ForumsWEPRShould the Boston Bomber get the death penalty or life?

56 25525
yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

There is a guy named Dzhokhar Tsarnaev who bombed people in Boston during the Boston Marathon and his brother died so he blamed him. Then he wanted life in prison, but people are saying he should die. What do you think? He also flipped off the camera in jail.

• 56 Replies
Greg7077
Greg7077
824 posts
Jester

@scarlet53 I think he should rot in prison because he wants death.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I don't think anyone should get the death penalty. First off we have cases where a person is given the penalty, but hasn't actually committed the crime. With life in prison there is some hope of giving back to a wrongly convicted person.

Setting that point aside for this particular case. The death penalty is more costly than life in prison. It takes far more legal processing to reach a death penalty than life in prison. That goes back tot he tax payer. So we aren't really doing ourselves a favor by killing a person, even if he really committed the crime.

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

I don't think anyone should get the death penalty. First off we have cases where a person is given the penalty, but hasn't actually committed the crime. With life in prison there is some hope of giving back to a wrongly convicted person.

Setting that point aside for this particular case. The death penalty is more costly than life in prison. It takes far more legal processing to reach a death penalty than life in prison. That goes back tot he tax payer. So we aren't really doing ourselves a favor by killing a person, even if he really committed the crime.

Your second point refutes your first one. When the death penalty is given to an offender, it often takes years for the execution to actually take place; the average death row inmate spends over a decade in prison. That supplies plenty of time for a wrongly convicted person to be acquitted. I agree 100% with the second point you make though.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

scarlet53 I think he should rot in prison because he wants death.
When did he say that, exactly?

Your second point refutes your first one.
No, it doesn't. This is about the rare occasions where a case is reexamined years later in light of new evidence, not the repeal process.

I condone the death penalty, but I am opposed to its being issued on any grounds which may be overturned, unless specifically requested by the accused.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

If other radical Islamists are inspired by his "martyrdom", there are two words they are painfully aware of: Predator Drones.
That doesn't even begin to make sense.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The other prisoners should be forced to do hard manual labor for the rest of their lives. There is nothing more punishing than that.

There is: having nothing to do all day, for years. At least manual labor keeps you somewhat active, inactivity can be harder to bear. But I agree on the manual labor part, however it should be something productive for society.

I think he should rot in prison because he wants death.

He tried to flee, that is generally a good indicator that someone does not wish to die.

Your second point refutes your first one. When the death penalty is given to an offender, it often takes years for the execution to actually take place; the average death row inmate spends over a decade in prison. That supplies plenty of time for a wrongly convicted person to be acquitted. I agree 100% with the second point you make though.

As recent cases have shown, it can take considerably longer to discharge innocents...
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The extra expenditure doesn't come from them just sitting around eating up resources. It's all the legal processes that have to go into it in order to get a death penalty.

For example we have an analysis of cost for Washington State. The death penalty costs an average of 3.07 million while not seeking the death penalty costs 2.01 million.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documents/WashingtonCosts.pdf

thebeast782
thebeast782
63 posts
Nomad

I do understand that killing this person really won't do anything but god...
Many dead, hundreds injured. Yeah, this man deserves to be hanged.

What ever he thought, he should know, if he gets life: You will be picked on, gang assault or probably killed.

He should pray that he gets the death penalty. If you're killed in prison, it's never pretty.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I do understand that killing this person really won't do anything but god...
Many dead, hundreds injured. Yeah, this man deserves to be hanged.
You should never presume to know what any person or any thing deserves. That's an irrational justification.
Showing 46-54 of 56