ForumsSupport Forum[Answered] User Authentication Error?

23 11862
Altwing
Altwing
23 posts
Scribe

I just tried to comment under a game and I could not. What does this mean: " You must authenticate the user or provide author_name and author_email"

I'm already logged in as myself, and ArmorGames already has my e-mail on file: I've been here for like 5 years and I have paid for many Premium Content in games. Anyway, I'd be happy to authenticate myself-- but the place to post comments just says: "You must authenticate the user or provide author_name and author_email" and doesn't give me any place to authenticate.

I'm posting THIS, so clearly I'm logged on. What's the error on the Armor Games side this time?

• 23 Replies
Altwing
Altwing
23 posts
Scribe

Thank you, that fixed it.

Whobghilee
Whobghilee
1 posts
Jester

Yup having the same issue too. Fixed it thanks

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

On a possibly related note, Disqus no longer recognizes that I'm logged in when I try to use the notification bubble. It redirects to a login prompt for which I have no login. This doesn't affect my comments, though.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@FishPreferred Is this still happening? @Ferret me if so.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@Ferret; yes. Whenever I try to use the inbox, it does this. Everything else seems to work fine in Firefox. The newer format for the popup window doesn't work at all in IE9, however, which is my preferred browser.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@FishPreferred Sounds like a blocker/privacy software issue. Could you try using a "Privacy" version of IE, I'm guessing it has one like Chrome/FireFox that should remove all add-ons in the browser.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@Ferret

@FishPreferred Sounds like a blocker/privacy software issue. Could you try using a "Privacy" version of IE, I'm guessing it has one like Chrome/FireFox that should remove all add-ons in the browser.

I tried that in both. I also tried to do a password reset, but the disqus account doesn't appear to be linked to the e-mail I use for AG. It does respond to a login attempt, with the message "We couldn't log you in. Please check what you've entered.", and I do have a fish_preferred@disqus[1] cookie, so it shouldn't be a security issue. Should my disqus password be the same as my AG password? Is there any way to check if it isn't?
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@FishPreferred Likely it has to do with your Disqus logging in conflicting with our login, the passwords shouldn't matter - just the accounts having the same e-mail I'm guessing? To show nothing is wrong with the account, i've posted a test post on your profile...

http://i.imgur.com/JkplyR1.png

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@Ferret.
Oh, there isn't a problem with posting. It's that comment notification bubble. It's stuck on 9+ because disqus won't let me see them without logging in first.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@Ferret; have there been any developments on this front? Should I submit a problem report (or whatever it's called) to the disqus IT crew?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@FishPreferred I'm pretty confused with your situation still. Are your Disqus account and AG account linked, or do you just have an AG account? If it's a linked issue, then yes - Disqus IT would be the way to go.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@FishPreferred I'm pretty confused with your situation still. Are your Disqus account and AG account linked, or do you just have an AG account? If it's a linked issue, then yes - Disqus IT would be the way to go.

I only have a disqus account through AG. disqus lets me post comments but won't let me go directly to my disqus profile or see my comment notifications. I've notified them now.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@FishPreferred Testing with your account...

http://i.imgur.com/3Ol1p5Q.png

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Strange... I'm still getting the login. Did you get a prompt at all, or did it work immediately?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@FishPreferred Worked immediately. Sounds like it may be firewall or privacy software related? It's somehow not letting you log into Disqus, maybe because it's not directly related to the website your on (Armor Games). Some really locked down security software settings will do that.

Showing 1-15 of 23