ForumsGamesHow much on a gaming PC?

16 5975
Zuko123
Zuko123
2 posts
Nomad

Hi, guys. I have a computer, but it's really weak and I've been thinking about building a new one. I want it to run GTA V on highest graphics at 60 fps. So, my question here is, how much money do you guys think I'd have to spend on a machine like that? I'd like to hear what you guys think and I could use some advice.

• 16 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

@Zuko123 I've never played GTA V but from what I've heard and seen I would guess you'd have to pay nothing under about 1000$ to be able to max it out at 60 FPS. But that estimate may very well be a bit low.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

A graphics card strong enough to handle maximum settings with true 60fps would be GeForce GTX 980, which is already $699 at average price. You can already tell where this is going if you add in gaming processors and other gaming setups.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

My sources tell me that for a perfect Gaming Computer you need to buy each part and build it yourself. Minimum should be set to 4 000. But only if you want top notch gaming computer.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@xerox you're right, but since he's just talking about GTA V, he doesn't need one that strong, though it would be good to have a gaming rig like that, you wouldn't need to upgrade it for at least five years. lol, I wish I could buy things like that as if it wouldn't hurt my wallet.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

If you go for 8gb GDDR5 for your GPU, which is a completely insane amount, you still probably won't spend more than 3500 max as long as you build it yourself. That 4000 min statement is ridiculous, unless you want to run two instances of GTA V at once.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

My 50$ Windows 2000 lag machine is more than enough to run GTA V as smooth as silk! Why would you ever remove the hunch back look of the monitor? The ballistic fan as loud as balls? The fact that if somebody is using the phone, you can't use the computer?!? Save 500$+ and get yourself one of these 50$ lag machines! =^)

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

thats why i only buy indie games and visual novels off steam and get newer games on consoles, pc gaming gets too expensive with all the upgrading

for gta in 60fps and 4k and such, couple thousand probably.

UgAhgItHurts
UgAhgItHurts
259 posts
Peasant

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ for general ideas.

I'd say $1500 max unless you really have money to burn. The payoff for double the price isn't that much. I don't know GTA5, but it's certainly not GTA4 (one of those games that just won't run well now matter how much computer you throw at it).

Definitely go for a decent motherboard + power + cpu. You can go with a lesser vid card and upgrade when the price falls on what you really want to use.

Lysceed
Lysceed
15 posts
Nomad

GTA V is actually a pretty well optimized game - hitting 60fps on any decently modern machine won't be difficult. I would think you could keep it under $1500, like UgAhgItHurts said.

It also depends on your monitor. I'll assume 1080p? 1080p is fairly easy to push these days.

The main factor will be the graphics card. You can pick up a 290X for around $300, which is a steal. the 300 series will be out toward the end of June, if you want to wait until then, but the 290X is a really good deal right now, and for 1080p, will be more than enough for you. The NVidia equivalent would probably be the 780 ti, or if you want the new generation the 980, but both of those run $400-$500, so it gets more expensive.

The second thing to consider is the CPU - I'll assume you don't want to overclock, as it makes it a lot more complicated and it can get more expensive as well. You could go with something as simple as an i3, or get a Xeon equivalent of an i7 if you really want to, because it will have similar performance without the overclock. If you want to go the AMD route, both the 6300 and the 8350 are popular, and are cheap to overclock as well - you would want to get an aftermarket cooler if that were the case.

Here's a build I made for you. It doesn't account for an operating system, which you'll need (probably Windows), but I got it to within roughly $800, and it should be able to handle GTA V just fine. Second build is around $900 with a more powerful CPU. I also got it to be roughly themed for you The case doesn't really matter as long as it's good. I've heard good things about the S430, but you could choose the H440 (which I have) or the Fractal Design Define R4/5, or any other one, if you want.

$800: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PQ96Vn

$900: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nKggxr

If you want any other suggestions (Intel/NVidia build, AMD/AMD build, etc. etc.), feel free to let me know.

(Also, keep in mind you have to get a wifi card if you don't want to or can't use ethernet. I use the Intel 7260, which is rather expensive, but it comes with Bluetooth.)

internetkabel
internetkabel
13 posts
Shepherd

My brother managed to find a site where you can buy parts loose from eachother and than built it together, which only costs about 1200 - 1500 euros. Which is around 1400 - 1700 dollars now (**** YOU WALL STREET, WHY ARE YOU MAKING THE EURO SO LOW IN PRICE!!!???)

Thomas1st2
Thomas1st2
1,943 posts
Peasant

I spent £700 ($1000) on my PC built it myself; runs highest settings on GTA V with 60 FPS. I can spec's if you wish; but as others have said Grand Theft Auto V is extremely well optimized so it doesn't require an incredibly beast machine to run.

Also having said that the difference between low settings on GTA and highest settings isn't a massive drop - the game still looks really pretty even on the lowest settings, so possibly take that into account when buying your PC/Parts.

Edit: I'd be happy to post my specs if you wish.

Celia1307
Celia1307
6 posts
Nomad

why you need buy a computer,the game console is ok,my game console JXD S7800B have this game.i think you deverse to own it.

LigeLeech69
LigeLeech69
23 posts
Nomad

I spent around $5000 on mine, for a double quad core, Superclocked Graphics Card, and a sweet fan that is black. I can only run GTA 5 on medium settings though, and I don't know why. It may be my windows 98.......

EeveeFan
EeveeFan
5 posts
Nomad

I think it really depends on how much you are able to build yourself, and how many "experiential" things you're willing to skimp on. For example, if you want something that's not aesthetically pretty, not quiet, and not cool to the touch, you can probably build a machine that can run GTA V at full specs for under $1k.

Also, laptop vs. desktop is really important -- desktop CPUs will be much easier to customize and inasmuch will be more cost-effective.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

My friend spent $1,000 on BUILDING a gaming PC, its a total bust now. My advice to you buy one don't make one. This laptop I'm using is nothing fancy and doesn't give very fancy graphics but it does the job. It's no more than $500

Showing 1-15 of 16