ForumsProgramming ForumWriter offering their services

5 4929
Sidewinder_Fang
Sidewinder_Fang
2 posts
Blacksmith

Ok, after playing yet another otherwise decent flash game with abysmal writing, I've decided to throw my hat into the ring, or whatever the proper expression is.

Lets face it, a lot of people who design games aren't exactly Shakespeare, for whatever reasons, maybe English isn't your first language or maybe you're just better at designing mechanics than crafting narrative, whatever the reason I'm happy to help with writing for your game.

Personally so far I've mostly written science fiction, however I'm willing to try my hand at fantasy or pretty much anything really.I can write description text, dialogue, overall story line, whatever you need, or just edit and review pre-written stuff. For those of you wondering, yes I have written for real games out there, though nothing major, and I can provide references and citations if asked for.

Any messages sent to me will be considered confidential and no information about current or upcoming games will be released, I'm not expecting any payment for this however if if I am involved in a project I would like my name in the credits.

So if you're a games designer looking for a writer just email me, I'll put my email below, or drop me a post on here, or message me on AG somehow, there's probably a message feature somewhere though I'll be suprised if I can find it. Might be best to give me a poke on here as well though since I rarely check my email.

Also if any of the AG moderators think this is in the wrong section or have some other beef with it, feel free to move it and/or let me know.

Whippet.s@Hotmail.co.uk

• 5 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Went ahead and moved this thread to the Programming section. You're a lot more likely to meet the kinds of people you want to meet in this area.

To be honest, though, I've tried a similar thing - offering up proofreading/translation services for game makers on the cheap. Getting into the so-called game isn't an easy thing - even though it's something that's desperately needed.

So best of luck to you, and hopefully you can help make the gaming world a better place for those of us who don't want to read a Google translated storyline.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Moegreche Had no idea, may take you up on that one day.

Sidewinder_Fang
Sidewinder_Fang
2 posts
Blacksmith

Thanks Moegreche, and I guess I don't really see myself as breaking into anything, I'm under no illusions that I'll ever get a real career in games, or that it'd pay the bills, and even if it did it'd probably make me even more jaded about them.

I'm thinking about going the old school route and writing a novel but that's going at a glacial pace due to lack of focus and my general laziness, don't worry to to any folks who are reading this though, that's mostly because I'm my own boss and I'm a really bad one. I'm generally way more productive when there are deadlines ahead and I'm being yelled at. :P

DarkoBones
DarkoBones
1 posts
Nomad

Hey how much games are there on armorgames

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Well, that's a very level-headed approach. What I meant by 'breaking in' is just even getting a gig in the first place.
What I've found is that many devs just don't have enough money to pay someone to proofread (or don't want to part the little money they have). All I ever wanted was just a few quid for beer money or something, but devs are reluctant.

But I would encourage you to try to get in touch with particular developers who have good games but poor English. And who knows - maybe a dev will see this thread or you'll get in touch with one who can actually pay you something.

Best of luck to you!

Showing 1-5 of 5