ForumsGamesUnderage Gaming: Should Kids Play CoD?

35 10411
Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

This recently came to me after I had a rage about what a woman had said in an article about the Lizard Squad Gaming Attacks.

In this article a woman was quoted to have said that her 8 year son and his friend had waited all month to get their xBox One for Christmas, Battlefield (yes, i know its a PS exclusive, but bear with me) planning to play Call of Duty, Destiny and similar style games together.

I personally object to this for several reasons:

a) These kids are way too young to play these games. As a 14 year old myself, I do play 16-rated games, but I see myself as an intelligent, savvy child who knows that this should never be done, whereas I see younger children entirely immersing themselves in these worlds, playing games in which they stab each other, use profane language at each other and act as if the game itself is real.

b) As far as I am aware, these kids were also too young to use xBox Live party chat, allowing them to talk with anyone they invite to their chat, and, in multiplayer games, anyone (because I believe the age required is 14).

c) I am sorry, but they are hell to play with if you have multiplayer chat enabled. I am not intending for this to sound ageist, but this is one of my personal views.

I am really just venting my anger, but I also want to know what the Armorian community think about this.

• 35 Replies
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Let's see, I must have to slightly disagree. The thing is, when I was about eight years old, I was playing games meant for teens and adults. My parents were worried about it, for awhile, until they realized how much these games actually stimulate creativity and imagination in the brain. I was playing games like Devil May Cry 3, Killzone, and an R rated game called Beatdown. It doesn't do much negative. Though that was a different generation of gaming. Gaming nowadays are online, and these kids are exposed to different people. What is shown online on CoD is unpredictable. Like the custom icons and clan badges. Also, people on mics and saying things children shouldn't hear. That's my only thought on this.

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

Wrong section, hopefully a mod will move it.

Of course, its all parenting. Clearly the parents don't see anything wrong with it. I personally think 8 is too young. My 9 year old nephew just got Halo and CoD Advanced Warfare. Do I care? (No, I got an N64--SCORE)
Well, I think video games such as these could be a little bit bittersweet.

First of all- there are points to be made about how video games themselves are beneficial. From personal experience, FPS game like Call of Duty have improved my ability to make quick decisions and improve my mental flexibility. (For example, outthinking an opponent). This is with the multiplayer. For the Campaign mode, players will often be subjected to hear very crude language and horrific gore that's not in the multiplayer. I am against this. In my opinion, in a culture with such a focus on sex kids shouldn't be exposed to more
I know- kids will see it on their own anyways.
I a approaching the 'suggested age' for these types of games and laugh. I have been playing FPS and violent video games for around three years. These games have not caused me to become a serial killer. I am a highly motivated guy. And you know what? I don't even play CoD any more. It just not fun for me anymore.

In conclusion- It is all individual- maybe for some kids it will act as a stimulus for anger outbreaks. Then that goes for parenting- take it away.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

An issue where I live is that the main age classification board is PEGI, who are completely incompetent. Mass Effect, Skyrim, and most Call of Duty games all earned 18 ratings, which isn't very helpful. If I were a parent, I'd probably play through a game myself before deciding whether it's what I deemed to be age appropriate for a specific child. Although as a rule of thumb, Call of Duty is definitely not suitable for people under 16, and probably should be 18+ only.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Wrong section, hopefully a mod will move it.

I made this one time. So I do believe this is in the right section.

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

I made this one time. So I do believe this is in the right section.

My apologies. I thought it was in the forum game section.

Although as a rule of thumb, Call of Duty is definitely not suitable for people under 16, and probably should be 18+ only

CoD has multiple producers, which almost take turns at making games. Not all CoD games are the same. Multiplayer should be rated different from the campaign. For example, in BO2, the campaign was very violent and such- much more than the competitive multiplayer, which had a focus on mechanics. (However, BO2 did have custom emblems, giving players the option of customizing pretty much anything in their teenage/young adult/whatever mind.... and we all know how THAT went...)

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Although as a rule of thumb, Call of Duty is definitely not suitable for people under 16, and probably should be 18+ only.

The game itself isn't the issue at all..it's the community in online play

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

The game itself isn't the issue at all..it's the community in online play

All the different first person shooters have very different communities. CoD has screaming abusive eight year olds, Halo has morose sounding french people, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has worrying people that don't speak.

Rokie06
Rokie06
47 posts
Nomad

Yeah I think COD might be a little uh how do you say it? Too much swearing in the campaign ,the multiplayer is nice though the chat can be muted (I think). On another note T to M rated games should be limited to teens and Adults only.I have this experience in a computer shop where my friend's cousin was playing there the same time as me,He played GTA V the kids convinced him to go to the strip club and hire a girl and you know what happens next and the kids actually liked it. This is just my personal experience. I just really hope these kind of games that should be banned to kids younger than 14? Or 18?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

^ Yes without a doubt, GTA is not for kids. Another rule of thumb parents should know.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I wouldn't encourage kids to play M rated games at a very young age. Parents should be able to make the call depending on their own child, however I wouldn't let a kid under 13 play one of these games. I also would make sure that they don't have a microphone, at least until they are a bit older, so that the community is less of an issue.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

it is annoying playing cod and hearing little kids but it doesnt really matter, i cant say much considering i grew up playing games like gta, resident evil, silent hill, devil may cry, and other violent games. as long as the kids dont go crazy and try to imitate cod in rl then why should it matter?

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

As a 14 year old myself, I do play 16-rated games, but I see myself as an intelligent, savvy child who knows that this should never be done

Too much special snowflake pls tone it down k ty.

The playground can be more corrupt and exposing than video games, these kids learn nothing new by playing them.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I'm on the same boat as blk, Drink, and the other one. It doesn't really matter if kids play games unless they have some sort of mental disorder, in which case I wouldn't want that. Let the kids have their fun.

As a 14 year old myself, I do play 16-rated games, but I see myself as an intelligent, savvy child who knows that this should never be done

You see yourself as an intelligent individual but you don't see other kids that way, in which case they should apparently not play M rated games. How do you think others see you when they also think they're intelligent?

red303
red303
7,571 posts
Shepherd

It is my opinion, while it definitely makes kids more violent, I suppose it's okay. The thing is, it's not only the kids on these games that are annoying. I was in a game yesterday with a screaming guy who was at least 20. Plus, the kids are fun to mess with.

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

I remember a time when Call of Duty used to be a series of T for Teen-rated games. Ironic that many kids happened to start playing the games once it became an M for Mature-rated series (I am referring to the ESRB since I'm from North America).

Showing 1-15 of 35