ForumsGamesUnderage Gaming: Should Kids Play CoD?

35 10410
Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

This recently came to me after I had a rage about what a woman had said in an article about the Lizard Squad Gaming Attacks.

In this article a woman was quoted to have said that her 8 year son and his friend had waited all month to get their xBox One for Christmas, Battlefield (yes, i know its a PS exclusive, but bear with me) planning to play Call of Duty, Destiny and similar style games together.

I personally object to this for several reasons:

a) These kids are way too young to play these games. As a 14 year old myself, I do play 16-rated games, but I see myself as an intelligent, savvy child who knows that this should never be done, whereas I see younger children entirely immersing themselves in these worlds, playing games in which they stab each other, use profane language at each other and act as if the game itself is real.

b) As far as I am aware, these kids were also too young to use xBox Live party chat, allowing them to talk with anyone they invite to their chat, and, in multiplayer games, anyone (because I believe the age required is 14).

c) I am sorry, but they are hell to play with if you have multiplayer chat enabled. I am not intending for this to sound ageist, but this is one of my personal views.

I am really just venting my anger, but I also want to know what the Armorian community think about this.

• 35 Replies
coppersmoke
coppersmoke
28 posts
Farmer

Anyone ever heard of the legendary "mute button" before? I have, you guys should look into that when playing with a little kid except for games without a mute button. I really don't care if kids play video games that are up to M. But they should not play games that are A.

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Anyone ever heard of the legendary "mute button" before? I have, you guys should look into that when playing with a little kid except for games without a mute button. I really don't care if kids play video games that are up to M. But they should not play games that are A.

A for Adults Only games (if that's what you're referring to) are few and far between. I doubt the kind of parents that buy their kids COD or any M for Mature games will find an Adults Only game at Walmart, GameStop, or whatever other store that sells games.

Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

imo, adults shouldn't even play CoD, it's a game where you kill people

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

A for Adults Only games (if that's what you're referring to) are few and far between. I doubt the kind of parents that buy their kids COD or any M for Mature games will find an Adults Only game at Walmart, GameStop, or whatever other store that sells games.

True. I can't remember the last time I've actually seen an above M rated game at a store before. CoD is just played by kids because it's one of the most popular games around, making it easier for parents to buy without care. Same thing could happen to worse games like manhunt if they hypothetically got as popular as CoD, but those games getting much mainstream attention is very, very unlikely.

imo, adults shouldn't even play CoD, it's a game where you kill people

Oh yes I completely agree. I mean it is after all common sense that a fake life is equal to a real one. I think that anyone who has ever killed a person in a game should go to jail because that's a bad thing and it is basically murder. I also think that everyone who has seen or heard of a gun should go to jail too, to make sure that they don't spread to our children. Let's just put the entire army in jail too so no one has thoughts of becoming violent. Also cops are really crazy violent too they should go as well. You know what, Mario has killed so many little goombas in his history. Everyone who has ever touched a Mario game should go to jail too because killing is wrong. Well now that I think about it, killing is in almost all video games. Let's just put everyone in jail who has ever thought of playing a video game ever. No more violence violence violence is just soooo bad
twillight2
twillight2
413 posts
Chancellor

You know what, Mario has killed so many little goombas in his history. Everyone who has ever touched a Mario game should go to jail too because killing is wrong.

A-men broda!

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

I can't remember the last time I've actually seen an above M rated game at a store before.

They actually don't put them on the shelves at all. Gotta ask if they have any in stock. Not like any of them are worth it though.

calwina
calwina
300 posts
Blacksmith

No,i do not because of those teenagers and their talks. they always do bad talk, I think campigan is better for the kids,didnt see any bad words in their

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

@Calwina

CoD is not the reason kids have horrible language. They just pick it up from everyone around them, some faster than others depending on their environment.

~~~Darth Caedus

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

didnt see any bad words in their

The campaign indeed does have bad words. Go to 7:30 in the video if you want to see one of them.

Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

Oh yes I completely agree. I mean it is after all common sense that a fake life is equal to a real one. I think that anyone who has ever killed a person in a game should go to jail because that's a bad thing and it is basically murder. I also think that everyone who has seen or heard of a gun should go to jail too, to make sure that they don't spread to our children. Let's just put the entire army in jail too so no one has thoughts of becoming violent. Also cops are really crazy violent too they should go as well. You know what, Mario has killed so many little goombas in his history. Everyone who has ever touched a Mario game should go to jail too because killing is wrong. Well now that I think about it, killing is in almost all video games. Let's just put everyone in jail who has ever thought of playing a video game ever. No more violence violence violence is just soooo bad

I'm not saying that they should go to jail, I understand that people have a freedom to play these kinds of games, but I just think that it has a bad impact on society, and I don't think it's healthy to be playing game where you kill people

However, if there is someone, and they need to express their anger with violent acts, then maybe the game can be a positive thing, since it can relieve their anger and aggression, and nobody is hurt irl

CoD is not the reason kids have horrible language. They just pick it up from everyone around them, some faster than others depending on their environment.

This is true, when I was in 5th grade, I heard some words that I'm shocked that a 5th grader would say I feel that I was scared in a way because of things like that

Yet again, CoD doesn't help, but I think that the main concern is the violence in the game and not the words used

Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

Also (I ran out of time on my previous post)

I am aware that kids games have death in it, they're good at hiding it with characters like goombas, but that doesn't make it ok, I never purposely destroy a goomba, but when I do, I get depressed, there can be fun games without having to killing things, but developers seem to think that it is necessary look at games like Tetris, not that every game has to be as simple, also, it would be nice if there were boss battles that don't result in you killing or committing any kind of violence, but finding another way to solve the problem, because there are better ways to do so, and I would love to see more games like this

waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

I don't really have a massive issue with younger kids playing games like CoD. It's a parenting choice and if they feel it's fine, then it's fine (though it is annoying listening to a middle schooler throw out every curse word he knows in a 10 word string).

What I extremely disagree with is that CoD is now being marketed at kids, as evidenced by the fact that there is now in existence CoD Mega Blocks sets.

ExitPathGirl16
ExitPathGirl16
56 posts
Nomad

What I extremely disagree with is that CoD is now being marketed at kids, as evidenced by the fact that there is now in existence CoD Mega Blocks sets.

CoD is being marketed at kids?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Like said before, CoD isn't that all bad until it comes to online play. At that part of the game, there is hardly any regulations towards mature content. It's unavoidable that there will be users cussing and saying mature content not meant for kids.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

It's unavoidable that there will be users cussing and saying mature content not meant for kids.

Wow, you don't say? An M rated game has mature content not meant for kids? Wow, who knew.

Also all you have to do is not get a mic. So it's pretty avoidable.

Showing 16-30 of 35