ForumsWEPRFree Speech or Hate Speech

16 15582
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Some of you have probably already heard about the recent shooting at an event called 'Draw the Prophet'. This was an art contest in Garland, Texas, USA that offered a $10,000 (USD) prize for the best cartoon depiction of the prophet Muhammad. Such depictions were the catalyst behind the Charlie Hebdo attack, as some Muslims feel that such depictions are blasphemous/forbidden.

As the event was wrapping to a close, two armed gunmen drove into the shopping centre where the event was being held. They opened fire on an unarmed security officer, who was injured, and were then shot and killed by police officers already on the site.

My question is this. Was the event itself an exercise in free speech or was it a case of hate speech? Put more broadly, should such events be protected by relevant free speech laws?

As a bit of perspective on the issue, the event was organised by Pamela Geller - an outspoken activist against what she called the Islamization of America and a co-founder of the American Freedom Defense Initiative (AFDI). The Southern Poverty Law Center classifies the AFDI as a hate group.

Geller also paid for ads on metropolitan public transportation in several large cities, one of which read: "In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad." I only mention this because these ads were considered protected under the free speech clause of the First Amendment of the US constitution. So there may be some legal precedent for this art contest to also be protected.

On the flip side of things, here's a definition of hate speech I found (it's the first result on a Google search):
In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.

So what do you think? Should events like this art contest be protected by free speech laws, or are they cases of hate speech? Would this also apply to, say, Charlie Hebdo? Where is the line?

• 16 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

speech that offends, threatens, or insults groups

that is a different definition then what i'm used to from my country...
i mean... "speech that offends / insults" ... really? i should be in jail my whole life then.. xD
in my country hate speech is called "incitement to hatred".
what means that it is not a direct offend/threat or insult towards a group or person. but inciting other people to hate a particular group or person.
Showing 16-16 of 16