ForumsThe TavernAmerican high schools~

33 13363
Iwannaeatyou
Iwannaeatyou
10 posts
Nomad

Hey there.

So, I am gonna change locations, and I am quite nervous because I will be studying in America. I have some questions that I have to ask, so please if you can, then answer me. I promise I won't eat you.

So here are the questions....

1. Do you guys have Textbooks? Or you just write down the notes that your teacher gives you?

2. Do you guys have clubs? Like in Japan?

3. What are those lockers for? Where I am living, we don't have lockers.

4. What do you do if someone bullies you? Can you beat them up?

5. How do you guys study at home?

6. How do the tests and exams work there?

Please answer them. DDD

• 33 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I've never gone abroad

Yeah you have. You went to China and stuff last year.

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Really? Questions unanswered......

Iwannaeatyou
Iwannaeatyou
10 posts
Nomad

Hello again! I have some new questions this time, please answer it if you know. :')

1. Do you guys take lunch to school? Or school provides it? Does the school provide it for free or do I have to pay?

2. I have a language test tomorrow, on English, does anyone have any idea what type of questions they would ask and have any tips for me? (I think it will be like a placement test)

3. Do you guys have any experience on Maze day?

I am in California.

Thanks!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

1) You can bring lunch if you want or you can pay for lunch at school.

2) Probably multiple choice on grammar and reading.

3) Never heard of it.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Do you guys take lunch to school? Or school provides it? Does the school provide it for free or do I have to pay?

You could either bring a lunch or buy it at school. Also yes, usually you do pay for it.

I have a language test tomorrow, on English, does anyone have any idea what type of questions they would ask and have any tips for me?

Expect vocab words maybe. I don't know how your class does it.

Do you guys have any experience on Maze day?

I don't but apparently it's a day for the blind and visually impaired at the UNC Chapel Hill Campus.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

1. Do you guys take lunch to school? Or school provides it? Does the school provide it for free or do I have to pay?

You can bring a lunch or buy it. There are financial aid possibilities that would allow you to receive lunch for free or at an extreme discounts. The quality is poor though, and definitely not worth what they charge.

2. I have a language test tomorrow, on English, does anyone have any idea what type of questions they would ask and have any tips for me? (I think it will be like a placement test)

A lot of it will be multiple choice and/or fill in the blank questions that ask you to complete a sentence, find a nym (synonym, homonym, etc), or define a word. There's also likely to be 2-4 short essay questions at the end.

I have no idea what that is. My high school never had it.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

It's not really free, I think? They usually include it somehow? I can't help you with this one since I'm spoiled and bring a packed lunch.

The English tests I usually have are based on books that we've read in class, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're going to take. I think it'll be something on like grammar and spelling and use of language? This probably isn't very helpful. Good luck on your test by the way!

I haven't heard of that either.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

For all of you who are wondering what Maze Day is but didn't bother to look it up, in Fremont, California, it's just a different term for something pretty much every high school does.

Maze Day is where students and parents receive student schedules, take yearbook pictures, obtain student id cards, purchase a number of items for the school year as well as sign up for clubs and express interest in sport teams.

Taken from here. If you live in Fremont, @Iwannaeatyou, or this sounds like your high school's description of what Maze Day is, it's nothing intimidating. All you have to do is show up and people will tell you where to go and what to do. Keep your clothes in mind too, as you will probably get your picture taken.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

For all of you who are wondering what Maze Day is but didn't bother to look it up

I did look it up. My top google results were an online registration form for Freemont, something from the University of North Carolina about students spending the day on a computer while other students are on a field trip, and a bunch of links asking me if I meant The Maze Runner.

Iwannaeatyou
Iwannaeatyou
10 posts
Nomad

Yes, I live in Fremont. What should I wear for the yearbook photo? A suit?

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

That would be Formal. But maybe yes......

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

Now i feel like the rest of the questions have been answered very well, but i just have to throw in my opinion on #4.

If you are bullied, ride it out a bit. Get used to the slang and the insults you hear around you in school, and if dealt with in a confrontation, insult him. It may seem childish and rude, but remember, they're teenagers. Words hurt us all. Throw a couple punches, those bruises will heal up soon. But words stay. Learn to be fluent with your words and use them to your advantage. Insult the bully enough he might leave you alone. If the problem persists, you maybe be called names for it, but its the right thing to do. Tell an adult about it. Make sure it stops for good. Some bullies stop for a couple of days after being told on, then start back up. Make sure they stop. If your a big guy, flaunt off your muscles, show them you aren't afraid to swing a few. But only fight if they start first.. This is all from experience I've been bullied all my life. But just try to not get on their bad side. If you slink around and act weak, they will think you're weak and pick on you. Be strong, be sure about yourself. There's nothing a bully hates more than someone who is self confident. they feed off others pain and insecurity to cover up their own,

Hope that helped at least a little bit! Anything i can do for someone new coming into an American school!

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

And before anyone says that South American Schools are different from North American Schools in this aspect, they're not.
Just from looking at casual news and reading reports from up there I know enough and it's exactly the same.

As someone who has gone to both southern and northern schools, I can tell you they are different. In the south people are typically friendlier and more polite. In the north I wouldn't say they are mean, but they are just less nice and more focused on whatever they want to do and not on the people around them. I've seen fewer instances of bullying in the south than the north.

I'm not quite sure why bullying was brought up. We don't want to scare the op or anything, and bullying is something that you typically figure out as it comes along. Bullying is not a very common thing, and there are usually easy ways to solve the problem unless it is very serious, which is not super common.

Basically don't prepare for bullying, that's a really negative way of thinking and probably won't help. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine once you adjust to the new school.

Iwannaeatyou
Iwannaeatyou
10 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the tips guys. I went to the maze day and got my schedule. But I never chose any subjects when I entered the school. There is "digital photography 1", I don't know how it came here.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried and go talk to the school office? Thanks

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Is this normal? Or should I be worried and go talk to the school office? Thanks

I mean if you didn't pick any classes, is your entire schedule just random things? I'd suggest going to the office if that's the case.

However, if you do want to take Digital Photography 1 and the rest of your schedule is fine, I guess you're all right then.

Showing 16-30 of 33