpatine - Listen, I know that you're Athiest, and I don't mean to judge what you think, or that picture, but God is Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. He is all three. It's complicated to think about, but that is the truth. And again, I don't mean to judge how or what you think about God, but your picture is WRONG. Sorry for being all 'in your face' about what I'm saying by the way.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Listen, I know that you're Athiest, and I don't mean to judge what you think, or that picture, but God is Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. He is all three. It's complicated to think about, but that is the truth. And again, I don't mean to judge how or what you think about God, but your picture is WRONG. Sorry for being all 'in your face' about what I'm saying by the way.

Sorry to interfere here, but if you are referring to the picture Emp posted on the first page, it says exactly the same thing as you said.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I don't mean to judge how or what you think about God, but your picture is WRONG.

That picture is of the Scutum Fidei, a visual representation of the Trinity that has been in use for hundreds of years. It's not something I made. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the Pope and other Trinitarians. I really couldn't care less.
DeathPickaxe
DeathPickaxe
71 posts
Shepherd

@EmperorPalpatine - You do realize that you're going to hell if you don't stop thinking this way and start doing God's way, right? This is serious. Do you even care about your ETERNAL destiny? I hope you get saved...

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@DeathPickaxe The point of the Scutum Fidei is to illustrate the point that it is all three simultaneously through God. God is the centre from which the concepts are connected. This is what Catholics, Anglicans, and Lutherans believe, at any rate. Unitarian churches don't, but I'm assuming that you aren't in one of those. In any case, it's a minor theological point, and adherence to it is more to do with attitudes to orthodox christianity than actual belief.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

You do realize that you're going to hell

I was raised JW without any instilled concept of a fiery hell for those not saved. Read more through MikeyM's links on the prior page to find out why your version of hell doesn't exist. On a related note, this is way the hell off topic. If you wish to discuss more, do so here.
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

@EmperorPalpatine

Meet you there, I guess. This discussion is getting very interesting. But I do have one question: Why did you decide to leave being a JW?

Showing 16-30 of 66