ForumsWEPRWhat is God's Name?

66 39314
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Most people believe that Jesus is God's son, and that God sent His son down to save us from our sins. However, in some Bibles, the name of God is either mentioned as God or Lord. But those are not names, those are titles. So what is God's name?

-Please show evidence supporting your answer

• 66 Replies
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

@DeathPickaxe

God, whose name, as revealed in the Bible, is Jehovah, is God. However, when you refer to him as the Messiah, that is incorrect. The title 'Messiah' is derived from the word ma-shi'ach, meaning anointed one. This word is also the counterpart of the Greek word Khri-stos, or Christ. Therefore, Jehovah is not both Almighty God and the Messiah. Jesus Christ is the Messiah.

You do realize that you're going to hell if you don't stop thinking this way and start doing God's way, right?

Let me ask you a question: At 1 John 4:8, it says that God is love. But if God is love, then why would he put people in a fiery hell, torturing them for all eternity?

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

You do realize that you're going to hell if you don't stop thinking this way and start doing God's way, right?

God only knows who's going to hell, not man.

But if God is love, then why would he put people in a fiery hell, torturing them for all eternity?

Some people say that hell is God giving you what you truly want- absence away from him. Hell is total absence from God, and people send themselves there. God gave us the option for all our lives; He made us in His likeness and image- not to be robots that are 'forced' to worship him.
That's what some people say.
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

On a related note, this is way the hell off topic. If you wish to discuss more, do so here.

(You're right this is getting off topic, sorry!!)
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

If you wish to discuss more, do so here.

Let's just make this the new Theism-and-Atheism thread.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You do realize that you're going to hell if you don't stop thinking this way and start doing God's way, right? This is serious. Do you even care about your ETERNAL destiny? I hope you get saved...

What are you even going on about...

Let's just make this the new Theism-and-Atheism thread.

pls no

-----

Personally, I just refer to the Judaic-Christian god as Yahweh..or god when I'm feeling a bit lazy. [quote]

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

God, whose name, as revealed in the Bible, is Jehovah, is God.

As stated earlier, Jehovah is a Latinized hybridization of YHWH and the vowel sounds of a word meaning "My Lord", not an actual name or accurate pronunciation.
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

Personally, I just refer to the Judaic-Christian god as Yahweh..or god when I'm feeling a bit lazy.

Interesting thing I heard- Yahweh was many times pronounced as a breath (or inhale/exhale). This was because breath was life and God is life as well (or... I guess because he created life)
Yah {like an inhale} Weh {exhale}

Correct me if I'm wrong, community!

DeathPickaxe
DeathPickaxe
71 posts
Shepherd

@EmperorPalpatine - So you don't care where you'll be forever? Burning, yet not burning? In hell forever? There won't be a way to change that. God is giving you many years, many chances. Take them, or you'll suffer.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

So you don't care where you'll be forever? Burning, yet not burning? In hell forever?

Again, off topic. Again, doesn't exist. Again, take it to the other thread.
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

God is giving you many years, many chances. Take them, or you'll suffer.

Not to be hypercritical Death, but scaring people with visions of eternal suffering isn't the best way to spread a good representation of what Christianity is. Christians already have enough false representations as it is (*cough *cough Westboro Baptist Church *cough cough*)
I understand your concern for people that dont share the same views as you do, but one of the best ways to spread your faith is through your actions.

Anyways this thread is getting pretty off topic.

God's name really just depends on what religion you are a part of. Even within the Abrahamic religions, God possesses many names and many titles (King of King, The Rock, ect.{Islam even has a passage in the Qu'ran about the 99 names of God} )

The Bahai faith refers to God as the Almighty, the All-wise, All-Glorious etc.

Sikhism has a few different names for God- True Name, Formless One, Timeless One and Waheguru (Wonderful Teacher bringing light to remove darkness)

Hinduism has Brahman is the 'soul' of the universe, I suppose. Hinduism is like a tree trunk with endless branches- Hindu itself is sort of derived from "From the Indus Valley" (something like that I cant remember) because Hinduism was the religion that the people in that region practiced. Generally though, many Hindus also worship Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva as well. There are also many different murta which are like spirits that Hindus look to in reverence.

In Zoroastrianism, there are 101 different names of God.

And finally, in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, they worship... well... a giant flying pasta creature.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

And finally, in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, they worship... well... a giant flying pasta creature.

I started laughing when I read this...

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

@DeathPickaxe

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1 John 4:7,8, KJV
How does the teaching of eternal hellfire line up with what the Holy Scriptures say about God?
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

How does the teaching of eternal hellfire line up with what the Holy Scriptures say about God?

I already mentioned something about this, unless you are looking for an answer from @DeathPickaxe himself
MikeyM123
MikeyM123
2 posts
Nomad

In the Hebrew language, his name appears as four consonants, יהוה.

Since I can't edit my previous post, for clarity, this should read: "The first part of the Bible was written mostly in the Hebrew language, and God's name was written down as four consonants, יהוה."

As stated earlier, Jehovah is a Latinized hybridization of YHWH and the vowel sounds of a word meaning "My Lord", not an actual name or accurate pronunciation.

As was previously mentioned, the way people in Bible times pronounced God's name is indeed not known. Because of this, some people, perhaps you as well, feel as though God's name, which in English is Jehovah, should not be used because it is not pronounced exactly as it was during the first-century.

However, it's interesting to note that the name Jesus, in Bible times, may have been pronounced as Yeshua, or perhaps Yehoshua, it's not entirely certain. Even so, people all around the world do not hesitate from using different forms of the name Jesus; they pronounce his name in a way that's common in their language. Simply because Jesus' name is pronounced and spelled differently in other languages does not mean a person must refrain from using it since it is not the exact pronunciation that was used in the first-century.

So too, in the first part of the Bible, God's name was written down in Hebrew as four consonants. These consonants are commonly transliterated as YHWH or JHVH. The English pronunciation of the Hebrew name that God gave himself is Jehovah; that is the common way to pronounce the divine name in the English language. Is God's name pronounced differently than it was in the first-century? Yes, but that's typically what happens when a name goes from one language to another.

Anyways, a helpful video on this topic for anyone interested (it's short and informative): Does God Have a Name?

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

unless you are looking for an answer from @DeathPickaxe himself

I am.

Showing 31-45 of 66