ForumsThe TavernWho is the best Footballer in the World?

39 13569
akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Who according to you is the best footballer in the world? Is there any reason for you choosing that footballer as the best?

• 39 Replies
akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

@R2D21999 likes Peyton Manning. Thumbs up for him.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Yesterday, I saw a few stunts by Messi. They were amazing

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Well, I don't think there's a definite choice to be made here, specially because the term "best" sounds a bit vague. :P

But, in my opinion, judging by positions and considering the current rosters:

-> Best goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer. (GER)
-> Best defender: David Luiz (BRA)
-> Best midfielder: Matuidi (FRA) or Pogba (FRA)
-> Best forward: Lionel Messi (ARG) or Zlatan Ibrahimovic (SWE)

Worth mentioning, however, Cristiano Ronaldo (POR), Karin Benzema (FRA), the defender Hummels (GER), the goalkeeper Tim Howard (USA) and so.

I don't have much understanding of football, so I'd like your thoughts on that

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

the term "best" sounds a bit vague

I meant "best" in your opinion. :-)

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Deleted a few posts... just remember to play nice from now on, ok?

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

@ScrewTheLag, you like the player who is liked by me.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

@ScrewTheLag, you are an Argentinian and chances are extremely high that you like Messi!

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@Roger721

Well, I don't think there's a definite choice to be made here, specially because the term "best" sounds a bit vague. :P

But, in my opinion, judging by positions and considering the current rosters:

-> Best goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer. (GER)
-> Best defender: David Luiz (BRA)
-> Best midfielder: Matuidi (FRA) or Pogba (FRA)
-> Best forward: Lionel Messi (ARG) or Zlatan Ibrahimovic (SWE)

Worth mentioning, however, Cristiano Ronaldo (POR), Karin Benzema (FRA), the defender Hummels (GER), the goalkeeper Tim Howard (USA) and so.

I think C. Ronaldo is a really great Forward and should be on your list of best forwards. Because Messi, Zlatan and C. Ronaldo all have my respect as really, REALLY, great forwards. Also G. Bale for best winger. The runs he makes are brilliant. Not saying these through factual statistics, but from what I've seen.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I feel sad because I'll never get to watch the old greats play, during the days when players wouldn't just roll over and flop like fishes for a foul or penalty. Disgrace.

I think it would be ridiculous to say that there's any one best player in the world simply because you don't rate footballers of different positions by the same measuring tape. Forwards get all the limelight, and it's no surprise that most of the ballon d'ors are won by them. But we don't rate defenders by how fast they are, how cool they are in front of goal, or how prolific they are. Same goes for a midfielder.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I think it would be ridiculous to say that there's any one best player in the world simply because you don't rate footballers of different positions by the same measuring tape. Forwards get all the limelight, and it's no surprise that most of the ballon d'ors are won by them. But we don't rate defenders by how fast they are, how cool they are in front of goal, or how prolific they are. Same goes for a midfielder.

I played as winger for my old team, no one really pays attentions to the assists I make. It's like having a thousand assists don't measure to a single goal to the viewers eye. Though, great defender moments are also looked over.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

So, @ScrewTheLag, What do you want to imply?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

He's implying a couple of things.

A) That a number of football players dive and get fouled too easily (wholeheartedly agree).

And B) Only the forwards matter to most viewers these days. Which is true, most of the fettered players in the limelight are goalscorers. Who cares about that gritty midfielder with lots of graft, or that centreback who has supreme positional sense? Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar, Ibra, Rooney, Costa, Aguero, Kane (!), these are the numbers that immediately spring to mind for most people whenever the word football is sounded. You get my drift.

C) Football is increasingly turning into a sport dominated by money.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

A) If that was what he was trying to say, I then completely agree!
B) Those are the ones that come to my mind too, once a topic regarding is spoken. (I think I should change that sort-of-a-habit from now on)
C) I am saddened to hear that.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

@robocop83, He is a Bulgarian footballer, right?

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Pele sure deserves it, @robocop83!

Showing 16-30 of 39